• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC far away from amp - Best cable for long runs?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Depending on AVG RCA is good for up to 5 - 10 m if its a good cable in normal condition it won't pick up anything. Balanced in any jeck flavour will be good for 50 - 100 m. With good stage TPU - TPE shielding one's you can do a step dance on them when ever you feel like it and of course they are thermal resistant.
Optical depending on light transmitting layer are up to 5 - 25 m.
Standard net CAT 5~6 is good up to 25 m with patches (amplifier) it's good up to 3 km.
WiFi from 3 m to 5 km depending on antena used.
It depends only on what you want to achieve and what options do you have and of course bill.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've put the PC fairly far away from the amplifiers. Not had much success running long RCAs and a 5m USB seems similar with bringing noise into the equation.

What's the best cable for a 15-20m run? I was thinking USB to optical or coax at the PC end and a long run in either of those might be the best bet? Using either another DAC or straight into the receiver.
I have been using the 10meter Corning Optical USB for years without issue. They make longer ones, too.

Top Bottom