• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Patreon Donations for Audio Hardware Review and Measurements

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I want to ship in. How much is a sensible amount for one user reading the occasional review, approximately?
I prefer paypal.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I want to ship in. How much is a sensible amount for one user reading the occasional review, approximately?

When I purchase a Phono pre-amp based on the ASR tests I will contribute 5% of the purchase price or 20% of what I saved in not buying something more expensive, whichever is the greater amount. Until the focus on DACs is changed I can't see me paying out. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When I purchase a Phono pre-amp based on the ASR tests I will contribute 5% of the purchase price or 20% of what I saved in not buying something more expensive, whichever is the greater amount. Until the focus on DACs is changed I can't see me paying out. ;)
Ronnie Milsap - Lost In The 50s Tonight

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
amirm what about amazon referrals? You can get 3% on each transaction made with your referal link.
I have considered that. The problem is that it can create the illusion of conflict of interest by promoting products with that commission. Ideally then, the site would run on donations so that we don't have to do that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I prefer paypal.
There are no rules here. Just let your heart guide you. Any amount is appreciated to offset the costs of reviewing gear.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I have considered that. The problem is that it can create the illusion of conflict of interest by promoting products with that commission. Ideally then, the site would run on donations so that we don't have to do that.
You/we are mentioned in at least one of the Amazon topping reviews.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe Audiosciencereview could try ordinary crowdfunding (from an ordinary crowdfunding site). Just a thought that came to my mind some days ago. Maybe it is unrealistic or otherwise not possible.

Maybe a specific product could be funded (donated) by members here who want to fund it for a review, and that the product is sent to a lucky winner after the reivew. The selection of the winner could be done randomly by weighting the amount of donation from each donator.
So say if I donated $20 for Amir to review a product costing $660 (of which $60 is the cost of postage ($30 for postage to Amir and $30 to the winner)), then my chance of winning is 3.03% = $20/$660.
It is probably to much hassle with this, though (choosing a product, collecting and waiting for enough donation, etc.)
This was my original idea when I started the forum but it did not work out. At least it didn't with our small membership then.

I think something like this is necessary to test expensive products. For budget products getting them on loan seems to work 80% of time.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A way is (maybe several of us can contribute to that) that manufacturers are encouraged to send their product(s) for review,
and we (that is, ordinary Audiosciencereview members) contribute in the ordinary way.
This is very powerful and the reason I have been suggesting it. I have already had a few contacts from manufacturers offering products for review because of such outreach. The more people ask for measurements, the better this will work.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is very powerful and the reason I have been suggesting it. I have already had a few contacts from manufacturers offering products for review because of such outreach. The more people ask for measurements, the better this will work.
I will be interesting to see how many try to leverage the outcome, that is if you are straight with us and pass along the info. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I will be interesting to see how many try to leverage the outcome, that is if you are straight with us and pass along the info. ;)
Straight with you Sal? Not going to happen.....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Keltere

You can make a refferal of amazon daily offering page and it will work for all products in the cart. No specific product promotion and a good way to get donations.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Signed up through Patreon today with a modest monthly donation. I appreciate your efforts, Amir, and just as much the community of forum contributors you host here. The (almost) unfailing civility of the members here, and their obvious passion for the art and science of audio, has helped make this hobby fun for me again. My goal is to increase my understanding of the science of audio reproduction as a way to enjoy even more the magic that is music. This place has become an invaluable resource. Ars longa, vita brevis.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Signed up through Patreon today with a modest monthly donation. I appreciate your efforts, Amir, and just as much the community of forum contributors you host here. The (almost) unfailing civility of the members here, and their obvious passion for the art and science of audio, has helped make this hobby fun for me again. My goal is to increase my understanding of the science of audio reproduction as a way to enjoy even more the magic that is music. This place has become an invaluable resource. Ars longa, vita brevis.
Those are very kind works you are speaking there. :) Thank you so much for that, and the donation. I updated your title to reflect the same.

Top Bottom