• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC Desktop system coil whine origin?

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm not sure of how many people still use classical desktop towers with high performance parts in their daily home use-cases. But does anyone know the origin of what has been classically known as "coil whine" from various points in a desktop system. For instance if I run a high framerate graphical benchmark, the GPU produces a piercing high frequency tone.

You also have just generalized humming of the whole system and various noises based on where you position your head. I've turned off fans to eliminate humming they inherently produce within an enclosed case that leads to resonances and such.

But does anyone have a clue on what most of these various noises are in terms of their origin? And only seem to be worse, the bigger/higher performing the parts you use in your system (sans fans/active cooling).

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not just on high TDP X86 processors but with high frequency ARM chips too such as iPhones or some Android phones. That's why I use a ULV X86 chip with integrated graphics only for my laptop for music playback since I've never encountered coil while from those chips. There's a solution from this website that can help reduce the whine, but you can also download CPU and GPU boost frequency limiter/lock like Throttlestop and experiment with the coil whine https://www.notebookcheck.net/FAQ-Coil-Whine.225152.0.html

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Solution: Use low power components, don't stress them and keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited:

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've built 3 computers recently and they all have parts that coil whine. For me it's all about getting a part with manageable coil whine.

What's weird is all my old self built computers didn't have any. I'm guessing the push for higher performance has superseded the need for it to be completely quiet.

I've always heard that it's high frequency vibrations of coils on the pcb.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor

Solution: Use low power components, don't stress them and keep your fingers crossed.

I understand the basics, I was wondering if anyone knew what the technical reasons were, and with that in mind, aid in future designs to limit the issue, and not make it worse as has been the case as time goes on. Especially odd considering the efficiency improvements of node shrinks and such.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As far as a solution to it, I can chime in. Some manufacturers that care about coil whine will glue the coil into place and encapsulate it. The noise is the coil moving, vibrating, so gluing it in place will actually stop it. At least that's what I've read.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Especially odd considering the efficiency improvements of node shrinks and such.

It's actually a really good question. I would suspect it has something to do with how computer hardware has moved away from letting the PSU supply all of the specific voltages and instead is doing local regulation from 12v on the individual components.

Celty

I'm not sure of how many people still use classical desktop towers with high performance parts in their daily home use-cases. But does anyone know the origin of what has been classically known as "coil whine" from various points in a desktop system. For instance if I run a high framerate graphical benchmark, the GPU produces a piercing high frequency tone.

You also have just generalized humming of the whole system and various noises based on where you position your head. I've turned off fans to eliminate humming they inherently produce within an enclosed case that leads to resonances and such.

But does anyone have a clue on what most of these various noises are in terms of their origin? And only seem to be worse, the bigger/higher performing the parts you use in your system (sans fans/active cooling).
I have taken to not overclocking either the CPU (Ryzen 3900X) or graphics card (a growing ancient GTX970) just to keep keeping the noise floor lower (fairly silent). Luckily any coil whine is not at a detectable level. I try to be careful about component selection in regard to whine and noise in general, with particular emphasis on power supplies and graphic cards.

I replace all fans (including AIO) with high performance (i.e. airflow and pressure while being low noise) and mount everything with isolating rubber inserts/grommets. The case you choose to house your components can make a huge difference, go for one that tests as low noise. Personally, I like some of the Fractal design quieter models.

Finally, I try to clean all fans as well as the radiator before they get grungy, so fans run at lower speeds.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never experienced coil whine or hissing sounds on my desktop PCs but then again I always go custom and use expensive components. I have replaced many coils that where hissing, whining and generally making really obnoxious noises in large power amplifiers with switching power supplies. I consider a whining hissing coil to be defective or being stressed beyond the component limitations.

Top Bottom