• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peachtree Carina is Introduced

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Overpriced and no DSP. But finally NCore and hybrid resistor+digital volume control in their lineup. Looks pretty though.

Last edited:

swedesound

Well it sounds awfully good to my ear. And seems fairly priced. YMMV, but it's miles better than my previous Nova 125SE (*on which you could always bypass the tube buffer if that wasn't your brand of vodka). All in all a very nice piece of kit. Happy Thanksgiving.

DSC06526.jpeg

zuker81

Well it sounds awfully good to my ear. And seems fairly priced. YMMV, but it's miles better than my previous Nova 125SE (*on which you could always bypass the tube buffer if that wasn't your brand of vodka). All in all a very nice piece of kit. Happy Thanksgiving.
How is the volume control? Still "parabolic" and strange like the Nova series?

swedesound

No. That was my chief complaint about the Nova 125 SE, too. I also got a weird scratchy sound that came from the speakers when I would adjust the sound. Not cool. And it would make a mechanical whirring noise if you used the remote.

The Carina has TWO volume control options -- one that's purely digital; the other they call "hybrid" which uses "a high-quality analog resistor ladder in conjunction with a digital audio attenuator." Which I have been using and appreciate the logical steps in dB. Sounds very accurate to my ears.

There is some audible clicking (*which the manual points out is normal) from the unit if you change audio levels rapidly across a wide range of dBs, but that's rare. And not the same noise from the Nova at all. It's from the relays switching. It's been a treat. So far quite pleased.

wje

Forum Donor
It appears that $1,999 "intro" price for the Carina was only valid for a few weeks after the release. It has now gone up to the regular price of $2,499. A few weeks back, I stumbled on a Nova 150 for a very, very good price. Peachtree does offer some pretty good "trade-in" prices if you have one of their older amplifiers and want to upgrade to the Carina. For me, I weighed the odds. Going to a completely digital interface isn't the best move at the moment. Plus, the Carina only has a 12V (input) trigger, but not an output trigger. Despite the weaknesses of the built-in Nova DAC, I've gotten around that issue by using my Khadas Toneboard DAC, which I've enjoyed.

I think the Carina was just a model for Peachtree to test the waters with an NCore based amplifier. I don't think the Carina will sell as many units as Peachtree hopes to sell. I'll bet within a year, we'll see a Carina-like model released that brings back the loop option, a 12V output trigger and possibly analog inputs paired with the NCore amplifiers.

D

Deleted member 15250

I wanted an all in one type device to power my overkill desk speakers and this fit the bill. Didn't want something a hot device either. Traded in equipment that was just sitting around to get the price to $1499 shipped and this is sounding great and the functionality actually feels polished and completely bug free(not the given it used to be in audio gear). My desk speakers have bliesma beryllium tweeter, sb satori dome mid, sb textreme woofer so I didn't want to waste their potential. The carina surprisingly exceeded all my expectations. I was prepared to return it if it sounded mid-fi. Anyway just wanted to give a thumbs up and let others know it's a good integrated

D

Deleted member 48726

In the past the term "mid-fi" has been applied to a level of marketing or level of construction, and not a particular "sound". When I've heard it used, that's how I took the meaning. I have not, to the best of my knowledge, heard the term "mid-fi" used as a description of a sound, as in someone saying, "Boy, that system sure sounds mid-fi." I have heard people describe the sound of boomboxes and other cheap garbage, but not by using the term "mid-fi". Instead, they used a much cruder term.
I take the Google entry as not having bearing on your comment, since the price of the Carina takes it far outside of the limited definition of "mid-fi" that is found there. It's now $2500. The Google entry references the above-mentioned cheap boomboxes, and the Carina is definitely not cheap.

It also references "limited fidelity". If there was any definition of "mid-fi" that would have a relationship to a perceivable sound, then "limited fidelity" would be the one that I feel would apply.
I believe this relationship would be most obvious however, in loudspeakers, not amps. Especially not modern solid-state amps. Tube amps, perhaps. But even the tube/solid-state hybrids that I've heard have no perceptible "sound". Even the Nelson Pass solid-state amps, which he says that he designs with a certain low level of distortion, do not have a perceptible "sound" in normal use .... and they certainly don't sound "mid-fi".

You ordered a solid-state amplifier from a company in business for a good number of years, and possessing a decent reputation, and you were worried that it might sound "mid-fi". So I am curious: What does something sound like if it sounds "mid-fi"? I suppose I could be painstakingly specific: what does a modern $2500 solid-state amplifier sound like if it sounds "mid-fi"?

Jim

p.s. - I already graduated high school.
Not great, not terrible..;)

MediaHead

So, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I did get the Carina on promo price and was torn between a few different options, including the NAD C399, Rotel RA1592, and Arcam SA30.

I am running Martin Logan ESL-X so know that this may not apply to all speakers as electrostats have unique behaviors. However they scale well.

I had a bluesound powernode and it was solid and easy to use, sounded good. On different speakers I had Classe CAD200 in the past but can't directly compare.

I initially was searching at a local shop, where I was able to A/B the NAD and Arcam on some of the higher end Martin Logans, the Classic 9s I think. They both sounded great. The NAD was a more detailed, while the arcam sounded super smooth, but there were some tracks that almost sounded muddy in comparison. I wasn't able to test the Rotel unfortunately. The shop could get Peachtree too which I had owned in like 2014. I had them order it in as long as I could test them at home.

So the NAD sounded great, a HUGE step up from the Powernode. More detail, more power. Everything felt faster. Then I swapped to the Peachtree. Similar upper end. But could push to higher volumes and seemed to have more low end, the soundstage might've been a little wider too. So I bought the peachtree.

I think it was worth it. It feels like it punches above its price point, there may be some obscure brand or DIY stuff that could sound better for the price but I am thoroughly impressed. The only thing I wish it had was HDMI ARC. It has an HDMI input but for some reason it is I2S as opposed to HDMI ARC.

I am happy. I'm can't quantify why in specs. It just sounds really good and it is very pretty.

prayingmantis

Hey, just a question. I just purchased the Carina and notice a definitive "buzz" when I have headphones in either the 1/4" or 4.4mm jacks. I can cycle the inputs and hear it on every input, despite having only the USB-B connected at the moment. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior but it's a bit annoying as I don't remember my Nova ever buzzing. Any insights would be greatly appreciated? Thanks in advance.

CHenry

carina-ge-front-900h_grande.jpg

carina-ge-rear-900h_grande.jpg

I suspect at the $2000 introductory price this is overpriced also at the $2500 full price Here's a link.

It appear not to have inputs for a phono stage.
It is a shame there are only digital inputs, although that is part of their rationale that an integrated is better focused on a market segment ("lifestyle product") interested in streaming and digital media and analog media users and those wanting to use external DACs will find other products more desirable, same here as there are no balanced I/O either. Peachtree's PreDAC has the XLR, so there's that, but the one feature they failed to include on the PreDAC was the display, which should be expected for the money.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Peachtree Audio is selling their Carina amplifier in Piano Black for $1,599 and in Gloss Ebony Mocha for $1,699

ca1075

Peachtree Audio is selling their Carina amplifier in Piano Black for $1,599 and in Gloss Ebony Mocha for $1,699

I believe Peachtree is no longer going through retailer’s and will be selling direct going forward.

CHenry

It is a shame there are only digital inputs, although that is part of their rationale that an integrated is better focused on a market segment ("lifestyle product") interested in streaming and digital media and analog media users and those wanting to use external DACs will find other products more desirable, same here as there are no balanced I/O either. Peachtree's PreDAC has the XLR, so there's that, but the one feature they failed to include on the PreDAC was the display, which should be expected for the money.
Other options are third party phono preamps with a digital optical output. Pro-Ject makes one. It isn't that difficult a workaround. As for feature set, there isn't another integrated that comes close to the Peachtree for the money. Cambridge have some nice models in the $1000-$1500 but not with 300W.

CHenry

As with their GaN1 all-digital power-DAC amplifier which is sold bundled with a BlueSound Node, the BlueSound analog inputs can accept phono SE outputs. Peachtree may be moving toward more of this technology, and not so much "traditional" module-focused digital amplification designs (ICEPower, Hypex, Purifi, etc.)

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
This may be a pricing error...........

Peachtree Audio has a listing on Amazon (USA) for the 'Piano Black' Carina integrated amplifier for $1,599 with a 36 percent digital coupon available at checkout for a net price of $1,023.36 - the digital coupon is seen in the 'all buying options' link within the link below

Edit: Amazon just canceled my order

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
New 'Carina' amplifiers from Peachtree Audio - with a switchable Line/Phono analog input and Hypex N-core amplifier modules

Top Bottom