• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive stereo XLR A/B switch

I've not measured it, but to my ears there appears to be a minor degree of attenuation when run through the little bear, though it could just be perceptual. I imagine that could be from an impedance mismatch.

I'm sorry, brand new and this seems exactly what I want. I would like to be able to switch dacs and amps at will with out unplugging. I know adding anything into the signal path will effect it. How big of effect is this? Can it be fixed in the switch?

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
I'm sorry, brand new and this seems exactly what I want. I would like to be able to switch dacs and amps at will with out unplugging. I know adding anything into the signal path will effect it. How big of effect is this? Can it be fixed in the switch?

I honestly believe it's just my imagination but it was worth mentioning. I haven't done a side by side comparison. I just noticed after I moved my setup and added the little bear that I was turning my headphones up a bit louder than I usually defaulted to.

I'm back home with my family for Christmas but when I get back to my place I can try and test it objectively, but I think it's at most a decibel of difference if there is any at all.

It's definitely the best balanced switch box I've seen and used. A neat feature is that it does balanced-> unbalanced conversion in both directions, so you can use a single ended DAC and get some of the noise/hum suppression of balanced if you have a balanced input amp. It ties together all your audio equipment easily due to this.

mcgo

I recently hooked up a Nobsound Little Bear MC3 and I’m very happy with it! I wanted to go balanced on my Violectric V280 while still retaining compatibility with legacy single ended RCA equipment. The V280 is the cost reduced V281 and as such it has no input select. I was also looking for Neutrik connectors and good build quality. I paired it with Kopul 4000 cables which also use Neutrik. Yes, I like Neutrik. :)

Enjoy my potato picture.

AE614EB2-D3D5-4EAF-A48A-23FFF1F7BBFB.jpeg

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

These boxes will compromise quality. I wouldnt do this. I have m patch. Cheap components (even prizier) will blur the image enough to render your new dac purchase useless. Hardcore hifiman goes straight from dac to headamp or an amp. My 2 cents.

Sg86

These boxes will compromise quality. I wouldnt do this. I have m patch. Cheap components (even prizier) will blur the image enough to render your new dac purchase useless. Hardcore hifiman goes straight from dac to headamp or an amp. My 2 cents.

How do you suggest one does that if they also use the speakers for HT?

Oukkidoukki

What is HT? Well, all I can say is I heard little difference in sound image when going thru m patch. It was bit sharper when i went from dac straight to studio monitors. If it doesnt bother you go ahead, maybe these other boxes are totally transparent, dont know.

Sg86

What is HT? Well, all I can say is I heard little difference in sound image when going thru m patch. It was bit sharper when i went from dac straight to studio monitors. If it doesnt bother you go ahead, maybe these other boxes are totally transparent, dont know.

Home theatre.

It does bother me, I am just buying a custom Apollon audio Amp, Yamaha cx-5200 already here, and M400 DAC going to KEF R7s in the end. I need therefore to switch the fronts and this switch was the only way to do it that i'm aware of!

If you have better idea i'm 100% for it.

Oukkidoukki

Okey, that looks really good! Maybe it is transparent. Sound on sound review said sm pro audio m patch 2 was transparent too, but it wasnt.....maybe amirm can test that one day. Guy is a one hell of a tester. :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Okey, that looks really good! Maybe it is transparent. Sound on sound review said sm pro audio m patch 2 was transparent too, but it wasnt.....maybe amirm can test that one day. Guy is a one hell of a tester. :)
The SM may be passive but it is complex with several switches and a volume control. The Nobsound is just a switch. Much simpler.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it is transparent.:)
Not, maybe. It’s measurable transparent as is the ARX rs-1 if you want automatic trigger controlled switching.

dartinbout

I got one of these in the recent Aliexpress sales:
View attachment 17624View attachment 17625

3 in 3 out. The most interesting part about this unit is that it does balanced to unbalanced conversion, in both directions. It's also a bit unique in that it also allows multiple balanced inputs.

ONE Little Bear MC3
I love mine. I've connected 2 DAC's and switch those between a Stax KGST and my Emotiva pre-amp. I'm trying to find the same thing a 4 in 4 out. Anybody seen one?

Top Bottom