• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
PecanPi preorders have started shipping.

If you have a preorder be on the lookout for an email with tracking information.

The first 6 packages went out today.

All pre orders will be shipped within 2-3 weeks.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It is powered by the 9V power supply that comes with the unit.

Can you share a photo of the power adapter's safety markings/approvals?

I'm guessing the streamer takes a 5.5.mm x 2.1mm DC power plug, so the end user can use their own power supply?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Can you share a photo of the power adapter's safety markings/approvals?

I'm guessing the streamer takes a 5.5.mm x 2.1mm DC power plug, so the end user can use their own power supply?
Yes it is 5.5mm by 2.1mm plug. So you can use your own 9V power supply. If you do not use headphones then you can use 9V 2A. If you use headphones 9V 2.5A needed.

This is the power supply that comes with the unit:
https://www.cui.com/product/power/ac-dc-power-supplies/external/sdi24-u-series/sdi24-9-u

That website lists all of the regulatory and safety approvals for the power supply.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes it is 5.5mm by 2.1mm plug. So you can use your own 9V power supply. If you do not use headphones then you can use 9V 2A. If you use headphones 9V 2.5A needed.

This is the power supply that comes with the unit:
https://www.cui.com/product/power/ac-dc-power-supplies/external/sdi24-u-series/sdi24-9-u

That website lists all of the regulatory and safety approvals for the power supply.

Thanks. Not approved for Australia but it’s easy enough to get a Mean Well.

All your measurements are with your included SMPS? Not a linear PSU or battery?

Is it compatible with DietPi OS?

Which audio device is needed to be selected in DietPi, Moode etc? What audio driver PecanPi use.

Last edited:
OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Thanks. Not approved for Australia but it’s easy enough to get a Mean Well.

All your measurements are with your included SMPS? Not a linear PSU or battery?

Is it compatible with DietPi OS?

Which audio device is needed to be selected in DietPi, Moode etc? What audio driver PecanPi use.
Yes compatible with DietPi, the device to select is RPI-DAC.

If you don't need the power supply I can take $20 off your order.

StandardModel

Forum Donor
I can't get a signal (sound) out of the XLR cables in the Pecan Pi. I can with the RCA connectors. I'm using XLR to RCA cables. Am I doing something wrong?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I can't get a signal (sound) out of the XLR cables in the Pecan Pi. I can with the RCA connectors. I'm using XLR to RCA cables. Am I doing something wrong?
I dont see any reason for XLR not to work unless your XLR to RCA adapter is not correctly pinned out. Do you know its pinout. Most standard ones short one of the signals to ground which is fine if you are going from RCA to XLR but not vise-versa.

For correct operation you would need a cable like this; that has pin 3 floating:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...ark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you thought about adding Chromecast (emulation) to the streamer? Do you have to pay a licensing fee to do that? With the demise of the Chromast audio, there’s rising interest in enabled streamers. I like Cambridge Audio for that reason.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Have you thought about adding Chromecast (emulation) to the streamer? Do you have to pay a licensing fee to do that? With the demise of the Chromast audio, there’s rising interest in enabled streamers. I like Cambridge Audio for that reason.
I will have to look into this.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The methods I can see on line are kind of hacky. It won’t show up in your apps (Qobuz, Tidal) as a chromecast endpoint) without setting up its IP and working through a separate casting app. It would only be worth it if it functioned like “Chromecast built in”, which Cambridge, NAD, and now Harmon (I think) are doing in their streamer/DACs.

Still, it seems like something one could reverse engineer.

StandardModel

Forum Donor
I don't see any reason for XLR not to work unless your XLR to RCA adapter is not correctly pinned out. Do you know its pinout. Most standard ones short one of the signals to ground which is fine if you are going from RCA to XLR but not vise-versa.

For correct operation you would need a cable like this; that has pin 3 floating:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...ark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating
Well, you learn something every day.

My XLR cables (Monoprice) connect pins 1 and 2 to the ring. Pin 3 (center) is the tip. There is no floating (unconnected) pin.
My reading of a female XLR is that pin 3 is the center pin and pin 1 is to the left and pin 2 is to the right. As you look at the female connector pin 1 is to the left and clockwise it's pins 1,2 3. From what you said above, I need new XLR cables.

Veri

Master Contributor
Why use XLR to RCA though? I mean, rather than RCA to RCA or RCA to XLR.

Top Bottom