• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC setup for Fostex t50rp

hola

Hello I'm hoping you guys can help me make sense of what I should do because I'm kinda lost.

It all started when I was going to buy a pair of t50rps and an xlr microphone for my pc.
The plan was to buy a usb interface capable of driving the headphones and providing good mic gain however it seems that most are unable to provide that kind of current, at least the ones available in my mere mortal budget ($300).

My new plan is to get a cheap interface just for the mic like a M-Audio M-Track Solo. For the headphones I currently have a fiio e10k so I'm thinking I could use that as the DAC and then get an Atom as the amp.

So it would be:
PC > M-Track > Mic
PC > e10k > Atom > headphones

Would that work, is there a better way of doing this within my budget?

Thanks for your help.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Atom should be fine unless you've over the top on mods and completely killed the T50RP's efficiency.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Motu M2/M4 has a decent headphone amplifier and supports phantom power. I quit using my Objective2 headphone amp because my M4 sounds fine, anyway.

OP
H

hola

The Atom should be fine unless you've over the top on mods and completely killed the T50RP's efficiency.
Great. So just to double check all I would have to do is run a 3.5mm cable from the line out in the e10k into the Atom and it should work?

The Motu M2/M4 has a decent headphone amplifier and supports phantom power. I quit using my Objective2 headphone amp because my M4 sounds fine, anyway.
I looked at the Motu M2 and thought it looked great for normal headphones but felt it would struggle with planars.

Vict0r

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great. So just to double check all I would have to do is run a 3.5mm cable from the line out in the e10k into the Atom and it should work?

Yes. Should be fine.

I looked at the Motu M2 and thought it looked great for normal headphones but felt it would struggle with planars.

It's agree. It's pretty weak. Nice low output impedance though

jZyODtN.png

OP
H

hola

Okay I think I've settled on that setup then.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it :)

twsecrest

Hello I'm hoping you guys can help me make sense of what I should do because I'm kinda lost.
It all started when I was going to buy a pair of t50rps and an XLR microphone for my pc.
The plan was to buy a USB interface capable of driving the headphones and providing good mic gain however it seems that most are unable to provide that kind of current, at least the ones available in my mere mortal budget ($300).
My new plan is to get a cheap interface just for the mic like a M-Audio M-Track Solo. For the headphones I currently have a FiiO E10K so I'm thinking I could use that as the DAC and then get an Atom as the amp.
So it would be:
PC > M-Track > Mic
PC > e10k > Atom > headphones
Would that work, is there a better way of doing this within my budget?
Thanks for your help.
My two cents, if in need of line-input for a Mic, go with the Audio Interface, not the E10K.
You might(?) be able to plug the headphones directly into the Audio Interface and not have to use an add-on head amp.
I would not expect a 50-Ohm planar headphone to be that power demanding.
Also the money you would have spent for the add-on head amp, could be used for headphones better than the T50rps.
Takstar HF 580 planer headphone, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

Top Bottom