• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paul McGowan on connecting up subs - BS?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If an amp has a sound, it is unlikely that it is audible in the very low frequencies that the sub plays. And since the sub has a class-d amp, if it has a signature, that would override any signature in the main amp. In other words, his listening tests are unreliable if that is what he is observing.

vert

Forum Donor
I tried both connexion modes and prefer line level. In high level mode I had no options for bass management except from the sub in addition to no room EQ from the then stereo amp. Paul mentioned he shares that opinion with a colleague at REL.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will have to have a significant signature for you to notice it in the range below 80Hz.

It's not hifi, that's just Audiophile bs.

In case it wasn't clear: I wasn't trying to make a case specifically for how the REL subs are deployed. I was only responding to what I took to be your general question of why anyone would want an amp with a sound quality signature.

(Btw, one of my very old old tube amps, the Eico HF-81 14W integrated, certainly seems to have a substantial sonic signature in the bass. Seems to bloat the bass in a way that leaves an impression of "bigger, deeper" bass. When I use it on smaller stand mounted speakers, it makes them sound even bigger. The amp measured pretty wacky in the stereophile tests, but I friggin' love the way this amp makes my speakers sound. Maybe not an audio destination, but a really fun place to visit!).

Top Bottom