• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Patreon Donations for Audio Hardware Review and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir,
Just donated via PayPal...(tony N). Great job here, and always enjoyed your writing from the AVS...Keep up the good fight
Thank you very much. There is a bug in that Paypal doesn't confirm the donation so the forum software doesn't know to upgrade your title. I fixed that manually.

Everyone, if you donate on the forum and your title is not changed, please let me know so I can do so manually.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Considering he actually uses them to get equipment for measurement and not just to buy steaks! Definitely :p
What you saying? I should not eat? It is not my fault that I have good/expensive taste in food.....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I did donate again, of course, but it's not showing me as a donor.
Sorry about that. There is a bug in paypal where it doesn't call the system saying payment was made sometimes. This causes the title to not be upgraded. I did not manually for you. Thank you very much.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry about that. There is a bug in paypal where it doesn't call the system saying payment was made sometimes. This causes the title to not be upgraded. I did not manually for you. Thank you very much.
My pleasure, and thank you very much for re-tagging me!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I donated through the upgrade link and PayPal. After the recent attacks on Amirm it became more important to me to do so. (But I probably would have done it eventually anyway)
It is important to support the good work being done here. After all Amir isn't charging people for reviews and he endures insane levels of criticism whenever he happens to stumble upon some horrible scam product... All the owners/fans want to kill the messenger.

Wombat

Master Contributor
A dedicated Paypal account may take a commission but ease of use should make it worthwhile re spontaneous giving. I would use it. It is the only online payment method I use, for various reasons. No Paypal button, no deal.

Personal Fundraising.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes I also only use PayPal. That is how I have donated both times.

By arrangement and account details provided. Not by Paypal 'button' convenience?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
By arrangement and account details provided. Not by Paypal 'button' convenience?
If you use the account upgrade method, it will use paypal with fixed dollar amounts. If you want to donate a different amount, contact me and I will provide the paypal account. The account upgrade is a quick process.

laidick

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir for all your work here.
I learnt a lot since I joined this forum.
I just wanted to show my appreciation to be a supporter here, hope it helps.

mdunjic

Hello everyone. A cornerstone of our forum is measurements of audio gear. It is where audio science meets engineering. I have enjoyed making these measurements as they are kind of like a reality show: I never know what the outcome is until that graph materializes on my computer screen.

As you all know, I have been funding purchase of this gear out of my own pocket. I don't mind doing that but there is this massive explosion of products out there, even if we limit it to DACs and headphone amps. Yet there is next to zero objective data on vast majority of them. Over time, it would be good to measure them all. For that, my personal funds are not going to make this happen.

I have thought about different ways of making this work. I tried asking for review equipment but quickly felt like an insurance salesman pleading for equipment at the last audio show. And worse yet, what to do if I get the gear and it doesn't review well. Likewise, I can set up Amazon associate links where I would get a small percentage if folks buy the product. Problem with that is that one can be accused of saying good things to drive such sales. Indeed I have seen some sites/youtube channels being consumed with promotion of such links, putting in doubt what they have to say about the product.

That brings us to last option: donations. I can set up paypal account but the most common method online seems to be Patreon. They are kind of greedy in that when it is all said and done, one loses 10% of the donations to fees and their cut. On the other hand they seem to be a trusted brand unlike their competitors who may not stick around. And many people already are donating to it so it is easy for them to add more "content creators."

So I thought I give that a try. I created a quick account to see how it goes. Here is the link: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview

Your donations there go to general funding of the work I do here. I have nothing exclusive to provide to donors other than the pride that they are helping this effort for the general good of everyone.

If you do decide to donate, please go above $1 if you can as that incurs the highest expenses relative to amount donated.

Feel free to give me feedback on any and all of this.

19b4d12acf493bee63d0aa7bdd573c6e.jpg
Just did donate $50 USD via PayPal … happy holidays from Canada and keep up the great work!

1640565347316.jpeg

Top Bottom