• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PBN Audio M2!5

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like JBL are letting other manufacturers use parts from the M2 now.

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/m2-5-loudspeaker

M2-5driversPAIR.jpg

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Nope, haven't seen any price yet.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Looks like the price will be 30k USD...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be an interesting alternative to the M2... more in line with Audiophile Orthodoxy: No built-in EQ or DSP.. easier choice of amps, even a passive crossover to make (some of) us happy. Would love to hear this speaker.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
More expensive and not as good, should sell to the audiophile crowd.
Keith

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Pretty intolerant around here lately...

Specs are impressive, but despite the name it looks like the drivers are not the same as in the M2 though they are JBL drivers. The horn looks similar to the M2's but the features list doesn't say anything about that, at least not that I could see after a quick read. Be interesting to hear from someone who can listen to both to see how they compare.

I would have moved the woofers a hair lower or increased the height an inch or so the top woofer doesn't overlap the horn. Wonder if they had to get it close for proper phase coherence? The FR is certainly pretty flat.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Why not just get a JBL 4367 for half the price, instead?

The specs are nearly identical: 94 vs 95 dB, 25 Hz vs 30 Hz.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
More expensive and not as good, should sell to the audiophile crowd.
Keith
They certainly don't look great, the wave guide over lapping the first driver like that..

But I'm guessing they will play loud and deal well with a modern musical program, still a step backwards even if they are using some of the advances JBL have made.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They certainly don't look great, the wave guide over lapping the first driver like that..

But I'm guessing they will play loud and deal well with a modern musical program, still a step backwards even if they are using some of the advances JBL have made.
Hard to say if this is a step backwards or not ... just looking at a Picture which may or may not be that of the final product... I am not saying it is the best or better than the M2 either ... Just an interesting take on SOTA drivers with a nod toward audiophile sensitivities.

12B4A

Speaking as someone who has never done a scratch build speaker project, they look like something I would do with that set of purchased components and my amateur understanding of speaker box techniques/tricks and limited woodworking capability. In other words, it seems like a hot mess of implementing trendy diyAudio message board technologies (btw, where's some hard data that demonstrates charge coupled xover benefit?). To pay someone $30k to do this is bonkers.

Also, I can eat the temples of my eyeglasses with more style than this:
peter.jpg

Peter B Noerbaek

Audio Company
Gentlemen

Be nice - really. The M2!5 is an excellent speaker, beyond dynamic with great tonality. The reason the upper woofer is underneath the M2 waveguide is to get it as close to the Compression driver as possible - the grille goes up underneath the lip on the horn. The woofers used are the JBL 2235H, the modern day offerings form JBL and others needs DSP to go LOW - its by purpose I used this vintage woofer. 12B4A - I doubt that :) And while your at it - lets see something that you actually have created.

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio
WWW.PBNAUDIO.COM

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Gentlemen

Be nice - really. The M2!5 is an excellent speaker, beyond dynamic with great tonality. The reason the upper woofer is underneath the M2 waveguide is to get it as close to the Compression driver as possible - the grille goes up underneath the lip on the horn. The woofers used are the JBL 2235H, the modern day offerings form JBL and others needs DSP to go LOW - its by purpose I used this vintage woofer. 12B4A - I doubt that :) And while your at it - lets see something that you actually have created.

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio
WWW.PBNAUDIO.COM

It's nice to hear directly from the maker.

How would you contrast the pros and cons of your M2!5 vs the JBL 4367 (which also uses M2-derived parts and is designed for home use)?

Peter B Noerbaek

Audio Company
The JBL4367 is a very nice speaker indeed - hear it at a couple of shows - the M2!5 because of its 2 ea 15" woofers obviously will play louder and have more impact. The D2430H (I couple the two diaphragms in parallel hence the "H") is an excellent driver it delivers an effortless presentation. The M2!5 is the product I arrived at - I'm extremely proud of it - if you get a chance to hear it don't pass it up I'm certain you'll be impressed.

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio
WWW.PBNAUDIO.COM

Peter B Noerbaek

Audio Company
12Ba4 - nice indeed - I meant something that you have actually designed then built in quantity - taken to market and sold world wide.

Like this for an example

http://pbnaudio.com/audio-components/audio-amplifiers/olympia-ebsa-3

Or this

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/montana-speakers/master-reference-loudspeakers

Or this

http://pbnaudio.com/audio-turntables/vintage-direct-professional/dn308

and here something a little more economical

http://www.libertyaudio.com/products/b2b-1-all-fet-phono-preamp

Your Build Guides are nice - I've made a few of them too

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/speaker-kits/scanspeak-b741

http://pbnaudio.com/speakers/speaker-kits/dayton-audio-xenia

Good Listening

Peter Noerbaek
PBN Audio

12B4A

12Ba4 - nice indeed - I meant something that you have actually designed then built in quantity - taken to market and sold world wide.

Nope. Is the silent point you're making that it somehow invalidates the substance of criticism? Perhaps so if you have customers for boxes.

Top Bottom