• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Well, you learn something every day.

My XLR cables (Monoprice) connect pins 1 and 2 to the ring. Pin 3 (center) is the tip. There is no floating (unconnected) pin.
My reading of a female XLR is that pin 3 is the center pin and pin 1 is to the left and pin 2 is to the right. As you look at the female connector pin 1 is to the left and clockwise it's pins 1,2 3. From what you said above, I need new XLR cables.
Why use XLR to RCA though? I mean, rather than RCA to RCA or RCA to XLR.
I agree why do you want to do XLR to RCA vs the RCA to RCA?

The RCA output is just single buffered leg of of the XLR.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently run FLAC NAS using Audirvana on A MacBook via USB to a DAC. A few questions re the Streamer: First, will I be bypassing the Audirvana entirely? If so, your software options provide the library management, correct? Second, my LCD-3 headphones run about 50 ohms, I believe. Does the RPi output enough to play clean and loud? I plan to use the balanced outputs to my amp so what’s the best way to drive the LCD-3 balanced cable?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
When running volumio the PecanPi can be a dlna and uPnP renderer. My understanding is that it can basically be a renderer for audirvana, jriver, and bubbleupnp.

I know with certainty and Jriver and bubbleupnp work as I have customers doing this.

I use 47 ohm headphones myself so 50 ohm is fine especially if they are high sensitivity ones.

For the LCD-3 you will need external amp. Only the RCA outputs function as headphone amps.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 3.5 to balanced adapter already so I can use the rca to 3.5 adapter in series, correct? In that case PecanPi can be the headphone amp yes?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a 3.5 to balanced adapter already so I can use the rca to 3.5 adapter in series, correct? In that case PecanPi can be the headphone amp yes?
Can you explain better? In series? You can only connect RCA to 3.5mm female, then to headphone.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thought was to connect rca to the 3.5 female, then use the male 3.5 to XLR adapter for my XLR headphone cable. Since none are active that should work fine. I suppose an RCA to XLR adapter exists but I’m cheap that way. ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
My thought was to connect rca to the 3.5 female, then use the male 3.5 to XLR adapter for my XLR headphone cable. Since none are active that should work fine. I suppose an RCA to XLR adapter exists but I’m cheap that way. ;)
Oh that would work no problem ;)!

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I love getting emails like these from my customers...

Capture.JPG

IMG_20191115_163530.jpg

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think it is an improvement on the USB out of the pecan pi? So he’s only using the streaming functionality of your device? Seems like a waste.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
There are so many factors to consider here.

I just got another email from same customer, they are saying with the Allo bridge with PecanPi performs better than on any of the Pis (3, 3b and 4).

Since I don't know exactly what they are doing it's too difficult for me to say.

So he’s only using the streaming functionality of your device? Seems like a waste.

The PecanPi DAC is just a DAC, it needs to be paired with something else to have streaming functionality.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are so many factors to consider here.

I just got another email from same customer, they are saying with the Allo bridge with PecanPi performs better than on any of the Pis (3, 3b and 4).

Since I don't know exactly what they are doing it's too difficult for me to say.
Well, you know this forum, if they aren’t doing it blind, we would be skeptical of their conclusions.

Top Bottom