• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PBN Audio M2!5

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They certainly don't look great, the wave guide over lapping the first driver like that..

But I'm guessing they will play loud and deal well with a modern musical program, still a step backwards even if they are using some of the advances JBL have made.

There is no "overlapping of the first driver". Are you drunk, or just blind as a bat?

And you delete my posts, but yet you let Keith's posts stand? Seriously, this place is looking more and more like some sort of bizarro WBF. An echochamber on the opposite side of the scale of audiophilia. Lovely.

And I thought I finally found an international audio forum where you could actually speak your mind. I guess I was wrong. Some people just love silenceing others, I suppose. All in the name of some imagined Disney World "let's all just get along and be friends, heeyyy" fantasy.

No wonder there is so little traffic here. What a shame. If all you want are a bunch of sycophants, then I think I'm done here. o_O

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
There is no "overlapping of the first driver". Are you drunk, or just blind as a bat?

And you delete my posts, and yet you let Keith's posts stand? Seriously, this place is looking more and more like some sort of bizarro WBF.

No wonder there is so little traffic here. What a shame.
No I deleted his too, being abusive like that will not stand and if you look the wave guide does over lap, I believe the guy making these admitted as much. Just reasoned it as intentional due to the desired spacing for driver integration.

Certainly traffic won't be increased with the hostile atmosphere aggressive posting creates so I'd look at that before getting too worried about me being blind or the forum being a " bizarro WBF" .

Go smoke a splif and eat some herrings tore.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No I deleted his too, being abusive like that will not stand and if you look the wave guide does over lap, I believe the guy making these admitted as much. Just reasoned it as intentional due to the desired spacing for driver integration.

Certainly traffic won't be increased with the hostile atmosphere aggressive posting creates so I'd look at that before getting too worried about me being blind or the forum being a " bizarro WBF" .

Go smoke a splif and eat some herrings tore.

Well, you were the guy pissing all over these speakers, saying "oh, I'm sure they will be great for modern recordings". And we all know what that means.

What the audiophile hobby needs is a bit of harsh truth, but I suppose we're not gonna get that here. Unless it comes from Amir or some other hydrogenaudio reject guru.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, you were the guy pissing all over these speakers, saying "oh, I'm sure they will be great for modern recordings". And we all know what that means.

What the audiophile hobby needs is a bit of harsh truth, but I suppose we're not gonna get that here. Unless it comes from Amir.
No you got that wrong, I ment many audiophile speakers crap out and die with modern recordings so it was a genuine compliment.

As for 'truth' well there's plenty of measurements being posted and extensive investigations of those measurements being conducted. I'm not really sure what your problem is beyond a few folks not being all that impressed with these speakers given they are $ 30000. That seems to of upset you, folks were just expressing their honest opinion, their 'truth' lol

This is just a fun inclusive place to learn about audio related stuff, it's not a fundamentalist haven like hydrogenaudio forum.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

What the audiophile hobby needs is a bit of harsh truth, but I suppose we're not gonna get that here. Unless it comes from Amir or some other hydrogenaudio reject guru.

What sort of harsh truth did you have in mind ?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My speakers will play anything. They don't care.

I just don't let them.

Jim Gandy

I have the M2 supplemented with the JBL Sub18 driven by 3 Crown ITech 5000 amps. The sub has been positioned carefully utilizing REW and the main speakers have been symmetrically and precisely located in the room for best soundstage. I wonder if these speakers from PBN sound better than my setup. I like that I can optimize the location of the sub in the room for best effect, and that the compression driver is smoothed by active DSP. The main downside is that I must locate the amplifiers in another room due to fan noise, and I would like to try other amplifiers than the Crowns.

A.wayne

image.jpeg
Gentlemen

Be nice - really. The M2!5 is an excellent speaker, beyond dynamic with great tonality. The reason the upper woofer is underneath the M2 waveguide is to get it as close to the Compression driver as possible - the grille goes up underneath the lip on the horn. The woofers used are the JBL 2235H, the modern day offerings form JBL and others needs DSP to go LOW - its by purpose I used this vintage woofer. 12B4A - I doubt that :) And while your at it - lets see something that you actually have created.

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio
WWW.PBNAUDIO.COM

Ok, created , delivered , sold .....

Last edited:

A.wayne

No you got that wrong, I ment many audiophile speakers crap out and die with modern recordings so it was a genuine compliment.

As for 'truth' well there's plenty of measurements being posted and extensive investigations of those measurements being conducted. I'm not really sure what your problem is beyond a few folks not being all that impressed with these speakers given they are $ 30000. That seems to of upset you, folks were just expressing their honest opinion, their 'truth' lol

This is just a fun inclusive place to learn about audio related stuff, it's not a fundamentalist haven like hydrogenaudio forum.

Bad speakers crap out and die , dont blame Audiophilia .... :)

A.wayne

The JBL4367 is a very nice speaker indeed - hear it at a couple of shows - the M2!5 because of its 2 ea 15" woofers obviously will play louder and have more impact. The D2430H (I couple the two diaphragms in parallel hence the "H") is an excellent driver it delivers an effortless presentation. The M2!5 is the product I arrived at - I'm extremely proud of it - if you get a chance to hear it don't pass it up I'm certain you'll be impressed.

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio
WWW.PBNAUDIO.COM

Would love to hear them Peter , I'm assuming 4 ohm Nom and sensitivity in the 95db range at 1 watt .. ?

Many moons ago the 2245H used to be my weapon of choice , a great driver , pity Hartley drivers are no longer available ..

Regards

A.wayne

12Ba4 - nice indeed - I meant something that you have actually designed then built in quantity - taken to market and sold world wide.

Like this for an example

http://pbnaudio.com/audio-components/audio-amplifiers/olympia-ebsa-3

Or this

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/montana-speakers/master-reference-loudspeakers

Or this

http://pbnaudio.com/audio-turntables/vintage-direct-professional/dn308

and here something a little more economical

http://www.libertyaudio.com/products/b2b-1-all-fet-phono-preamp

Your Build Guides are nice - I've made a few of them too

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/speaker-kits/scanspeak-b741

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/speaker-kits/dayton-audio-xenia

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio

Great stuff , Love the TT .....

A.wayne

Thanks Peter ,

Seems unusually high xover to the mid/HF unit , i bet it's a pretty powerful ride , should be really good on acoustic instruments , pretty flat though the midbass area ..

Would love to hear it , Are you using LMS ....?

Regards

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems unusually high xover to the mid/HF unit ...

The net result is excellent pattern-matching in the crossover region. The crossover in the M2!5 is ime inaudible.

jeffrey_t

Old thread but I found this site while researching PBN speakers. What a bunch of audio armchair assholes.

TheDudeAbides

Hello, all!

I saw this thread and figured as I own two, soon to be three sets of Peter’s speakers and a center channel, and no one who has commented appears to have first hand experience with them that I may be able to offer some non-theoretical feedback on them. I own a pair of mini monitors, a pair of SPi’s, and soon a pair of M1!5’s, as well as an SPC-2 center. I’ve had several different speakers through my room, including Ascend Sierra’s, Magnepan 3.6R’s, and Quad 22L2’s... all were fine for music, with the 3.6R’s being the clear standout - ridiculously good for the price. Silly good, really. In fact, for whatever reason I preferred the Maggie’s sound ever so slightly with the MC7300. The Maggie’s offered a good race for the PBN’s until I paired the PBN’s with a Pass Labs XA30.8, and they pulled away pretty convincingly... and they should, as they’re a bit more expensive. PBN’s are the real deal... you kind of have to take it on faith given the lack of reviews until you hear them in person with a seriously high-quality back-end, but it’s worth it. My wife who sings even likes them, and that says it all for me... she‘s the one who convinced me to buy the M1!5’s, in fact.

The fit and finish are first rate and the cabinets are rock-solid; if you poke around YouTube long you’ll see videos of the pains PBN takes in the design and manufacture process. I am not lightly separated from my money and have dropped my fair share on PBN speakers because I work hard and at the end of the day - whether playing them loud or soft, with music or movies - they never fail to put a smile on my face and leave my guests utterly gobsmacked that audio can be this good.

When I bought my first set other owners congratulated me, then warned me I had started on what would be an endless path of upgrading my amps, preamps and turntables... and that couldn‘t have proven more true. I‘ve gone from entry-level to top-end Emotiva, to a McIntosh MC2155, Sonic Frontiers SFS 80, to an MC7300, to the Pass Amp, following a similar path of preamps, and a couple of turntable upgrades. Both the SPi’s and mini monitors have chewed up the upgrades and spit out VERY noticeable improvements in sound at each step. I will not go further up the ladder than the Pass XA30.8 for a good long while because I have a hard time believing further improvement would be supported by the cost required to make it, so I’m trying a new set of PBN’s in order to hear a different design style... chasing their limitations has literally become a hobby. I can offer no higher praise than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom