• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

People on, or witnessing, the SR1a hype train... how does it compare to the Mysphere?

ChickenChaser

I'm inclined to think the SR1a probably justifies and deserves its reputation, but how much of the attention the SR1a is getting over the Mysphere is just because it's the newest flavor of the month and how much is because people really prefer its specific voicing/etc.? After hearing Stax, then hearing SR1a is like a top end Stax with far better bass, I was sold on setting my sights after one... only then while reading threads did I encounter the Mysphere and discover personally that this wasn't the first highly praised open baffle (or whatever they call it) headphone design in recent time.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I demoed both Stax SR-009 (through BHSE amp) and the SR1a through Raal's HSA 1a amp. My comment is that they're both worthy of being "flagships" in sound presentation with the HSA 1a sounding closer to what you experience listening to near field studio monitors (maybe it's that baffle compensation thing implemented on the amp) while the SR-009 is definitely more like listening to a really good headphone setup. As for "fatter bass", you should try the Dan Clark Voce since it has an elevated bass frequencies than STAX.

DelsFan

I've not heard the SR1a headphones yet; I'm waiting to do that before making my "end game" purchase. As a stop-gap measure, right now I'm listening to the Ether2 headphones, powered by a Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier (both purchased near-new (so, "used")).

I demo-ed the MySphere 3.2 headphones in the Fall and they are spectacular. For almost all well-recorded music of the genres most audiophiles listen to, I don't think any person who already has an amplifier they really like would regret buying and listening to the MySpheres for a long time. If 90% of one's listening is to techno-pop or electronica or some other bass-heavy genre, surely that person already realizes an open ear headphone is not going to satisfy. If you don't have a room isolated from outside noise, or others don't want to listen to what you're listening to, then this style headphone isn't what you need either (but then neither are most open-backed planer or dynamic headphones). But in a quiet space, with almost all well-recorded music, the MySpheres are wonderful and (nearly) without peer. I've never heard anything so satisfying and relaxing.

I was thinking of purchasing an Apex Teton early last year; had I invested $5K in a really nice tube-based amplifier then, I would have purchased the MySpheres immediately after (breaking them in for 100 hours and) listening to them - and never looked back. If I don't go the Raal route, and it's quite possible I won't, a Teton plus MySpheres is what will reside in my Study before the end of this year.

PS The MySpheres "fit" differently. After figuring out how to put them on and adjust them for comfort (because there are a couple of variables for how one wears them) almost everyone becomes happy with the fit and only concentrates on the wonderful delivery of music. It's like driving a "better" car (Mercedes, BMW, Volvo) that is "different"; once you get used to their design/ergonomics you find you actually like them better. For those few who can't get comfortable, Heinz (owner/designer?) says they offer an option for custom fitting. Keep an open mind for the first week of listening; after that time most people have long forgotten about how the MySpheres fit.

Last edited:

andrew

I've not heard the SR1a headphones yet; I'm waiting to do that before making my "end game" purchase. As a stop-gap measure, right now I'm listening to the Ether2 headphones, powered by a Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier (both purchased near-new (so, "used")).

I demo-ed the MySphere 3.2 headphones in the Fall and they are spectacular. For almost all well-recorded music of the genres most audiophiles listen to, I don't think any person who already has an amplifier they really like would regret buying and listening to the MySpheres for a long time. If 90% of one's listening is to techno-pop or electronica or some other bass-heavy genre, surely that person already realizes an open ear headphone is not going to satisfy. If you don't have a room isolated from outside noise, or others don't want to listen to what you're listening to, then this style headphone isn't what you need either (but then neither are most open-backed planer or dynamic headphones). But in a quiet space, with almost all well-recorded music, the MySpheres are wonderful and (nearly) without peer. I've never heard anything so satisfying and relaxing.

I was thinking of purchasing an Apex Teton early last year; had I invested $5K in a really nice tube-based amplifier then, I would have purchased the MySpheres immediately after (breaking them in for 100 hours and) listening to them - and never looked back. If I don't go the Raal route, and it's quite possible I won't, a Teton plus MySpheres is what will reside in my Study before the end of this year.

PS The MySpheres "fit" differently. After figuring out how to put them on and adjust them for comfort (because there are a couple of variables for how one wears them) almost everyone becomes happy with the fit and only concentrates on the wonderful delivery of music. It's like driving a "better" car (Mercedes, BMW, Volvo) that is "different"; once you get used to their design/ergonomics you find you actually like them better. For those few who can't get comfortable, Heinz (owner/designer?) says they offer an option for custom fitting. Keep an open mind for the first week of listening; after that time most people have long forgotten about how the MySpheres fit.
Any idea as to how the MySphere v3.2 would perform when driven by the headphone out of a pro-audio DAC such as RME? I am tossing up between this and the SR1A but don’t have the budget to add a TOL headphone amp. (I do have an Amp for my speakers that could be used but it would be quite the ordeal to set up with the SR1A)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea as to how the MySphere v3.2 would perform when driven by the headphone out of a pro-audio DAC such as RME?

Which RME? Based on the RMEs Amir has measured so far and the specs on the MySphere site I'd say it's a good bet.

andrew

Which RME? Based on the RMEs Amir has measured so far and the specs on the MySphere site I'd say it's a good bet.
I am using a RME Fireface UCX and am hoping to use the headphone output to a set of great headphones for late-night listening. The original thought was to purchase a pair of the SR1A but this becomes problematic when switching between speaker and headphone listening. I thought MySphere V3.2 might address the major issue that I have had with most headphones which is the "in the head" sound after a lifetime of listening to music on speakers.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using a RME Fireface UCX and am hoping to use the headphone output to a set of great headphones for late-night listening.

RME's site says it's headphone amp has an output impedance of 30 ohms which pretty high so that actually may not work out that well with the MySphere.

If you already have decent pair of headphones you may want to check out some spatialization/HRTF DSPs first. Here's a recent discussion. IME these do a much better job of making headphones sound more like speakers. My favorite is TB Isone. I haven't heard the SR1A, but I have heard the MySphere (not sure if 3.1 or 3.2) and wasn't very impressed.

DelsFan

Any idea as to how the MySphere v3.2 would perform when driven by the headphone out of a pro-audio DAC such as RME? I am tossing up between this and the SR1A but don’t have the budget to add a TOL headphone amp. (I do have an Amp for my speakers that could be used but it would be quite the ordeal to set up with the SR1A)

I had intended to reply earlier; sorry. Maybe with the 30 ohm output the MySphere 3.1 headphones would be (a lot) better matched. They are also good for use with tube-based amplifiers with transformers (whereas the 3.2 headphones work with OTL tube-based amplifiers and low output impedance solid-state headphone amplifiers). Below is an old chart Heinz published (with my notations); maybe he's updated it but it gives one an idea of which headphone to chose in differing circumstances, and (more importantly, when extrapolating, why).

MySphere compatibility with amplifiers.jpg

Blujackaal

RME's site says it's headphone amp has an output impedance of 30 ohms which pretty high so that actually may not work out that well with the MySphere.

If you already have decent pair of headphones you may want to check out some spatialization/HRTF DSPs first. Here's a recent discussion. IME these do a much better job of making headphones sound more like speakers. My favorite is TB Isone. I haven't heard the SR1A, but I have heard the MySphere (not sure if 3.1 or 3.2) and wasn't very impressed.

Yeah i don't get shelling out a grand for speaker sound when the ER3XR/K712 with DSP can do it for £180.

lewdish

Bringing this topic back up 2023, Mysphere has published measurement data, and it looks way better than the RAAL measurements Amir measured. Def much more ideal & speaker-like in response than any of the RAAL headphones. It would be great if they could send out a loaner for Amir to measure and confirm if the data matches as well.

MYSPHERE_Specs_180701-1-FrequencyResponseWithEarCompensation-920x482.png

FR w/ Ear Compensation

MYSPHERE_Specs_180701-5-FrequencyResponseInNearField-920x482.png

Nearfield FR

MYSPHERE_Specs_180701-2-BurstDecay-920x482.png

Burst Decay

MYSPHERE_Specs_180701-6-Impedance-920x525.png

Impedance & Phase (Top Mysphere 3.1 Bottom 3.2)

MYSPHERE_Specs_180701-4-ImpulseResponse-920x482.png

Impulse response

MYSPHERE_Specs_180701-3-StepResponse-920x482.png

Step Response

Top Bottom