• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC audio to amplifier interface

Nozza

Hi. I've recently set up a super budget hifi for my little cabin/office. It's all used kit off ebay: Cambridge Audio S30 speakers, Cambridge Audio One CD/Radio/Amp unit. I play all my audio via my PC - a mix of audio files from my media server or streaming services.

At the moment, the audio is being handled by a Sound Blaster Play 3 USB dongle thing. I can't really tell if it's better than the motherboard audio (Asrock B450 Gaming ITX) - it's certainly not as loud, requiring about a 10DB boost from the Sound Blaster app to match that but no idea if that really matters.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's worth spending a little bit on a better interface? Either a better USB one, or a DAC to take the optical output of the mobo?
Given I got the rest of the system for about £50 in total, I don't really want to be spending much. I

So I'd be grateful for suggestions on:

1. Is it really worth bothering at all
2. If so, what might be a good choice? There is a dizzying array of options out there: mini USB headphone DACs, PC audio USB interfaces, soundcards etc etc
3. If I get some interface/DAC, can I still use EQ on the PC?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
It is hard to say without measurements, but my hunch would be that upgrading it would not be worth it. You would probably get more bang for your buck by investing in a Umik-1 measurement microphone and creating an REW room equalization curve to apply to the Equalizer Apo software (with Peace interface) on your PC. Just my two cents.

OP
N

Nozza

It is hard to say without measurements, but my hunch would be that upgrading it would not be worth it. You would probably get more bang for your buck by investing in a Umik-1 measurement microphone and creating an REW room equalization curve to apply to the Equalizer Apo software (with Peace interface) on your PC. Just my two cents.

That's an interesting idea. I'd not considered that. I have a friend who works in AV, I imagine he'd have such a mic

Top Bottom