• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree Gan 1 beta testing sign-ups open

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The GaN1 is revolutionary because it replaces a top DAC ($5k), DDC ($1k), preamp ($3k) and power amps ($4k) for a price which is similar to what I paid for just the interconnects alone the prior system ($2k). When you add up the numbers, your $2k unit is outperforming $15k of top rated gear. The simplicity of the GaN1 is key here, as you know. I am in awe.

The idea of incorporating the D/A function in a switching amplifier is neither new nor revolutionary, but I still think it's pretty cool, assuming that's what this amp actually does.

That being said, it doesn't take much to downsize from a $15K setup with little to zero audible penalty, IMO. You can even go way below $2K without much trouble.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure, was just a FYI. It sounds amazing though.

If it has load dependent frequency response like their other modules, it's poorly designed and will change character as the load changes. Not a well engineered product. One can talk one's self into how something sounds but the numbers don't lie.

Red rocket

If it has load dependent frequency response like their other modules, it's poorly designed and will change character as the load changes. Not a well engineered product. One can talk one's self into how something sounds but the numbers don't lie.
Need to find some good numbers to listen to then?

goryu

Need to find some good numbers to listen to then?

I would start my evaluations with products that are well designed and are proven to meet the basic definition of an amplifier, that is, a device that takes a small signal and makes it larger, no more/no less. There are surely products that do this that one can talk one's self into liking. These GaN amps are just a marketing play- they perform worse than properly designed amps using traditional fets.

Red rocket

I would start my evaluations with products that are well designed and are proven to meet the basic definition of an amplifier, that is, a device that takes a small signal and makes it larger, no more/no less. There are surely products that do this that one can talk one's self into liking.
Thanks

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't think anybody said that it sounds bad. Just that it possibly performs objectively bad.

Even if it has "horrifying" THD+N at -60dB or worse, most people won't have a snowball's chance in hell to hear it. So called audiophiles most likely won't do any better at hearing it, since they practically never listen for the effective tells that trained listeners know.

And if the frequency response is massively load dependent, it's quite possible that the resulting EQ effect gives a pleasing experience. But you could get the same result with any load indifferent amp and an actual EQ, just saying.

I bet it sounds just fine. I do however remain extremely sceptical of any claims about it being "special" in terms of sound.

A blind shootout between the GaN1 and a pair of Hypex UcD180 + a dirt cheap DAC would be interesting.

goryu

I don't think anybody said that it sounds bad. Just that it possibly performs objectively bad.

Even if it has "horrifying" THD+N at -60dB or worse, most people won't have a snowball's chance in hell to hear it. So called audiophiles most likely won't do any better at hearing it, since they practically never listen for the effective tells that trained listeners know.

And if the frequency response is massively load dependent, it's quite possible that the resulting EQ effect gives a pleasing experience. But you could get the same result with any load indifferent amp and an actual EQ, just saying.

I bet it sounds just fine. I do however remain extremely sceptical of any claims about it being "special" in terms of sound.

A blind shootout between the GaN1 and a pair of Hypex UcD180 + a dirt cheap DAC would be interesting.

There is no accounting for taste. One's subjective preferences are neither right nor wrong- they aren't fact, they are opinion. If people like the sound of this amp, that's their prerogative just as it is mine to not like poorly designed products that are hyped up with disingenuous marketing, regardless of how they might sound.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There is no accounting for taste. One's subjective preferences are neither right nor wrong- they aren't fact, they are opinion.

Sure, if you* look for a "one shoe fits all". But as an individual the things that speak to your personal taste in audio reproduction are not subjective themself. They come from an objective world and have no feelings or opinions. Nothing stops you from quantifying them and giving yourself the tools to satisfy your personal preference as effectively and directly as possible.

You aren't necessarily forced to use those tools. I understand when people think it takes all of the fun out of the hobby. But a huge bonus from going through the process is that you also get a sense of the difference between impressions and physics and how they ultimately form our perceptions.

You get the option to no longer present experiences, that are most likely 100% based on feelings, as something that constitutes a useful recommendation of a product to others.

*By 'you' I mean people in a general sense. Not @goryu personally.

If people like the sound of this amp, that's their prerogative just as it is mine to not like poorly designed products that are hyped up with disingenuous marketing, regardless of how they might sound.

Absolutely... assuming it actually does sound different.

Demon3

Anyone else received the GAN1? I received mine last week. After several hours of diverse listening, I am very satisfied. I am using Zu Audio Dirty Weekends that are actually loaded with Druid Mk.IV drivers. Admittedly, these are not the best matched speakers for this amp (better suited for the SET application I think).

That being said, the GAN1 has no issue at any listening level, excellent soundstage, mid-range clarity, and great control of low-end. Does not seem to provide any color of any sort, as expected. I would see this is a good thing as long as it is matched with the right speakers.

I do not pretend to be a golden-ear audiophile, just a music lover that wants to hear the sounds as they were intended. The GAN1 gets me there.

PS I ordered the Node combo; I have several other digital sources, so I ordered this one. Out of curiosity. The experience has been excellent! I have it synced between my phone, my tablet, and my PC with the BluOS app, using Tidal and some local Flac files. Great listening experience.
I agree. I have a GaN1 and find it to be startlingly clean and dynamic. It some ways it outperforms my normal system and for less than the price of the interconnects in that system! I have mine connected to an iFi Zen Streamer which I use for volume control. To give some context, my normal system is the Holo May KTE DAC with Serene preamp with Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks and Silverline SR17 speakers. I have also compared the GaN1 using a Pass X150 and the GaN400. The GaN1 is a stunning deal as it's more transparent than any of those. I suspect that it's so transparent that it may take some getting used to because we are used to a fuller sound that comes from smearing of the signal.

Red rocket

Tell me you're poor without saying your poor. Lol

Don't think Negative Nancy over here will ever change his mind. He's here just to be a buzz kill. Let him have fun with his false prejudices. If he wants to miss out, it's not going to take away from our enjoyment of this great amp.

goryu

Tell me you're poor without saying your poor. Lol

Don't think Negative Nancy over here will ever change his mind. He's here just to be a buzz kill. Let him have fun with his false prejudices. If he wants to miss out, it's not going to take away from our enjoyment of this great amp.
No, I am just pointing out the truth. If people wish to ignore poor design and performance and talk themselves into thinking this is a "great amp", they are welcome to believe whatever they wish, truth aside.

Red rocket

You don't know anything about the design and performance though, or if it's a great amp or not, because you haven't seen it nor listened to it. If people want to make judgments on it site unseen, their judgments are useless.

Top Bottom