• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Penultimate Vintage Audio Medium

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
FOR ALL YOU DETERMINED ANALOG AUDIO FANS

I am framing this in a shadow box today. I thought you folks might find it interesting. It's an Al Jolson recording from 1925 or so. Notice the sleeve touting "Electrical Recording." Before 1925, 78 rpm records were recorded with the talent and musicians in front of a large horn -- piped directly to the cutting stylus. After c. 1925, electrical recording with a (probably) carbon microphone was introduced.

This old Al Jolson record still plays well on a turntable at 78 rpm with a proper Shure mono cartridge and 3 mil stylus. And considerable stylus force!
Jolson Record.jpg

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
What an amazing find.

Loved reading the description on the sleeve/cover. Thanks for sharing!

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Looks like a cool project. Let us see the final product.
...And just a note, with apologies, from a truly insufferable English major:
Penultimate definition
I meant next to the oldest type of recording, the oldest being totally acoustic. But you are right; it was a misuse.
Which may make you sufferable. :)

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
The plan is to hang this on the wall behind an old Victrola, a family heirloom. My first musical experiences were via that old, classic crank-up player, handed down from my maternal grandfather.

The Victrola and a few shellac records are still playable -- if you don't mind cranking up the spring-wound motor.

Analog audiophiles would wallow in the tone. :)
H4034-L180537173.jpg

gene_stl

Forum Donor
See Nimbus records CDs of old classical singers recorded Ambisonically with their eighteen foot acoustic horn , usually using plant thorns as a stylus. Usually two or three per side.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
See Nimbus records CDs of old classical singers recorded Ambisonically with their eighteen foot acoustic horn , usually using plant thorns as a stylus. Usually two or three per side.

I am digging the concept of dredging out CD pits with a cactus thorn.
I think you may be on to something there. :)

One Step CDs. :)
Their time has come.
Maybe they also need an acoustic DAC -- I learned that the "DAC" in a raspberry pi operates in a very brute force mode, so it is probably achievable. ;)

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Here's the framed result, complete with some unwanted reflections on the glass.
framed al jolson.jpg

Digby

Major Contributor
I was quite staggered at the sound quality you can get from later 78s, some of them are very clear compared to the earlier acoustic 78s. This is a good example of such and marvellous violin playing too, the likes of which is not seen today:

Chaconne

I meant next to the oldest type of recording, the oldest being totally acoustic.
Oh, man, I didn't catch that! Perhaps I was too quick to spout off. I think the definition I linked to was quite literal, but I think many folks take penultimate to mean something like "next to the ultimate." BTW, the results look great!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I like the use of penultimate in the title. Took it as a little word play.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have to confess, I am now trying to figure out a way to work antepenultimate into the conversation.
Maybe direct-to-cassette albums?
:cool:

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
So far, all I've seen here to date is anti-penultimate.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Auntie Penultimate?

What's this thread about?
Is this Ancestry dot com...

:cool:

Top Bottom