• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pentatone re-mastered classics

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've recently been re-acquiring a few recordings re-issued by the Dutch label Pentatone, for anybody who hasn't listened to some of their re-mastered classics series I recommend giving them a try. I have just been listening to the old Ozawa/Boston SO recording of Berlioz's Fantastique, it is a hybrid SACD with a quadrophonic mix and a regular stereo mix on the CD layer which is terrific, and they've re-mastered the classic Kubelik Beethoven cycle in which he did each symphony with a different orchestra. Sadly I have to listen to the quadrophonic mixes at a friends place as he has a surround set up but even the CD stereo layers are superb and display a sensitive and competent re-mastering which restores faith in the concept of re-mastering.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought some of these too, on discount.
I was a bit disappointed that the center channel wasn’t active, but still more fun than stereo.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what the relationship is between Pentatone and DG as some of the Pentatone remasters also seem to have been re-released by DG themselves, such as the Bernstein Carmen (unless DG did their own quadrophonic re-master?). DG re-issued the classic Steinberg/Boston SO coupling of Holst's Planets and Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra with a quadrophonic mix which is a magnificent recording.
These old quadrophonic re-issues are terrific, and Pentatone have done a splendid job rejuventating them.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am being very pokey about setting up my system. When I get the multi channel implemented one of the first things I want to hear is an SACD
of Janos Starker where the SACD is a remaster of a three channel tape master from about 1960 or so. Get to hear what the recording engineer heard. (hopefully)

SMc

I bought some of these too, on discount.
I was a bit disappointed that the center channel wasn’t active, but still more fun than stereo.
Those must be quad! Dutton-Vocalion is also reissuing four-channel recordings.

Top Bottom