• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC/Nuc version recommendations?

Krunok

Major Contributor
No Windows. Linux variant OS.
Not comparable. We are discussing Roon and multichannel; are you?

:facepalm:
Of course it is comparable - just divide my figures with 2 and multiplay by number of channels you have. If you have made any logging on the machine that was running the software we could go into further details, but as you haven't..
Ont he other hand, from what I have seen your "reviews" are anyhow based on your subjective impressions and not on objective measurements, so that particular article was pretty much inline with your usual style.

Btw, my remarks are based generally on any software running on any OS doing audio processing - if it cannot run on i5 processor (don't even bother to mention i7 in this context) without choking it has been purely designed. Btw, as a computer science engineer I have worked 15+ years as a software designer so I think I have a good perception of what can be expected from modern processors. Can you say the same?

OP
Neddy

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still good stuff - thanks all - but can we try to keep it nice?
Yes, coding skill/talent matters - as a apps dev PM I used to run code reviews of my teams work by lead coders from other teams - which usually got Very Interesting. I was frequently struck by how much difference there could be in terms of creativity...and experience, but frankly the biggest 'improvements' came from overall system architecture/design decisions made at the very beginning of the development cycle -that's where cleverness and 'customer understanding' paid off big time.
But it takes all kinds - and other than really laborsome metrics (anybody remember FunctionPoints?) the CPU/network/server horsepower available - even 5 yrs ago - made much of it moot.
Heck, I once got into a battle over app server performance (load) testing (pre-go live) that cost a few people their careers, for gosh sake!

So...I do wonder about Kal's observations about Roon, Mch, and re-sampling maxing out i7 CPUs - seems odd, for sure, and very glad he mentioned it, b/c that's one of my possible end-states. Thanks for that, Kal.

BillG - that's a great tip - I'll definitely stay away from the wine bottles before tackling my first JR install/setup - something I might well have done!!!

Carry on....:)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
:facepalm:
Of course it is comparable - just divide my figures with 2 and multiplay by number of channels you have. If you have made any logging on the machine that was running the software we could go into further details, but as you haven't..
Ont he other hand, from what I have seen your "reviews" are anyhow based on your subjective impressions and not on objective measurements, so that particular article was pretty much inline with your usual style.

Btw, my remarks are based generally on any software running on any OS doing audio processing - if it cannot run on i5 processor (don't even bother to mention i7 in this context) without choking it has been purely designed. Btw, as a computer science engineer I have worked 15+ years as a software designer so I think I have a good perception of what can be expected from modern processors. Can you say the same?

No nor have I made any representations to such. My observations on the Nucleus+ are what they are and, since I am not CS-trained, I have to leave it to others to explain. However, you seem not to accept that the Nucleus+ can only run Roon and we have already agreed that Roon is not an efficient application. Therefore, comparisons to another system running different a different application are not relevant.

I welcome you to get a Nucleus and rip it up (physically and figuratively) and let us all know what's going on inside.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like Roon users may want to start using distributed processing with one of these:

https://crate.io/a/cratecube-intel-nuc-shoebox/

In the meantime I’ll keep streaming flac over dlna using a puny 1 gig amd jaguar processor

And to think we had video games running on 8 bit 3.5 kHz processors 35 years ago

Top Bottom