• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Performance of Amps in Active Speakers

Vintage57

Forum Donor
The Genelec 1237 and 1238 have their electronics in a detachable, rack mountable box on the back. Seems like a perfect solution to me.

...and Neumann

Vintage57

Forum Donor
From the Neumann website.

Installation flexibility
  • Remoteable electronics (REK 4) for ease of installation, less cabling, and convenience of use

Marcelo La Plata

The K&H O300D (predecessor of Neumann KH310) exclusively uses MC33078 opamps and 4 x TDA7294 [1] (running at +/- 40V) for the power amps (1 each for mid and high, 2 in bridge mode for low). Audio signals pass through 8 to 10 opamps before reaching the TDAs.

Source: schematics of the O300D - sorry I'm not shure whether I'm allowed to publish them.
[1] A note in the schematics hints that TDA7293 may have been used as well.

Ltig, It is posible that you send me the schematics of the O300D? I will not sen it to any third party and not publish them. I am interested in study them to learn more about active loudspeakers..
Regards,
Marcelo.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Installation flexibility
  • Remoteable electronics (REK 4) for ease of installation, less cabling, and convenience of use

Yep, now makes a lot of sense more for setups like this:

1572105655675.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor

Installation flexibility
Ah yes. But God Neumann accessories are overpriced: the fucking grill for the KH310 is 150€/piece and that cheap stamped steel rack is $599 (and hard to find).

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Ah yes. But God Neumann accessories are overpriced: the fucking grill for the KH310 is 150€/piece and that cheap stamped steel rack is $599 (and hard to find).

Agreed

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know. Still I bought those grills for my K&H O300D as protection (probably the same as for the KH310). They are very stable and you can hit them hard with your fist without doing any damage to both grill and chassis. Markus Wolff (chief developer) told me that it is possible to measure their influence on the sound but it is so small to be inaudible.

A colleague bought the KH420 and was shocked about the price of the matching grills: some € 750.- per pair if I remember correctly. He refused to buy them.

But still those grills cost less than 10% of the price of the speakers. And cheaper than highend speaker cables you don't need ...:p

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ltig, It is posible that you send me the schematics of the O300D? I will not sen it to any third party and not publish them. I am interested in study them to learn more about active loudspeakers..
Regards,
Marcelo.
Sorry, can't do. :(

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I didn't upgrade, but I can't find the 400 specs on the site anymore.

I don't know how different they are, other than 40 more watts.
There are some tiny improvements to numbers that were already way beyond good enough. The only interesting change was the addition of the 10w distortion measurement, they didn't quote that before.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Linn and Naim also offer that. I'm sure Linn have external DSP amp options as well these days.
Yeah. I've never been able to comprehend the logic behind their DSP applications.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Could you name a few?
Probably a very incomplete list.

Sensor based motion control for more than subwoofer duty:
http://www.backesmueller.de/en/b-m-technology.html
http://www.silbersand.de/ (sorry, german only as it seems)
https://schanksaudio.de/ (sorry, german only as it seems)
On some of the models by these mfgrs. output impedance features are present, notably as current drive for the tweeters.

Output impedance features:
https://www.psiaudio.swiss/technology/
And Kii and Grimm (not exactly clear about the latter).
And Adam F5/F7, an example for a budget active speaker.

Top Bottom