• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PCM4104 PCB board what do I need to complete it for a working DAC?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Eh, pity.. That means volume control won't work with Volumio. Anyway, thank you!
Are you needing multichannel, or just stereo? PCM Front (or one of the sliders, anyway) controls the output from the two RCA sockets so it should be fine for stereo.

Will you be running Pulseaudio? I would have thought it very unlikely that it isn't possible to set something up to do what you want. So many configuration files! e.g. in /usr/share/alsa and /usr/share/pulseaudio - I find it a bit mind boggling. You can maybe set up a virtual 'loopback' driver to act as a fake device and configure the volume level to be copied to all the channels, etc.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Are you needing multichannel, or just stereo? PCM Front (or one of the sliders, anyway) controls the output from the two RCA sockets so it should be fine for stereo.

Will you be running Pulseaudio? I would have thought it very unlikely that it isn't possible to set something up to do what you want. So many configuration files! e.g. in /usr/share/alsa and /usr/share/pulseaudio - I find it a bit mind boggling. You can maybe set up a virtual 'loopback' driver to act as a fake device and configure the volume level to be copied to all the channels, etc.

I was thinking about using that DAC to add subwoofer to my stereo setup. DAC would be connected to a PC running Volumio and BruteFIR plugin and both of them rely on ALSA. As Volumio is a custom distro I would like to avoid messing with it.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I was thinking about using that DAC to add subwoofer to my stereo setup. DAC would be connected to a PC running Volumio and BruteFIR plugin and both of them rely on ALSA. As Volumio is a custom distro I would like to avoid messing with it.
You'd have to mess with it anyway wouldn't you? Last I checked the BruteFIR plugin only supported 2 channel output. There's no reason why it couldn't support more, and be used as an active crossover though. This probably belongs in the Volumio and BriteFIR thread though.

Krunok

Major Contributor
You'd have to mess with it anyway wouldn't you? Last I checked the BruteFIR plugin only supported 2 channel output. There's no reason why it couldn't support more, and be used as an active crossover though. This probably belongs in the Volumio and BriteFIR thread though.

Not really - so far I haven't intervened in Volumio at all and would prefer to stay it that way.

Yesterday I received BruteFIR plugin version for 4 channels from developer and I plan to test it by designing low pass filter with EQ for sub and add high pass filter to my current EQ filters for mains.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Not really - so far I haven't intervened in Volumio at all and would prefer to stay it that way.

Yesterday I received BruteFIR plugin version for 4 channels from developer and I plan to test it by designing low pass filter with EQ for sub and add high pass filter to my current EQ filters for mains.
Well you might not be touching Volumio, but you might be telling Alsa to automatically route audio and control commands to certain places. As I say, it's mind-boggling but very flexible, and you'll end up an expert for a week or so and then forget all about it until the next time...

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well you might not be touching Volumio, but you might be telling Alsa to automatically route audio and control commands to certain places. As I say, it's mind-boggling but very flexible, and you'll end up an expert for a week or so and then forget all about it until the next time...

Well, the idea is actually that a user installs Volumio, install BruteFIR plugin, load filters and that's it. If DAC manufacturer cannot write ALSA driver that does master volume control than maybe that DAC is not up to that task. I'm not aiming for a one time solution for myself but to help developer finish BruteFIR pluging for Volumio so it is easy to use while still having sufficient functionality to do EQ, volume based active fltering (for reducing bass at high volume level and boosting it for low levels) and ability to implement active crossovers.

Last edited:
OP
Trdat

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The user guide says it can achieve datasheet specs for the PCM4104 with the opamps it's using, so check the datasheet to see if you think that's good enough. Unless you're doing it this way for the fun/challenge of DIYing there are probably better options. If you're not already at least somewhat familiar with I2C, I2S, TDM and software development you'll be doing a lot of learning along the way.

Well initially I thought that as it seems like a significantly cheaper option of course the learning process always outweighs everything but if you say that there is better options out there than ill leave my DIY intentions on learning digital crossover and DIY speakers.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
No, I did see that but it ain't a review.

I have no connection with that news report and I suspect that no one at Stereophile heard it. Just a 15-year-old news report based on press releases, imho. Why the sudden interest?

Just thought it might be a serious contender for an affordable multi channel DACeven with the DIYing on top. I am planning to go the digital crossover route and looking for a serious DAC which at the very least will not be a downgrade from my current one. I have not been convinced with the options out there and most are quite expensive.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'll have to have another look - it might fix issue #208, and I could use it to apply headphone EQ to the Forte's headphone out while having room EQ on the main out.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I'll have to have another look - it might fix issue #208, and I could use it to apply headphone EQ to the Forte's headphone out while having room EQ on the main out.

It is a dev version that has not been published and I have yet to buy a multichannel DAC to test it. As it looks now it will be miniDSP U-DAC8.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Well initially I thought that as it seems like a significantly cheaper option of course the learning process always outweighs everything but if you say that there is better options out there than ill leave my DIY intentions on learning digital crossover and DIY speakers.
By the time you've added PSU, case and something with I2S/TDM it's barely cheaper than the U-DAC8 @Krunok mentions above, and much more than the Xonar U7 @Cosmik suggests. I don't think you've listed your requirements so I don't know whether we should be pointing you at other options.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
By the time you've added PSU, case and something with I2S/TDM it's barely cheaper than the U-DAC8 @Krunok mentions above, and much more than the Xonar U7 @Cosmik suggests. I don't think you've listed your requirements so I don't know whether we should be pointing you at other options.

I know there is another thread somewhere regarding multichannel DACs and a few have been thrown around in my original post. It just seems like they are all expensive or just not good enough. So far I know about the Steinberg UR824, the Focusrite which I believe I am paying for mic premp outs that I dont need. There is the U-DAC8 as an affordable option with the Lynx hilo obviously to expensive. There is the Motu8 and Motu ultralight MK as well as the OKTO research which are a little more expensive but have good specs and have been reviewed here.

My set up will be digital crossovers from my PC using Audiolense into a multichannel DAC to feed into a number of power amps > DIY speakers. My gear is not very high end but as I DIY my speakers and enclosures I do and will have some descent drivers in some very descent enclosures. Hence why I am hesitant to use a cheaper DAC.
Anyway, any other recommendations will be appreciated. If it doesn't exist it seems the Motu8 or Okto are the best options for now.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I know there is another thread somewhere regarding multichannel DACs and a few have been thrown around in my original post. It just seems like they are all expensive or just not good enough. So far I know about the Steinberg UR824, the Focusrite which I believe I am paying for mic premp outs that I dont need. There is the U-DAC8 as an affordable option with the Lynx hilo obviously to expensive. There is the Motu8 and Motu ultralight MK as well as the OKTO research which are a little more expensive but have good specs and have been reviewed here.

My set up will be digital crossovers from my PC using Audiolense into a multichannel DAC to feed into a number of power amps > DIY speakers. My gear is not very high end but as I DIY my speakers and enclosures I do and will have some descent drivers in some very descent enclosures. Hence why I am hesitant to use a cheaper DAC.
Anyway, any other recommendations will be appreciated. If it doesn't exist it seems the Motu8 or Okto are the best options for now.

So you think U-DAC8 is not good enough for your needs? I actually plan to use it for similar purpose (sub integration).

I suggest you read this, it may help you putting DAC's THD into perspective of the bigger picture.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I assume from Audiolense that you'll be using Windows. I'll leave others to comment on what may or may not have decent driver support, new or used, as I don't use Windows. How good is good enough, and how many channels do you need?

Another option if you don't already have enough amps - the Hypex FusionAmp range come with DSP for doing active crossovers. You can get 6 channels of good applification and DSP for about the same as a MOTU interface.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I don't know whether evaluation boards have to meet EMC regulations and so on. A conventional product will be protected against ESD, RFI etc. It will have to carry on working if there's a static discharge nearby or someone uses a mobile phone, and it won't interfere with the radio in the next room.

To make this device work is going to involve some Heath Robinson wiring, I imagine. If I was wishing to avoid a device going mad and sending out random full amplitude signals to my speakers I would be nervous.

Looking at the schematic of this board, I notice that the user manual is dated 2004. Surely there's got to be a better way...

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
So you think U-DAC8 is not good enough for your needs? I actually plan to use it for similar purpose (sub integration).

I suggest you read this, it may help you putting DAC's THD into perspective of the bigger picture.

I read that and some other reviews and apparently its a descent DAC for the price.

Its this quote from stereophile which I need to untangle
"
For now, I'm keeping the U-DAC8 in the system because it's a distinct enhancement. I hope to turn it into a giant-killer by experimenting with USB links and alternative power supplies, and finding a way to get it to drive the power amps directly"

Can't this DAC drive my power amps directly? DO I need a preamp before each power amp?(this kind of defeats the purpose of a affordable DAC) and how do I control volume?

Also, USB links and alternate power supllies? Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Krunok

Major Contributor
I read that and some other reviews and apparently its a descent DAC for the price.

"
For now, I'm keeping the U-DAC8 in the system because it's a distinct enhancement. I hope to turn it into a giant-killer by experimenting with USB links and alternative power supplies, and finding a way to get it to drive the power amps directly"

Can't this DAC drive my power amps directly? DO I need a preamp before each power amp?(this kind of defeats the purpose of a affordable DAC) and how do I control volume?

Also, USB links and alternate power supllies? Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

U-DAC8 can drive your amps directly. It will expose 8 separate channel volume controls and master volume control to ALSA or to Windows via ASIO driver.

You don't need separate power supply with this DAC - it has been designed to get power from computer USB port.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
I assume from Audiolense that you'll be using Windows. I'll leave others to comment on what may or may not have decent driver support, new or used, as I don't use Windows. How good is good enough, and how many channels do you need?

Another option if you don't already have enough amps - the Hypex FusionAmp range come with DSP for doing active crossovers. You can get 6 channels of good applification and DSP for about the same as a MOTU interface.

Will definitely go the Audiolense>Multichannel DAC>power amps> DIY speakers route

Technically I only need 4 channels sub, low bass, mid and high.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
U-DAC8 can drive your amps directly. It will expose 8 separate channel volume controls and master volume control to ALSA or to Windows via ASIO driver.

You don't need separate power supply with this DAC - it has been designed to get power from computer USB port.

Great that's good news. It seems then it might be a descent option. Appreciate all your replies.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
"
Sorry for the ambiguity. I was referring to having a physical volume control and, preferably, after the DAC.
That said, I am not using it any more in my CT system but have replaced it with the U-DIO8+3xMyteks.
As for the VC issue, I have found this useful although it is before the DAC:
200211-1500x1500.jpg

Top Bottom