• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paul says you must lift speaker cables of the floor for better sound quality...

Newman

Major Contributor
I think that lying is a deliberate activity; you know that what you are saying is untrue and say it anyway. If a person truly believes in a false proposition and states that, is he lying, or just plain wrong?
Well, what a person “truly believes” is unknowable to third parties (this is called a known unknown), so it would be impossible to ever accuse anyone of lying, if the accuser has to prove the deliberateness of the false claim. Every blatant liar gets off the hook! They only have to say a second lie, “I truly believe it”, and walk away scot free.

So the accuser has to make a judgement call, if the goal is to identify liars, and that’s reasonable. Like so many things in life.

My view on that judgement call is that if a person is a professional in his or her domain, then he or she has a duty and obligation to fully inform oneself on the material and make statements that are categorically true. Subsequently, when they make statements that are categorically untrue, it is reasonable to accuse them of lying, because it is reasonable to assume that they know better because ‘professional ignoramus’ is an oxymoron.

cheers

clearnfc

This thread still around?? Lol....

yes, placing cables on the ground do have some impact (think of the copper wire, +ve, insulation being a medium and ground -ve, it now looks like a capacitor).

But you would need extremely sensitive equipment to measure this and I reckon the changes could be something like micro-volt which is way too small.

I would say things like temperature changes to voice coil would be a bigger factor than placing cables on the floor.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Bog standard;
75100695_586554878747364_1396394937100009472_n.jpg

Rollercoaster standard;
Cable%2BRisers.jpg

Facepalm standard;
02DxJ7v.jpg

:facepalm:

JSmith

Robin L

Master Contributor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is the formula for calculating weight of massively oversized ***** cable on various ports ?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have this
It works. It prevent my floor being stained by the poor PVC speaker cable that degrade in my tropical country. Look huge and nice. Shocking they don't cost hundreds each.
High tension transmission line use ceramic as isolator.
Then again you're not very reliable.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, what a person “truly believes” is unknowable to third parties (this is called a known unknown), so it would be impossible to ever accuse anyone of lying, if the accuser has to prove the deliberateness of the false claim. Every blatant liar gets off the hook! They only have to say a second lie, “I truly believe it”, and walk away scot free.

So the accuser has to make a judgement call, if the goal is to identify liars, and that’s reasonable. Like so many things in life.

My view on that judgement call is that if a person is a professional in his or her domain, then he or she has a duty and obligation to fully inform oneself on the material and make statements that are categorically true. Subsequently, when they make statements that are categorically untrue, it is reasonable to accuse them of lying, because it is reasonable to assume that they know better because ‘professional ignoramus’ is an oxymoron.

cheers
First, "professional ignoramus" is not an oxymoron. One can be both a professional and an ignoramus. And in many fields, it is simply impossible to remain current on all the research and conversant in it. If you want to read published research and literature in many scientific fields, you face thousands of published articles and reports on applied research in almost every serious field., on a monthly basis. As an example, I recently accessed an article on authoritariansim from one journal. Since then, this single journal has emailed me daily on new articles in the field, and that's one journal. Each of these articles contains results from testing, and each of them reaches slightly different to wildly different conclusions on similar questions. "Fully informing" oneself in many fields is a barely possible task which leaves little time for anything else and still you will find articles that massively contradict other articles in the same field.

Second, the fact that many people in audio believe things that are demonstrably untrue only means they are demonstrably untrue in your opinion. If someone says that audio measurements don't measure everything, then prove them wrong (an impossible task). I happen to think these people are fools, but that doesn't mean I can prove it, and it certainly doesn't mean they are liars.

This is important, if annoying, because to each of us, certain things are true and others aren't, and that's how we determine whom we listen to and whom we don't.

Ultimately, it is a simple fact that we can't disprove the statement that what we use for measurements is incomplete and/or inadequate. If you think about it, you know that's true. But some people, even trained professionals, leap to the conclusion that they're lying. And that's often wrong, absent other proof. People, including myself, often jump all over such people and roll our eyes. Which is fine. But we better have more evidence than that to accuse someone of lying. Lying means saying something is true that you know isn't true. But if you believe that it is true, it's not lying.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First, "professional ignoramus" is not an oxymoron. One can be both a professional and an ignoramus. And in many fields, it is simply impossible to remain current on all the research and conversant in it. If you want to read published research and literature in many scientific fields, you face thousands of published articles and reports on applied research in almost every serious field., on a monthly basis.
There is a difference between just not being up-to-date, and actively ignoring what is given to you.
Second, the fact that many people in audio believe things that are demonstrably untrue only means they are demonstrably untrue in your opinion.
Something is either true or not (or not definable). Personal opinion has no bearing on that.
If someone says that audio measurements don't measure everything, then prove them wrong (an impossible task). I happen to think these people are fools, but that doesn't mean I can prove it, and it certainly doesn't mean they are liars.
Things that can't be proven cannot be true nor false obviously. But many other claims that people believe in can, so let's focus on those.

Newman

Major Contributor
First, "professional ignoramus" is not an oxymoron. One can be both a professional and an ignoramus. And in many fields, it is simply impossible to remain current on all the research and conversant in it.
Don't misdirect my words. I said a professional has a duty and obligation to know the material that they choose to make statements about. Not to know everything there is to know about a field. And if they make categorically untrue statements in their field, that's unprofessional. Hence the oxymoron.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
So if a person says something to me thats untrue but believes it, he's not lying? What difference does his belief mean to me. (especially when you can't refute as in these videos). Nothing, I'm still getting a lie. And when someone has a large following and is assumed by that following to be an expert and right most of the time, it matters even less that he beliefs his lies. And when that someone makes money on his lies I feel the need to say something short and to the point. He's a liar.

Digby

Major Contributor
So if a person says something to me thats untrue but believes it, he's not lying? What difference does his belief mean to me. (especially when you can't refute as in these videos).
It is only a lie, if he himself knows it is untrue. His belief makes the difference between a lie and unknowingly stating something incorrect.

Top Bottom