• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC to hifi connection

OP
R

RobR

Both PC don't have optical output. So to do optical connection from PC 'B' to the DAC, what do I need? USB to Optical adapter? Would this affect the audio quality?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you able to install software on your work PC? If so, then I think you can install Tidal and Spotify and use the 'connect' feature of both clients to control the corresponding client on PC A.

You'll also need to check if your work PC can still access your local network if you use a VPN to access work ('split tunnelling' is often blocked for corporate connections.

I was in a similar situation during lockdown and simply used the Spotify client on my phone or Android tablet to control Spotify on my home PC.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Since it's all digital there should be no quality loss. One of the cheapest options is a Behringer U-Control UCA202. If you want sample-rates higher than 48khz, Topping D10s is also an option, but it starts to get expensive there for a simple digital out. On the high-end, RME Digiface.

OP
R

RobR

Are you able to install software on your work PC? If so, then I think you can install Tidal and Spotify and use the 'connect' feature of both clients to control the corresponding client on PC A.

You'll also need to check if your work PC can still access your local network if you use a VPN to access work ('split tunnelling' is often blocked for corporate connections.

I was in a similar situation during lockdown and simply used the Spotify client on my phone or Android tablet to control Spotify on my home PC.
Thanks. I tried and it works great for me! I've never noticed they have this feature before. Spotify works fine in my situation. Tidal, apparently can only cast/connect to certain devices, and Windows-10-PC is not one of them.

(For those interested, here's the list of devices that currently works with Tidal Connect https://tidal.com/supported-devices?filter=tidal-connect)

OP
R

RobR

To cast Tidal Connect from PC 'B' to PC 'A', would Wiim Mini be a good option? Can Windows PC and Android devices use Wiim Mini?

Would it be like this:
PC 'B' plays Tidal. Then use Tidal 'connect' feature to cast to Wiim Mini via wifi. Then Wiim Mini sends to the DAC via optical cable. This will be a lossless connection from PC 'B' to the DAC right?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You would plug the Wiim Mini into one of the optical inputs on the D 1050. You could then cast Tidal from either PC to the Wiim Mini/D 1050 combo.

OP
R

RobR

You would plug the Wiim Mini into one of the optical inputs on the D 1050. You could then cast Tidal from either PC to the Wiim Mini/D 1050 comb
When using & casting Tidal from either PC, will I be using Tidal interface or Wiim Mini user interface? (this is regarding using Tidal full features: mixes, playlist etc)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WiiM website says that the Tidal app is the remote...

1650927267420.png

kbex

Just buy a Wiim Mini and use 'Tidal connect' from any device that you want.

Top Bottom