• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC to hifi connection

RobR

Hi. My knowledge about Audio/Video and computers are quite limited, I have the following question.

I have two Windows-10 PC, separated about 10 metres (30 feet) from each other:

-PC 'A' (used mainly for entertainment)

-PC 'B' (used mainly for work)

PC 'A' connects to a hifi setup (DAC, amplifier, speakers, subwoofer) via wired connections (PC to DAC via USB). The hifi set-up sits next to PC 'A'.

While I’m working (using PC 'B'), I usually listen to music played by PC 'A' (plays Tidal with the hifi setup).

Now I’d like to play Tidal from PC 'B', so I can control the playback (volume, media control) from PC 'B' (& music would still play using the Hifi). Any easy solution (software / hardware) to do this without losing music fidelity? (e.g. want to avoid bluetooth)

Additional info:
-the DAC is a NAD D 1050. Getting a new DAC or streamer is an option I’d consider (though I'll keep my integrated amp). Budget would be best under USD500, but can stretch a little.
-the 2 PC (mini PC) are connected to the same wifi.
-I want to take advantage Tidal & Spotify highest resolution music.
-I have a new wired keyboard with a rotary knob, that I use with PC 'B'. I'd really like to use this knob to control the Tidal/Spotify's volume (just a fun personal preference).
-Operation smoothness/reliability/consistency, super easy set up, convenience, good sound are important for me.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 46664

@Apesbrain probably has the most straight forward answer.

But if your stereo has an extra set of RCA inputs nothing stops you from using file sharing to access the files, installing the streamer appis locally and play them from PC-B into the stereo directly. All you really need is a cable...

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If you connect two PCs which have 3pin PSUs (they all do) via RCA to a single amplifier you can run into ground loop issues. If you put DACs with 2pin connectors (like your NAD) in between it can fix the problem. But by far the easiest solution is to just connect to remotely to the PC that is already connected to the stereo anyway.

If you're using Windows, this is called remote desktop. Just press Win key+Pause and select remote desktop from there to enable it (on PC A). Then run mstsc.exe on PC B to connect to PC A.

OP
R

RobR

Use Remote Desktop to control PC 'A' from PC 'B'.

What music player software is being used on PC 'A'?
I use Tidal & Spotify in PC 'A'.

Thanks for the idea. This is new to me, I'd never known Remote Desktop. I just watched a youtube video about it. It seems we can only log into one windows PC at the same time (either PC 'A' or PC 'B'). Is this true?

So I guess a typical sequence would be:
1. turn on PC 'A' & PC 'B'
2. with PC 'B', log into PC 'A' remotely.
3. start Tidal in PC 'A'.
4. log back into PC 'B' so I can start working
5. when I need to change volume or media control, I log into PC 'A' again to change volume
6. then log into PC 'B' to continue working

log-in process means entering username & password every time?

would the sequence be like above?
I can't try since I only have Windows-10-Home on both PC. Will I need to upgrade both PC to Windows 10 Pro (or only need to upgrade the remote PC)?

Is there another software with faster access in and out both PC? maybe something like having 2 windows in PC 'B', one contains PC 'A' and the other contains PC 'B'; and we can just move our mouse to open [PC 'A'] or [PC 'B']

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Is there another software with faster access in and out both PC? maybe something like having 2 windows in PC 'B', one contains PC 'A' and the other contains PC 'B'; and we can just move our mouse to open [PC 'A'] or [PC 'B']
You could use Teamviewer. It's free for personal use. Whatever you use, on PC B it's simply another program window, one that you can minimize.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5. when I need to change volume or media control, I log into PC 'A' again to change volume
Way too complicated,
2) Install Teamviewer on both PC's
3) Run Team viewer on both, connect B to A.

You can keep the Teamviewer application running in the background while you work on PC B and tab in when you need to change something on PC A.

OP
R

RobR

If you connect two PCs which have 3pin PSUs (they all do) via RCA to a single amplifier you can run into ground loop issues. If you put DACs with 2pin connectors (like your NAD) in between it can fix the problem. But by far the easiest solution is to just connect to remotely to the PC that is already connected to the stereo anyway.

If you're using Windows, this is called remote desktop. Just press Win key+Pause and select remote desktop from there to enable it (on PC A). Then run mstsc.exe on PC B to connect to PC A.
Do you mean, we connect both PC to the DAC (PC 'A' to DAC via USB, PC 'B' to DAC via optical?) ? (I attach NAD D 1050 data sheet showing available inputs).
PC 'B' is 10 metres (30 feet) away from the DAC. Should be fine with optical connection?

Attachments

• NAD-D-1050-USB-DAC-Data-Sheet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 134

Aerith Gainsborough

PC 'B' is 10 metres (30 feet) away from the DAC. Should be fine with optical connection?
According to Wikipedia, 10m is the maximum distance for SPDiF. Could work, could not work. 10m could not be enough with proper cable routing.

With Teamviewer, still need to have Windows Remote Desktop?
No, it's a 3rd party program and should work the same on all windows versions.

OP
R

RobR

@digitalfrost & @AerithGainsborough, thanks for the idea. I'll look it up. With Teamviewer, still need to have Windows Remote Desktop?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Nope, Teamviewer is a standalone solution.

Do you mean, we connect both PC to the DAC (PC 'A' to DAC via USB, PC 'B' to DAC via optical?) ? (I attach NAD D 1050 data sheet showing available inputs).
I meant that if you connect two devices with 3pin power plugs (PCs) to an audio amplifier and you use RCA connections you can have ground loop issues. If you use optical connections to the DAC it will absolutely be fine as they are electrically isolated. However be aware that SPDIF maximum length is specified as 10m, which is roughly 30 feet. So you're right at the edge. But I guess it would work.

Apesbrain

Another approach:

1. Install Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite-X on PC 'A'; both free
2. Install TIDAL and Spotify plugins for LMS > http://127.0.0.1:9000 (bookmark that) then go to Settings > Plugins tab
3. Enter login credentials into the two plugins; control both from within LMS
4. Install Squeezelite-X on PC 'B' and set it to control LMS on PC 'A'.

With PC 'A' running LMS, you can also log into and control your music playback from any browser on your network, e.g. another PC, a tablet, or a phone.

Digby

Major Contributor
Be aware that you might have to pay tech support in Bangalore with Google Play gift cards, if you make a habit of using Teamviewer. Sir, do not redeem!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
teamviewer is quite a resource hog compared to other solutions like freevnc for example

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Tidal & Spotify in PC 'A'.

Thanks for the idea. This is new to me, I'd never known Remote Desktop. I just watched a youtube video about it. It seems we can only log into one windows PC at the same time (either PC 'A' or PC 'B'). Is this true?

log-in process means entering username & password every time?

would the sequence be like above?
I can't try since I only have Windows-10-Home on both PC. Will I need to upgrade both PC to Windows 10 Pro (or only need to upgrade the remote PC)?

No you can be logged into both machines at once. Make a connection to PCA from b. Pc a‘s screen can be in a window on pc b. Set music going using the window to a then continue to work on pc b minimising pc a‘s window if necessary.

Grumpish

You could use Teamviewer. It's free for personal use. Whatever you use, on PC B it's simply another program window, one that you can minimize.

Teamviewer is very insecure - only use it if you can configure your router to block it from outside.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I don't see the issue with Teamviewer. You cannot do anything without knowing the ID and the password. By design Teamviewer will go through firewalls, which is what makes it so easy to use. It wouldn't be my first recommendation for a LAN remote desktop, but it's free and easy to use. Since OP has no experience with remote login solutions it seems sensible to suggest it.

Ofc he could also use any VNC solution if he doesn't want to pay for the Windows Pro upgrade, but they might be more complicated. I think for getting his feet in remote desktoping Teamviewer is just the ticket.

I am a shareholer and this is a 2.5B company, I think if their stuff was insecure I'd know. If you have any sources that proof it's not good please let me know so I can sell my shares in good conscience.

JGeez

Hi. My knowledge about Audio/Video and computers are quite limited, I have the following question.

I have two Windows-10 PC, separated about 10 metres (30 feet) from each other:

-PC 'A' (used mainly for entertainment)

-PC 'B' (used mainly for work)

PC 'A' connects to a hifi setup (DAC, amplifier, speakers, subwoofer) via wired connections (PC to DAC via USB). The hifi set-up sits next to PC 'A'.

While I’m working (using PC 'B'), I usually listen to music played by PC 'A' (plays Tidal with the hifi setup).

Now I’d like to play Tidal from PC 'B', so I can control the playback (volume, media control) from PC 'B' (& music would still play using the Hifi). Any easy solution (software / hardware) to do this without losing music fidelity? (e.g. want to avoid bluetooth)

Additional info:
-the DAC is a NAD D 1050. Getting a new DAC or streamer is an option I’d consider (though I'll keep my integrated amp). Budget would be best under USD500, but can stretch a little.
-the 2 PC (mini PC) are connected to the same wifi.
-I want to take advantage Tidal & Spotify highest resolution music.
-I have a new wired keyboard with a rotary knob, that I use with PC 'B'. I'd really like to use this knob to control the Tidal/Spotify's volume (just a fun personal preference).
-Operation smoothness/reliability/consistency, super easy set up, convenience, good sound are important for me.
I use NoMachine (https://www.nomachine.com/) to control remote PCs, It is free and works really well. It is simple to use. You can control the Tidal or any app on the remote computer.

Reactions: jae
OP
R

RobR

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I'll look up the software ideas.
Apart from those, I'm considering the 10-meter (30 feet) connection too.

Top Bottom