• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No DAC, just a USB output into a processor.
The pi on its own will do 'network' to usb, it won't do above 24/96 reliably, other similar devices will, e.g odroid. The main question is what's at the other end of the network sending the data.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I dont think this what @DonH56 was asking. I think he wants to use the streamer as a USB DAC which will not work.

Aha. Well, in theory this could be done. Somebody would have to write an ASIO wrapper and it could work that way. You could still have BruteFIR DRC running on top in a similar way DiracLive does it. ;)

Krunok

Major Contributor
The pi on its own will do 'network' to usb, it won't do above 24/96 reliably, other similar devices will, e.g odroid. The main question is what's at the other end of the network sending the data.

RPI would do just fine as your DAC is I2S. On the other end is USB port presented via ASIO wrapper.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you install Volumio on it than you can use it as Roon bridge

Doesn't Roon have their own software for the Pi to make it a bridge? Why would one want Volumio to serve as a Roon bridge?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Doesn't Roon have their own software for the Pi to make it a bridge? Why would one want Volumio to serve as a Roon bridge?

Roon bridge on Volumio is software made by Roon. If you don't need UPnP/DLNA functionality than you don't need Volumio so you can run Roon bridge with RoPieee or any other image.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Roon bridge on Volumio is software made by Roon. If you don't need UPnP/DLNA functionality than you don't need Volumio so you can run Roon bridge with RoPieee or any other image.
I know, what I meant was; they dont make a Pi image, you have to go through other means.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please consider this thread is in the open forums where it should actually be in the 'desperate dealers' section, as you are, after all, soliciting for buyers aren't you?

It should be moved.
Good point. Moved to desperate dealers forum....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks for the answer, folk. I keep thinking of getting something other than my Sonos Connect for streaming but never seem to have time to research let alone implement something.

Source is a Synology NAS through wireless router to WAP in the media room then whatever drives the processor. Streamer could be wireless to my range extender.

Guermantes

Thanks for the answer, folk. I keep thinking of getting something other than my Sonos Connect for streaming but never seem to have time to research let alone implement something.

Source is a Synology NAS through wireless router to WAP in the media room then whatever drives the processor. Streamer could be wireless to my range extender.

Hi @DonH56.

If you are using USB into the processor, then, as mentioned, probably just the RPi with relevant software will do. No add-on cards like the PecanPi are necessary.

My question is: How are you managing your music library on the NAS? Will this integrate with the software on the RPi or will you need to move to something new?

Streamers based on Volumio or MoOde software can manage the library themselves using Music Player Daemon (MPD) which is integrated into their builds. Volumio or MoOde therefore provide a browser-based GUI for accessing the music library database managed by MPD and the source music files can be located on a NAS or storage attached directly to the RPi. In this model the RPi is the hub for managing, selecting and playing the music and this is done remotely via a GUI that appears in a browser like Chrome, Safari, etc., on a tablet, mobile phone or computer.

The other model is to use the RPi as an endpoint for library management/player software on another machine, e.g. Roon, Logitech Media Server, iTunes, JRiver Media Center, etc. In this case, the software on the RPi just has to present as a media renderer for the particular network streaming protocol that is compatible with your library management software.

I see that Sonos can work with other library management software, such as Plex or iTunes. How are you doing it at the moment?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Bear in mind I am an analog guy. I've used and worked with computers for decades but, aside from a brief stint as a sysadmin in the 1980's, I do not claim any sort of special expertise regarding computer stuff. I could design one at the transistor level, but much of the OS is a mystery at this point, and I have almost never dealt with network stuff.

I rip my CDs to the NAS using dBpoweramp and then use the SONOS app (SW) to manage the library. I realize I would have to use some other SW if I switch from SONOS. Kal has pointed the way and made suggestions now and then (to all of us, not just me). The NAS can be configured to use DLNA but I have not intentionally done so; when I moved all the files to the NAS and pointed SONOS to the folder everything magically appeared.

I have read that Roon and JRiver are good for managing libraries but have not looked into them. And read previously here that I can use a basic RPi as the music player hub. Your post helped clarify the relationship. A large part of my problem is simply a lack of research; life has been pretty unbelievable the past couple of years due to a combination of work and personal issues (and a few more things have arisen in the past few days, and a little bombshell tonight that has my attention on other things).

I appreciate all the advice and information. I don't want to derail this thread with essentially noob questions. Hopefully soon I can clear my plate a bit and get back to this, in a different thread, and with more focus. Rambling... Had some bad news tonight and am a bit shell-shocked, sorry. - Don

Guermantes

I appreciate all the advice and information. I don't want to derail this thread with essentially noob questions. Hopefully soon I can clear my plate a bit and get back to this, in a different thread, and with more focus. Rambling... Had some bad news tonight and am a bit shell-shocked, sorry. - Don

There's been many occasions where your advice has been of real benefit to a noob like myself! Take care, Don. I hope we'll hear better news from you soon.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bear in mind I am an analog guy. I've used and worked with computers for decades but, aside from a brief stint as a sysadmin in the 1980's, I do not claim any sort of special expertise regarding computer stuff. I could design one at the transistor level, but much of the OS is a mystery at this point, and I have almost never dealt with network stuff.
One of the great things about things like volumino is just how little computer stuff you need to do, have a look at the following link, scroll down to the section headed Flash It.
https://volumio.org/get-started/
After that it's just matter of pointing it at your NAS library using the web configurator. You are overqualified for this.

Rambling... Had some bad news tonight and am a bit shell-shocked, sorry. - Don
No need to apologise, hope things improve soon.

pos

Forum Donor
The Rpi can only output stereo. But if you can get Rpi's to sync audio with each other you can get a multi channel solution.
Are there existing software solutions for this kind of operation, with good accuracy and no drift over time?
Something like as an AES67 endpoint, or even proprietary solutions?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I have had multiple questions regarding volume control on the unit.

The volume control can be either through the knob on the unit or through software when you control the device remotely.

The HW volume control on the unit (knob) will be better than to the SW one. Both will sound great.

Top Bottom