• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC Audio - DAC/AMP with passives and a sub?

Hello all, I'm a new one to the forum here, not necessarily new to audio but most of that experience is in basic home audio. Some of this newer separated components stuff makes my head spin with options, so here I am looking for advice.

First off this is for a PC setup, second I would like to use the speakers listed, but if it comes down to it I'll reconsider.

Currently I am using an FX-Audio DAC6 MkII(or something like that). While it’s decent, it’s thin and has a horrible noise floor for IEM’s, also my old Logitech Z323(?) from like 2005 are dying off. I need new speakers, but I’m not going the old route. I was planning on a set of these powered speakers 3, but my desk arrangement just doesn’t have the space for them.

So sitting in my closet is a pair of these old Realistic speakers in silver.

What I was planning on was the SMSL stack seen here

1. I know I can get RCA to speaker wire cables to attach the speakers, but I don’t know if that stack will have enough juice to drive the Realistic speakers.
  2. I will want to add a sub at some point, but that SMSL stack doesn’t have a dedicated sub output.
  3. I need be able to use my IEM’s without the horrendous noise floor of constant buzzing at all volumes, like my current FX-Audio does.
  4. I’m open to a smaller set of powered speakers instead of the Edifier’s, but that seems to be one of those things that if you go any smaller it’s craptastic desktop speakers.
I’m trying to keep the stack under the $300 mark.

Does anyone have suggestions?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
So sitting in my closet is a pair of these old Realistic speakers in silver.
I can guarantee those Realistic Minimus 7's will stomp those Edifiers.

I know I can get RCA to speaker wire cables to attach the speakers, but I don’t know if that stack will have enough juice to drive the Realistic speakers.
That's ghetto and you shouldn't do that. You should get a proper amp to drive speakers.
I will want to add a sub at some point, but that SMSL stack doesn’t have a dedicated sub output.
You can still add a sub. You need hook up the RCA out from the Headphone amp to your speaker amp, that has either RCA out also or Subwoofer out, then to your Subwoofer. Some people hookup a subwoofer by tamping into the speakers for ease of volume matching.

fig-05.jpg

I’m open to a smaller set of powered speakers instead of the Edifier’s, but that seems to be one of those things that if you go any smaller it’s craptastic desktop speakers.
If you a casual listener than I could imagine somebody using those. If your a critical listener, then those Realistic Minimus 7's are gonna be a better choice.

I’m trying to keep the stack under the $300 mark.
For that budget, its either HP Stack or Amp Stack, can't really have both for the same money. Personally I would recommend you go over your preferences, do you prefer speakers or headphones more. If you like headphones, go with that SMSL stack. If you like speakers better, then grab a Yamaha A-S301 + DAC (None if you got digital out from your PC), and power those Realistic's, just be sure to add a subwoofer because those do not like to bass by themselves.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you are considering the 1280, then you should get the 1280DBS which has a dedicated subwoofer out. It pairs pretty much perfectly with the T5 subwoofer by Edifier. So the system will be wireless. Not even USB is required to connect to your PC.

You can get one of those dongle based DAC's for your sensitive IEMs with the balance of your budget.

OP
T
I can guarantee those Realistic Minimus 7's will stomp those Edifiers.

That's ghetto and you shouldn't do that. You should get a proper amp to drive speakers.

You can still add a sub. You need hook up the RCA out from the Headphone amp to your speaker amp, that has either RCA out also or Subwoofer out, then to your Subwoofer. Some people hookup a subwoofer by tamping into the speakers for ease of volume matching.

View attachment 191396

If you a casual listener than I could imagine somebody using those. If your a critical listener, then those Realistic Minimus 7's are gonna be a better choice.

For that budget, its either HP Stack or Amp Stack, can't really have both for the same money. Personally I would recommend you go over your preferences, do you prefer speakers or headphones more. If you like headphones, go with that SMSL stack. If you like speakers better, then grab a Yamaha A-S301 + DAC (None if you got digital out from your PC), and power those Realistic's, just be sure to add a subwoofer because those do not like to bass by themselves.
Thanks for the helpful response. Can you elaborate on the HP or Amp stack? I'm assuming it's brands.

As I've been digging around, I considered a combo of a Schiit Modi + Loxjie A30(which has a sub output on it).

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Thanks for the helpful response. Can you elaborate on the HP or Amp stack? I'm assuming it's brands.

As I've been digging around, I considered a combo of a Schiit Modi + Loxjie A30(which has a sub output on it).
I don't see why your pairing a Schitt DAC with a Loxxije that already has a DAC built in, unless you want a better DAC?

I would recommend this: Topping DX3 Pro+ And Topping PA3s. No subwoofer output (LFE) but if your subwoofer has a crossover and high-level inputs/outputs, then this setup would be perfect for you. I can't imagine a modern or even a vintage subwoofer that has a subwoofer input (LFE) but no high-level inputs/outputs.

OP
T
If you are considering the 1280, then you should get the 1280DBS which has a dedicated subwoofer out. It pairs pretty much perfectly with the T5 subwoofer by Edifier. So the system will be wireless. Not even USB is required to connect to your PC.

You can get one of those dongle based DAC's for your sensitive IEMs with the balance of your budget.

How is any of that wireless? The sub still connects to the 1280DBs by wire and the 1280DBs connect via wire to the PC. I'm not using Bluetooth to connect to the PC or DAC.

OP
T
I don't see why your pairing a Schitt DAC with a Loxxije that already has a DAC built in, unless you want a better DAC?

I would recommend this: Topping DX3 Pro+ And Topping PA3s. No subwoofer output (LFE) but if your subwoofer has a crossover and high-level inputs/outputs, then this setup would be perfect for you. I can't imagine a modern or even a vintage subwoofer that has a subwoofer input (LFE) but no high-level inputs/outputs.
The A30 is just an amp from what I saw on Loxjie's website, or did I misread it due to there also being the D30 which is just a DAC.

OP
T

So with that Topping stack there, it has selectable output am I reading that correctly? So if i want to use just the speakers, I would select Pre-Amp out that goes to the PA3s that feeds the speakers. That seems doable.

ETA: Is that banana plug outputs on the amp? How would i connect that to the Minimus 7's that use bare wire clamps?

Got a suggestion for a sub at some point? It doesn't have to be large, like a 6" or 8" enclosure. Just big enough for a footrest :)

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The A30 is just an amp from what I saw on Loxjie's website, or did I misread it due to there also being the D30 which is just a DAC.
The A30 is a USB DAC/Headphone Amp/Speaker Amp.

So with that Topping stack there, it has selectable output am I reading that correctly? So if i want to use just the speakers, I would select Pre-Amp out that goes to the PA3s that feeds the speakers. That seems doable.
Yes it should.

ETA: Is that banana plug outputs on the amp? How would i connect that to the Minimus 7's that use bare wire clamps?
Banana plugs on amps are screwable to allow non-banana-plug wire to clamp.

Got a suggestion for a sub at some point? It doesn't have to be large, like a 6" or 8" enclosure. Just big enough for a footrest :)
Bigger the better, usually. Used subwoofers offer the best value, but in terms of new subwoofers, I would go 10 inches or more. Make sure it has a manual crossover setting on it, I seen subwoofers that don't offer a manual crossover setting.

OP
T
Bigger the better, usually. Used subwoofers offer the best value, but in terms of new subwoofers, I would go 10 inches or more. Make sure it has a manual crossover setting on it, I seen subwoofers that don't offer a manual crossover setting.
It will just be sitting under my desk in my room, I don't ever listen very loudly to music since my room is on the opposite wall of another bedroom unit on the other side of the townhouse unit. They claim they never hear anything, but I'd prefer not to chance aggravating them if possible.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It will just be sitting under my desk in my room, I don't ever listen very loudly to music since my room is on the opposite wall of another bedroom unit on the other side of the townhouse unit. They claim they never hear anything, but I'd prefer not to chance aggravating them if possible.
I dont think they make small subwoofers that can fit under desks

OP
T
I dont think they make small subwoofers that can fit under desks

What size desk are you thinking of? :) I've got a sit/stand desk that usually sits around 29" off the floor and is 63" long. Pretty sure a "small sub" will fit under that desk :cool:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
What I found:
  • Monoprice 8-inch 60 watt RMS Subwoofer
  • Monoprice 133829 8-inch Slim Subwoofer "100 watt peak power"
  • Polk PSW10 (10-inch 50 watt RMS)
  • Theater Solutions SUB8SM Slim Subwoofer 8-inch "250 watt peak power"
  • Sony SACS9 10-inch """True 115 watt RMS""" [On sale can found for $100]
I picked out this list based on:
  1. Using as a foot rest
  2. Fit under your desk
  3. Has high-level inputs

OP
T
What I found:
  • Monoprice 8-inch 60 watt RMS Subwoofer
  • Monoprice 133829 8-inch Slim Subwoofer "100 watt peak power"
  • Polk PSW10 (10-inch 50 watt RMS)
  • Theater Solutions SUB8SM Slim Subwoofer 8-inch "250 watt peak power"
  • Sony SACS9 10-inch """True 115 watt RMS""" [On sale can found for $100]
I picked out this list based on:
  1. Using as a foot rest
  2. Fit under your desk
  3. Has high-level inputs

I have the 10" version of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063NU30K/ref=emc_b_5_t in my living room. Might go with this one, it hits the mark as well.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
True. It was $115 when I bought it the first time, not it's $160
I don't see where the Dayton Audio SUB-1000 is $160, its $150. The Dayton Audio SUB-800 is $130.

OP
T
1646940348382.png

When I bought it in 2018 it was $115, is what I was getting at. Either way, those are on my consideration list for when I get to the sub.

Top Bottom