• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree Nova 300 Review (Dac & Amplifier)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I bought some Schiit today to test 113dB SINAD vs. 85dB SINAD. It's a Modius. Should prove interesting. My working hypothesis is that I will not be able to hear any difference. We shall see in about a week.

So far, I have not been able to hear any difference between the Peachtree's internal DAC and my CXNv2 plugged into the Peachtree's aux input. The DACs may be in the same ballpark, however...

Here is a thing I don't love about the Peachtree: it does not remember its last volume setting, and there appears to be no way to make that happen. I have to hit the volume up button 25 times every time I turn it on, which makes me want to just leave it on, which is less than ideal.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Time to stir up some Schiit...

My first Modius arrived Monday, and the wifey and I set up a what [I lied and] promised to be a quick level-matched blind test using the USB inputs of both DACs.

I set up my PC to allow her to change DACs with 3 mouse clicks and 1 button press on the remote control, which took right at 5 seconds per change. I had her play the first 1:30 of each of 4 different tracks 6 times. She tracked which DAC was playing for each selection while calling them by different random letters and taking notes on a notepad. Some of the DAC changes were faked to semi-randomize things and keep me guessing. I was turned around in my office chair looking at the back wall while listening.

The results were almost as expected. I correctly distinguished a difference between 2 and 4 times per track, which is no better than simply guessing, and makes me a miserable failure as an audiophile looking for veils to be lifted, details to be revealed, musicality to improve, and things to be more resolving, whatever that stuff is supposed to mean.

Except for 1 track. Your Star by Evanescence on Synthesis Live. I correctly identified the same DAC 6 out of 6 times. The difference was in the electronic cymbals/crystals that come in around 1:14. Through [what turned out to be] the Modius, they sounded more distinct (sharper) and more localizeable, as if there was greater stereo separation or something along those lines. The Peachtree's internal DAC softened those synthesized sounds and seemed to blur the stereo locations. This one difference was easily identifiable and obvious every time I heard it.

What objective explanation could there be for that? A combination of distortion in that frequency range and increased crosstalk in the Peachtree?

I did not reliably hear any other differences in anything else. And, I can't even say the Modius is necessarily better--just a little different with that one instrument. How is it supposed to sound, anyway? Question: does that make it worth running an external DAC? Answer: maybe? I like the sound of both DACs.

In my beer-addled mind, I believe I have confirmed we reached peak DAC some 10 or 15 years ago, and while we see continuous objective improvement, our hearing is not sensitive enough to realize commensurate subjective improvement. Or maybe it's just my hearing.

Anyway, I have the Schiit, I like the Schiit, so I shall run the Schiit and be happy in the knowledge of -113dB.

Last edited:

Mojo Warrior

My first Modius arrived Monday, and the wifey and I set up a what [I lied and] promised to be a quick level-matched blind test using the USB inputs of both DACs.

I set up my PC to allow her to change DACs with 3 mouse clicks and 1 button press on the remote control, which took right at 5 seconds per change. I had her play the first 1:30 of each of 4 different tracks 6 times. She tracked which DAC was playing for each selection while calling them by different random letters and taking notes on a notepad. Some of the DAC changes were faked to semi-randomize things and keep me guessing. I was turned around in my office chair looking at the back wall while listening.

The results were almost as expected. I correctly distinguished a difference between 2 and 4 times per track, which is no better than simply guessing, and makes me a miserable failure as an audiophile looking for veils to be lifted, details to be revealed, musicality to improve, and things to be more resolving, whatever that stuff is supposed to mean.

Except for 1 track. Your Star by Evanescence on Synthesis Live. I correctly identified the same DAC 6 out of 6 times. The difference was in the electronic cymbals/crystals that come in around 1:14. Through [what turned out to be] the Modius, they sounded more distinct (sharper) and more localizeable, as if there was greater stereo separation or something along those lines. The Peachtree's internal DAC softened those synthesized sounds and seemed to blur the stereo locations. This one difference was easily identifiable and obvious every time I heard it.

What objective explanation could there be for that? A combination of distortion in that frequency range and increased crosstalk in the Peachtree?

I did not reliably hear any other differences in anything else. And, I can't even say the Modius is necessarily better--just a little different with that one instrument. How is it supposed to sound, anyway? Question: does that make it worth running an external DAC? Answer: maybe? I like the sound of both DACs.

In my beer-addled mind, I believe I have confirmed we reached peak DAC some 10 or 15 years ago, and while we see continuous objective improvement, our hearing is not sensitive enough to realize commensurate subjective improvement. Or maybe it's just my hearing.

Anyway, I have the Schiit, I like the Schiit, so I shall run the Schiit and be happy in the knowledge of -113dB.

Thank you for doing the listening/subjective test that Peachtree owners were pondering after reading Amirm's review.

steve59

Major Contributor
only curious why you turned around from your normal listening position.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
only curious why you turned around from your normal listening position.

To prevent me from seeing what she was doing. It was also an attempt to make things somewhat unfamiliar.

Thank you for doing the listening/subjective test that Peachtree owners were pondering after reading Amirm's review.

The upshot is, if I had it to do again, I would not purchase the Modius. The Peachtree DAC is certainly good enough for non-critical listening while I work. However, the objectivist in me is pleased to have a SOTA DAC in the signal path.

Are Peachtree owners freaking out somewhere?

steve59

Major Contributor
When comparing int's with dac's built in we are listening to all 3 components combined and I have no idea if using the digital outs to swap dacs would work or if the comparison would compromise the chain.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
When comparing int's with dac's built in we are listening to all 3 components combined and I have no idea if using the digital outs to swap dacs would work or if the comparison would compromise the chain.

???

In my test, I plugged both DACs into my laptop via USB and switched back and forth in Windows. The Peachtree was switched back and forth between USB and Aux1 inputs and volume adjusted for each change. I used a UMIK-1 and REW's SPL meter to determine what the volume settings should be to match levels to within 0.5dBA. She randomly faked switching DACs at least once per track.

I am not asserting the test was well performed nor scientific. It was just enough to satisfy my curiosity. The result is the DACs sound substantially the same, and I was only able to reliably detect one difference on one track during eyes-closed critical listening. I do not have a true preference for either DAC.

There is one other notable difference, however. The Peachtree DAC has available ASIO drivers. The Schiit does not.

steve59

Major Contributor
I clearly didn’t wear your opening with my full attention for be to think using one dac would require using the pre/amp in order to access the dac. I agree with your findings in side by side when using the integrateds as a whole when we were using the Kanta 1’s

alitomr1979

I think a good amount of what one like more or even can distinguish between amps and DACs have a lot more to do with how these equipments are voiced than their SINADs and other objective measurements.

Also, coinfliping there is a chance you can hit the one you want 6 times in a row.

Interesting test though.

I havent AB but I have several DACs and I think I can identify most of them. SMSL M500 sounds brighter, often more open than the rest. MArantz´s HD-DAC1 sounds heavier, with a lot more bass, far less top end, with voices far more centralized and instruments more in their specific places than the SMSL. The SMSL sankrit 10th and the Schiit Modi 2 uber are way less detailed than the first two. The sanskrit is way brighter than the modi. In both instruments are not as clear or separated than the first two. Everything is more mesh together. The top end doesnt have as much detail as the first two, nowhere near, and the bass also feels more difused, one-toned, when compared to the better ones, specially with the Marantz.

In the middle is the internal DAC of the CXA81. Everything is more clear and instruments have more separation than both cheaper options, but when compared to the SMSL and MArantz, it is as if there a blanket in front of the speakers. When I first try the CXA81 it was using Bluetooth from my phone and I was quite impressed. Now its internal DAC bores me and I dont want to listen to more music.

I´d love to AB test but Im too busy and also lazy to get to it.

alitomr1979

I am considering an amplifier to be able to move my CXA81 from main listening room where it is being used to power the mains, R3s, to the bedroom when I have my passive LS50. I want something with HT bypass or could even be a power amp. I just want it to be in the same league as the Cambridge CXA81, which at least for me is not something easy to find under 2000.

I have heard the Marantz 7725 (or is it another model? their stereo power amp), Emotiva´s XPA gen 2, Monolith 200wpc, and none of those I think are close the CXA81. I am considering Nova150 or 300 , Musical Fidelity M5si, and even Denon PMA-1600. More into those with HT bypass.

Thoughts?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a good amount of what one like more or even can distinguish between amps and DACs have a lot more to do with how these equipments are voiced than their SINADs and other objective measurements.
What exactly is voicing then? Magic? Religion? It can't be measured but you know it's there? Like ghosts?
Thoughts?
I think you should try to figure out something about audio science . There's lots to discuss and disagree about and learn. You're just rambling.

Stromy123

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Peachtree Nova 300 integrated amplifier with DAC and phono stage. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $2,199.

The Nova 300 fits in the same chassis Peachtree has successfully used for last 15 years:

View attachment 126072

It is quite beefy and heavy. Volume indication overloads the LED indicators on the input selectors showing a coarse 8 levels. For this price, I would expect an LED indicator of the actual level.

Back panel shows good quality connectors and rich feature set for a desktop amplifier:

View attachment 126073

Peachtree made its name on DACs and had quite a following 10 to 15 years ago. I was curious to see if they had upgraded the DAC subsystem since that time so let's start by measuring that subsystem.

Peachtree Nova 300 DAC Measurements
I fed the unit over USB input, sampled the output from preamp out and adjusted the volume to output 2 volts:

View attachment 126074

Well, this is quite disappointing. Noise and distortion as represented by SINAD is in decidedly "poor" category in today's market:

View attachment 126075

The unit can output higher levels so let's see where peak performance is:

View attachment 126076

No luck there as the peak is actually at 1 volt out.

Dynamic range is better indicating distortion is the problem:

View attachment 126077

At this point I didn't see a need to run more DAC tests and switched to testing the amplifier.

Peachtree Nova 300 Amplifier Measurements
For this test I used the Aux analog input:

View attachment 126078

Ah, this is very respectable and above average performance:

View attachment 126079

SNR is not as good as I like at 5 watt but gets better at full power:

View attachment 126080

Crosstalk is excellent:
View attachment 126081

Frequency response shows a peaky filter though:

View attachment 126082

Multi-tone results indicate "good enough" performance:

View attachment 126083

What was most impressive is the amount of power available from the ICE amplifier module they are using:

View attachment 126084

Since I am driving two channels, this is over 900 watts of power! Indeed the peaks hit 1000+ watts:

View attachment 126085

Even at 8 ohm there is copious amount of power available:
View attachment 126086

Interesting to see little dependency on frequency until we hit a few watts:

View attachment 126087

Conclusions
It is clear from the measurements that the DAC subsystem is a relic that is simply behind times. The product though benefits from using a competent B&O ICE module which has stayed competitive producing far more power than you would expect in a "lifestyle" product of this kind. As such, I expect subjective performance of Nova 300 to be excellent regardless of what speaker you attach to it. I usually don't worry about price/performance in my reviews -- that is yours to worry about. :) But here, the price seems quite high relative to the other internet focused amplifiers which have come out in the last couple of years. Some of those are powerful and all of them cost a lot less than the Nova 300.

Overall, I can't recommend the Peachtree Nova 300 as a new purchase.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I purchased the 300 and the denafrips Ares ii dac. I didn't care for the dac in the 300 but the denafrips paired has been great.

andyclev

Old post but just joined to chide in as I saw someone asked if there were any Peachtree Nova300 owners and I am one. Paired with old Vandersteen 2ces (non-signature) which are mellow. Replaced a failed Cambridge Audio Azur 751R V2 which had an incredible sound quality for an AVR. Yes, I cried when it died - DAC board went out and CA had no parts, unrepairable. Still have it in case something comes up and still depressed about it but decided to go with a good 2 channel with pre-amp to drive with another AVR's mains. Heard the Nova300 in the store and loved it. Brought it home and loved it even more. Strangely it sounded better after a week, but that could have been me and my aged ears going through a flow. DAC vs DAC the CA was superb with its up-sampling technology but not by much (from memory, not A vs B). With everything the Nova300 has (inputs/connectivity, power) the unit simply performs at a high level. It is more mellow, and when connected to a mellow set of speakers I am quite surprised on the high end that it delivers. If the source has the dynamic range, you hear it, and when you turn up the volume (90-100db) - freakin' A! Surpasses the CA Azur in overall sound quality at higher volume (again, from memory), likely due to all that available headroom. Quite pleased, and doubt SINAD/DAC's inferior numbers amount to much for my ears, but will only know if I ever upgrade with a working Nova300, which won't be for a while, knock on wood. No issues with anything related to the unit's build or quality, and when snagged 2+ years ago at $1,495 the Nova300 was picture perfect for me. Still smiling. RIP CA Azur 751R V2. FWIW and YMMV.

alitomr1979

Old post but just joined to chide in as I saw someone asked if there were any Peachtree Nova300 owners and I am one. Paired with old Vandersteen 2ces (non-signature) which are mellow. Replaced a failed Cambridge Audio Azur 751R V2 which had an incredible sound quality for an AVR. Yes, I cried when it died - DAC board went out and CA had no parts, unrepairable. Still have it in case something comes up and still depressed about it but decided to go with a good 2 channel with pre-amp to drive with another AVR's mains. Heard the Nova300 in the store and loved it. Brought it home and loved it even more. Strangely it sounded better after a week, but that could have been me and my aged ears going through a flow. DAC vs DAC the CA was superb with its up-sampling technology but not by much (from memory, not A vs B). With everything the Nova300 has (inputs/connectivity, power) the unit simply performs at a high level. It is more mellow, and when connected to a mellow set of speakers I am quite surprised on the high end that it delivers. If the source has the dynamic range, you hear it, and when you turn up the volume (90-100db) - freakin' A! Surpasses the CA Azur in overall sound quality at higher volume (again, from memory), likely due to all that available headroom. Quite pleased, and doubt SINAD/DAC's inferior numbers amount to much for my ears, but will only know if I ever upgrade with a working Nova300, which won't be for a while, knock on wood. No issues with anything related to the unit's build or quality, and when snagged 2+ years ago at $1,495 the Nova300 was picture perfect for me. Still smiling. RIP CA Azur 751R V2. FWIW and YMMV.

I keep trying amps and for the most part there is always something to like about them, but when it's the time to compare to my best, the Peachtree amp500, none are better.

I am eyeing a Yamaha A-S2200 but bought the Buckeye Purifi 3ch. Very nice. Very detailed but I prefer the amp500. I think Peachtree achieved something very nice with their Novas. Sadly, I tried the GAN400 and also preferred the Amp500. Sent it back even when I wanted to love it.

andyclev

I keep trying amps and for the most part there is always something to like about them, but when it's the time to compare to my best, the Peachtree amp500, none are better.

I am eyeing a Yamaha A-S2200 but bought the Buckeye Purifi 3ch. Very nice. Very detailed but I prefer the amp500. I think Peachtree achieved something very nice with their Novas. Sadly, I tried the GAN400 and also preferred the Amp500. Sent it back even when I wanted to love it.
I hear you! My ears at this age aren't what they used to be but back in the day they were very discerning, critical, and it's still there but subdued, and although the Nova300 DAC specs may not measure up I really doubt I'll be able to hear any issues. Certainly no distortion, even at volume. I have a DACMagic and it's supposedly better with a higher rating per the colored graph comparison chart (it's well into the green), but it does not sound better than the Nova300, A vs B. Might be psychological, I dunno, possibly defending the purchase of the Nova300 in my mind, but I'm pretty well past that and don't "think" so. Speakers and room acoustics probably mean a lot more than most things anyway. Just my opinion and FWIW.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Speakers and room acoustics probably mean a lot more than most things anyway.
That is the bottom line.
Where the Nova 300 really falters here is the DAC section which can easily be bettered measurement wise.
Whether that is an audible failing is very debatable, very possibly not but ??? If you already own one you can upgrade it with a stellar performance DAC for a couple hundred dollars.
IMO The amp section easily falls into the fully transparent range when run within it's comfort area of power and speaker load impedance. Audible differences between properly designed and implement amps has been minimized for decades.

Top Bottom