• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

People with SMSL SA300 - Do you use Direct or SDB.

Hotwetrat

Or anything else.

I use Direct, my question is to people who use SDB, I would be interested to know what your personal reasons are?

Thanks.

Melvinne

DIR. I found SDB to be heavy on the bass/mid-bass with my KEF Q150’s in a near-field desktop setup.

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

Appreciate this, god to know cheers.

manokaiser

I use both, occasionally.
I like the bass a bit thick, so most times I use Direct with a 3dB, 100Hz low shelf filter, when I can play louder.
Afterhours, I often use SDB with lower volume to lift the lows a bit more, like a loudness control.
I like SDB, though it's not very clear what it does. Supposedly it adapts to the signal to enhance the lows, in a dynamic manner.
I mostly use Spotify. Obviously there is the low boost, though S.M.S.L claims SDB restores the dynamics of compressed files, in general.
I am not aware how, neither I could find any further relative information.
Nevertheless, it's cool to have it.
Tone controls are also very useful to fine tune the differences of recordings, if you bother to.
On my computer as a source, I have parametric EQ filters, (EQAPO & Voicemeeter Banana), to do the fine tuning, so it's mostly Direct.
When I use other sources, SDB comes very handy!

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

I use both, occasionally.
I like the bass a bit thick, so most times I use Direct with a 3dB, 100Hz low shelf filter, when I can play louder.
Afterhours, I often use SDB with lower volume to lift the lows a bit more, like a loudness control.
I like SDB, though it's not very clear what it does. Supposedly it adapts to the signal to enhance the lows, in a dynamic manner.
I mostly use Spotify. Obviously there is the low boost, though S.M.S.L claims SDB restores the dynamics of compressed files, in general.
I am not aware how, neither I could find any further relative information.
Nevertheless, it's cool to have it.
Tone controls are also very useful to fine tune the differences of recordings, if you bother to.
On my computer as a source, I have parametric EQ filters, (EQAPO & Voicemeeter Banana), to do the fine tuning, so it's mostly Direct.
When I use other sources, SDB comes very handy!

Good stuff cheers

manokaiser

Here is a view of SMSL filters.
It's from DA9 Amp, which uses the same chippers, it's reasonable to believe the implementation is same as SA300.
Direct starts flat, with lowering the input signal -6dB to allow headroom for other filters.
SDB seems to be a low and a high shelf.
It boosts ~3dB the lows and ~2dB the highs. Much like a loudness control.
I think it's awesome at low volume as it balances the changes in our perception of sound with amplitude differences.

Attachments

• SMSL Filters.jpg
    SMSL Filters.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,104
OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

Thanks I appreciate that, interesting stuff.

So many damn filters I have to choose from 6 on my Sanskrit 10th MKII as well - I honestly still haven't fully grasped/figured these out.

I just stick with direct on my SA300 however will consider trying SDB next time I listen at very low volume.

SOUNDSONIC

Agree with manokaiser. My method is almost the same with his.

Another factor is the speakers. If its not bass efficient then the SDB comes in handy.

Moosi

DIR. I found SDB to be heavy on the bass/mid-bass with my KEF Q150’s in a near-field desktop setup.
Im using the very same speakers and I found "SDB" to be really good at volumes up to ~30. It does seem to shift all instruments and vocals a bit more out of the speakers into the room, giving them more presence and thickening the bass without overtuning it in my opinion. That is said without using any sub of course. With a sub and playing loudly >30, I would always use direct mode.

Top Bottom