• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree Gan 1 beta testing sign-ups open

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't know anything about the design and performance though, or if it's a great amp or not, because you haven't seen it nor listened to it. If people want to make judgments on it site unseen, their judgments are useless.

I know a great deal about the design, and maybe if you did your homework instead of spreading baseless accusations and fan boy cheer you would understand my concerns with the amp. The module comes from GaN Systems, designed under contract by EAS. The data sheets and specs are out there if you take the time to look.

Red rocket

The amp is out their to listen to also. Wouldn't it sound horrible if the designs were so flawed? Sounds like the flaws are all in your head, because the people that actually listen to the amp aren't hearing them.

goryu

How it sounds is strictly subjective and thus rather meaningless as everyone has their own opinion. The fact is it has a load dependent frequency response which will sound different with varying load and with different speakers. Class d resolved this issue 20 some years ago. You are welcome, as are others, to believe their lying ears and let their biases talk them into what they want to hear. The facts speak for themselves- the design is lacking.

Red rocket

Ok 1. You never listened to it, so you would have no idea of my ears were "lying" or not. 2. I only listen with my ears, I can't hear some specs on a sheet that you found somewhere on the internet.
3.I only listen to one pair of speakers at a time, so I don't really see why that would matter. Tried 4 ohm and eight ohm speakers . Both sounded great. 5. You're just being ignorant and making yourself look stupid so maybe quit this thread and maybe join one of a product you've actually listened to.

goryu

Ok 1. You never listened to it, so you would have no idea of my ears were "lying" or not. 2. I only listen with my ears, I can't hear some specs on a sheet that you found somewhere on the internet.
3.I only listen to one pair of speakers at a time, so I don't really see why that would matter. Tried 4 ohm and eight ohm speakers . Both sounded great. 5. You're just being ignorant and making yourself look stupid so maybe quit this thread and maybe join one of a product you've actually listened to.
I don't need to listen to it to know that it is poorly designed. Do you think your speakers represent exactly a 4 or 8 ohm load over the entire frequency spectrum?

I look ignorent? Who is posting subjective opinions as if they have meaning to others in a forum called Audio Science Review? That is the definition of ignorance...lol...

Red rocket

You haven't measured this product to see if flawed or not, you're just assuming that. Even if it does have a load dependent frequency response and it sounds great, then what's the issue here?..
The scientific method would have you testing the actual amp.

Last edited:

goryu

You haven't measured this product to see if flawed or not, you're just assuming that. Even if it does have a load dependent frequency response and it sounds great, then what's the issue here?..
The scientific method would have you testing the actual amp.
As I said, the data sheets show the amp's measured performance. It has been tested. It has load dependent frequency response.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Even if it does have a load dependent frequency response and it sounds great, then what's the issue here?..

Not so much an issue, but the "great sound" could in this case just be the unevenness of the frequency response you get from the load interaction. Meaning that the amp doesn't do anything you can't get from simply playing around a bit with some EQ.

Or if the objective shortcomings aren't decremental enough to be audible, it's basically just an amp that manages to do what most other amps also do. Nothing spectacular.

tbrobison

Can you please post the data sheet for the Peachtree GaN 1 so I can see what you're talking about?
So far, just crickets to your request.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I would have liked to see it too.

I think it's reasonable to expect a switching amp with no post filter feedback to have load interactions, but it's only an assumption on my part.

Red rocket

Goryu said the Peachtree GaN 1 test results are out there. Weird how no one can find them though.

There very well might be load interactions. My only point is, find out if it's actually true before shitting all over a product. This is a scientific forum after all.

And no, I'm not a fan boy. Idc about peachtree at all. If I didn't like the sound of the gan 1, or it wasn't an improvement over my last amp, I would have just returned the gan 1 and kept my musical fidelity m6s prx. If you actually test the gan 1 and it tests bad feel free to shit all over it for those specific things that it tests bad in. I know it might be hard for some, but if you look past the numbers and actually give it a listen, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I know it might be hard for some, but if you look past the numbers and actually give it a listen, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm more interested in finding out why it gives you pleasure. If the cause is something dumb that can be emulated with a simple in-line filter, I really don't see any reason to recommend replacing an entire amplifier to get that effect. If the cause is placebo, the recommendation becomes even more pointless.

I'm starting to look at amps more and more as commodities and much less as critical components in the hunt for tangible improvement. I personally believe we'd do ourselves a favor if we steered our focus towards size, efficiency and reliability and forgot about "magical goodness".

Red rocket

That's deep, I'm not a psychologist so I don't really know why it gives me pleasure or why anything does for that matter.

Calling stuff a placebo is kind of just an easy way of writing something off without trying to find out what is really going on. Especially if you haven't listened to the product. Some diffrances are placebo for sure though. Stuff can measure prefect and sound horrible or measure imperfect and sound great. I don't think that with sound, every single aspect is measurable with our current technology, at least how it relates to human hearing and our enjoyment of the sound.

I wish I had the tools and know how to measure this amp. I am looking forward to seeing the findings of someone that does. It does have a 30 day return policy, so maybe someone can take advantage of that and post the results.

goryu

...Stuff can measure prefect and sound horrible or measure imperfect and sound great. I don't think that with sound, every single aspect is measurable with our current technology, at least how it relates to human hearing and our enjoyment of the sound.

We don't measure the "sound" of amps, etc. We measure electrical characteristics, which our present technology can handle just fine. Human hearing is a physiological process with an end result, a subjective interpretation, that is not measurable nor necessarily shared. It's an opinion, not a fact. Measurements tell us how a piece of equipment performs objectively, that is, how well does it do what it is designed to do- an amp obviously is tasked with taking an input signal and most simply, making it larger as accurately as possible. Psychoacoustic studies have shown that certain types of distortion are actually perceived as pleasant by many and thus some amp designers tailor the distortion spectra to this phenomena. Others don't and prefer to let the end user use "tone controls" if they wish to add as suits them. Regardless, measurements are objective and don't address directly issues of a subjective nature, i.e., "good sound".

Stuff can measure prefect and sound horrible or measure imperfect and sound great

Sure, there is no accounting for taste. See above.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Calling stuff a placebo is kind of just an easy way of writing something off without trying to find out what is really going on.

I wouldn't say that. If you have little to go by, you'll have to look at similar cases and make an educated guess based on the possibilities of certain effects being at play. If the odds of placebo is high, well... then the odds of placebo is high. There's no way around it. Nothing easy about it.

Especially if you haven't listened to the product.

Level matched blind A/B listening would be helpful. Otherwise the risk of error is too high.

Stuff can measure prefect and sound horrible

I don't agree. It might not fit your personal preference, but truly horrible sound requires horrible measurements.

or measure imperfect and sound great.

I agree. Assuming the imperfections aren't just immediately impressive and start giving you a headache after a while.

I don't think that with sound, every single aspect is measurable with our current technology, at least how it relates to human hearing and our enjoyment of the sound.

The sound itself is most definitely measurable. Even to a degree that human hearing could never hope to detect.

If you enjoy something, it's not difficult to find the cause. That's what I find most important.

I wish I had the tools and know how to measure this amp. I am looking forward to seeing the findings of someone that does. It does have a 30 day return policy, so maybe someone can take advantage of that and post the results.

Send it to Amir :D

Red rocket

I wouldn't say that. If you have little to go by, you'll have to look at similar cases and make an educated guess based on the possibilities of certain effects being at play. If the odds of placebo is high, well... then the odds of placebo is high. There's no way around it. Nothing easy about it.

Level matched blind A/B listening would be helpful. Otherwise the risk of error is too high.

I don't agree. It might not fit your personal preference, but truly horrible sound requires horrible measurements.

I agree. Assuming the imperfections aren't just immediately impressive and start giving you a headache after a while.

The sound itself is most definitely measurable. Even to a degree that human hearing could never hope to detect.

If you enjoy something, it's not difficult to find the cause. That's what I find most important.

Send it to Amir :D

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

How do measure micro details and instrument separation and things like that?

Would the fact that the gan 1 is rated 200w at 4 and 8 ohms suggest that it's not load dependent? Or do I have that wrong? I took the obvious step we were all over looking and emailed peachtree today to ask about load dependent or not. Should find out Monday.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

You're welcome. And thanks for responding in a calm manner. It's all too rare on the internet.

How do measure micro details and instrument separation and things like that?

Micro detail is easy. You want noise and distortion to be low enough to not swamp the musical content with an amplitude closest to the threshold of audibility.

But speakers, room acoustics and background noise in the listening space has far, far more influence on that aspect of audio playback. Probably so much that many of the amp's indiscretions gets masked by it.

As far as I understand it, instrument separation is the result of a difference between the left and right channel causing a phantom image and given the illusion of multiple sound sources. You could argue that low crosstalk in an amplifier would help with instrument separation, but crosstalk in a speaker setup needs to be shockingly non-impressive to give an illusion that's as good as it gets. Again, speakers and room acoustics contribute to this part of the audio experience endlessly more that amplifiers do.

IMO, an amplifier needs to be extremely badly designed to have any audible influence worth mentioning on things like this. As long as it isn't designed by a muppet, has plenty of power on tap and doesn't clip audibly, it's very unlikely to be the source of any superiority in playback quality.

Would the fact that the gan 1 is rated 200w at 4 and 8 ohms suggest that it's not load dependent? Or do I have that wrong?

No, how much current it can deliver to different loads doesn't tell you anything about the deviations in the frequency response. If the output filter interacts with the speaker load, it will do so no matter how much current you push.

I took the obvious step we were all over looking and emailed peachtree today to ask about load dependent or not. Should find out Monday.

Nice. I'm looking forward to their answer :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom