• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Patreon Donations for Audio Hardware Review and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some considerations:

For listening and/or mixing/ recording use?

Can performance be related to brand,

or particular chip/s,

or interface compatibility, enabling some performance predictability?

Are 'boutique' versions generally overpriced and can be ignored unless they offer desirable features not generally found elsewhere?
Expanding into recording gear is one of my main motivations for getting additional funding. That is another unserved market.

To make the dollars go far though, I have decided to only go after reasonably priced items. Buying multi-thousand dollar items as I have with Exasound DAC is tough to do on regular basis. So to the extent you are asking about pro products that are in a few hundred dollar range and we have the funds, then yes, for sure I will be testing those products. So boutique products are OK as long as they don't break the bank. :)

On chips, in the context of an audio product, yes. As bare components to test that becomes an engineering DIY thing that is outside of the scope of our charter today.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You have a member

tomelex

Forum Donor
Thank you so much. Let me know if you like your banner. I was lacking creativity to name it. :)

That was fast Amir, my vote would be that it is understated and elegant like me...ahahhah, however, I think it should say patreon donor and if you can make it link to your patreon account if clicked that would be even better. I am very interested in the members opinions on this banner.

tomelex

Forum Donor
There is no ability to link it to anything. But the text is easily changed. I like changing it to Patreon Donor. I will go ahead and do that.

I like it!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@amirm rather than give away 10% to some corporate behemoth ( not not you after too much kebab, the Patreon dudes) would it not be more advantageous to ask for volunteers to polish your crown ( do you like mine by the way?) and dig your garden over , we all know ( apart from @tomelex ) that’s what your going to spend the money on...

My I suggest in true regal fashion you have a tapestry made chronicling your rises , fall and rise again ? This might require funds unless we have the required skill set in house ? ( on the forum , not your long suffering mrs whom I’m sure is capable of the task but she does enough already )

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As much as I like to revive Monarchy in US Thomas, I am getting too much resistance from folks around here. Used to be that digging the king's grounds was an honorable thing. No more. Folks rather work at McDonald's.

Now I could cut back on Wagyu beef and have it every other day. But not sure if the servants appreciate the major sacrifice that represents.

So we are back to taxation. And no representation.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hmmm... Never heard of Patreon. I understand the desire to deal with just one source, less work and headache, but I have zero desire to hand another 'net site my card for a monthly donation. I am already on my third or fourth round of massive data breach and ID theft in three years and have become more strict about online stuff. I know nothing about Patreon so idea how nervous to be but agree that I would rather have a way to support via PayPal or just write a check to the site. Of course, our area was hit with a check washing scheme a couple of years ago, amazing how resourceful scumbags can be about everything except making an honest living.

Amir, is ASR registered as a business, does it have a bank account (even if a sole proprietorship -- that is how I ran a consulting business, using my personal bank account at first then my bank set up a business account tied to my personal account to make it easier to separate the money)?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That was fast Amir, my vote would be that it is understated and elegant like me...ahahhah, however, I think it should say patreon donor and if you can make it link to your patreon account if clicked that would be even better. I am very interested in the members opinions on this banner.

As much as I'd like to support the site, I don't want to lose my Beer Hero title.

Maybe something a little more low key?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Don. Patreon does its credit card clearing through Paypal and Stripe. They are just a customer service company in the middle. So your data security is that of Paypal and Stripe.

ASR is an LLC and I can set up an account for it (which Paypal requires). I just thought we get started with Patreon and later I can set up direct account with PayPal.

BTW, Patreon is now funded to the tune of $160 million of VC funds or some such thing!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As much as I'd like to support the site, I don't want to lose my Beer Hero title.
You won't lose your current title. You just gain another one like I have.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
It is your website, you do what you decide to do...I'm just a guest passing through.
I too worked for my expertise, I get paid for it, some people think I work for free, they think they can use my services for free.

I'm not @ work here, I'm on vacation...for pleasure. This is my hobby for fun.
I understand.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OK, thanks Amir, let me think on it. Wiped out after our younger son's graduation, two long (LONG) days of moving him out of his apartment and back home (until he finds a job), and three performances all in the same weekend. And every time I think about the whole ID theft business I just get more PO'd. Costing us a lot, and most pundits think the worst is yet to come as the thieves exploit our info in other ways. And by "us" and "our" I mean myself and my family; it has been an ugly couple of years. Not to mention (though I shall) the thieves stealing packages off porches and out of mailboxes these days... The loss of morals and ethics (including a work ethic) is depressing.

Geez, cranky old man tonight, going to bed... - Don

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
As much as I like to revive Monarchy in US Thomas, I am getting too much resistance from folks around here. Used to be that digging the king's grounds was an honorable thing. No more. Folks rather work at McDonald's.

Now I could cut back on Wagyu beef and have it every other day. But not sure if the servants appreciate the major sacrifice that represents.

So we are back to taxation. And no representation.
America has really gone down the shitter since you kicked us out.... if you’d like I can fill the role of chancellor, there’s plenty of inspiration to be gained from medieval England in terms of motivating the peasants to pay their dues.

Either way the crown will be serviced!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
All nonsense to one side, the issue I have with Patreon and maybe it’s a cultural one is it’s monthly when I’d rather give a one off payment when I feel inclined ( that should be a option).

Iv had this same issue with a boxing journalist, he gives excellent written and video content and uses Patreon but it’s all monthly when I’d rather bung him $$$ every now and then when Iv had a good month.

Maybe I’m just a commitment phob but I don’t like the monthly requirement and I’m certain I’m not the only one.

Top Bottom