• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive stereo XLR A/B switch

esm

Forum Donor
So, I'm looking for this: a box with one stereo XLR input, two stereo XLR outputs, and a passive switch between them. I don't need a volume control (like this guy), but it could be a nice-to-have.

sw2x_rps_3.jpg
sa2x_ang8.jpg

The Goldpoint units are very nicely constructed (that house-made stepped attenuator looks lovely), but I'm struggling with spending more for a passive switch than the DAC or amp I'd plug it into.

I've trolled around ebay/aliexpress in hopes of finding something; usually I have pretty good luck with this sort of thing there, but alas, nothing has popped up (I've found a couple of larger switches with a lot more inputs/outputs, or strange front/back cabling arrangements, but this is for desktop use). So, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any leads before I buy a project box and make one myself. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
I think that is backwards from his needs Ray. He is asking for one in two out. That unit is three in and one out. I actually think an active solution is easier to find.

Three XLR male to female adapters would fix that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Splitters. Are any of them switchers, too?

Last edited:
OP
esm

esm

Forum Donor
Yeah, unfortunately I'm looking for a switch, for desktop use in a fairly tight space. (So, small footprint, cables in the back/controls in the front.)

Oh hey, this looks interesting! It's not pretty, but the footprint is plenty small, and there's a lot more features packed into this than I was expecting (an optional active headphone amp?!). And $130 is a lot more in line with what I was expecting.
mpatch2_front_r.jpg
mpatch2_back_r.jpg

Looks like the history here is that this used to be an SM Pro Audio product, then Harman (who owns JBL) acquired them in 2015 and rebranded it under their JBL professional lineup? Not sure how I missed this before.

nefilim

Don't have anything useful to add but I'm using the Goldpoint switch (unbalanced) to share my subs between 2ch and home theater systems. Agreed, the price is steep but It's very nicely made, works a treat - and local for us Bay Area folks :)

OP
esm

esm

Forum Donor
So, reporting back a little bit late, but as mentioned over here, there was a great deal on this that brought the price from $130 down to $60, which made it impossible for me to pass up.

@mi-fu noticed a problem with the one they received; one of the inputs was apparently damaged, and resulted in audible distortion.

Mine arrived in what appeared to be perfect condition; I finally got around to hooking it up today, and everything seems to work fine. No audible distortion, and while it looks like a Christmas tree when powered thanks to all the colored LEDs, it seems perfectly functional both in active and passive mode. That said, I haven't listened to the built-in headphone amp; that's not really what I bought it for, and I just assume it's probably terrible. ;) I was not expecting to use the volume controls, but they've turned out to be more handy than I expected, and being able to switch easily between the balanced and unbalanced inputs means I can use this in a lot of places where passively routing signals around would be useful.

Right now, I'm feeding a Topping DX7s balanced output into the M-Patch 2, and balanced outputs from it to a Massdrop THX AAA 789 headphone amp on one side, and a JBL LSR310S into 2x JBL 305P MkII on the other. I seem to be collecting a lot of JBL gear. :D

All this said, I'd still love to get my hands on one of those goldpoint boxes, if only because their stepped attenuators are gorgeous, but oh-my-god-that-price.

@amirm, if you're at all interested in looking at it, I'd be happy to toss it back in its box and send it your way at some point. Shame the price bumped right back up to $130 after that sale; I have no idea why B&H was bombing them out so cheaply, but I'm pretty happy with the features so far.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, reporting back a little bit late, but as mentioned over here, there was a great deal on this that brought the price from $130 down to $60, which made it impossible for me to pass up.

@mi-fu noticed a problem with the one they received; one of the inputs was apparently damaged, and resulted in audible distortion.

Mine arrived in what appeared to be perfect condition; I finally got around to hooking it up today, and everything seems to work fine. No audible distortion, and while it looks like a Christmas tree when powered thanks to all the colored LEDs, it seems perfectly functional both in active and passive mode. That said, I haven't listened to the built-in headphone amp; that's not really what I bought it for, and I just assume it's probably terrible. ;) I was not expecting to use the volume controls, but they've turned out to be more handy than I expected, and being able to switch easily between the balanced and unbalanced inputs means I can use this in a lot of places where passively routing signals around would be useful.

Right now, I'm feeding a Topping DX7s balanced output into the M-Patch 2, and balanced outputs from it to a Massdrop THX AAA 789 headphone amp on one side, and a JBL LSR310S into 2x JBL 305P MkII on the other. I seem to be collecting a lot of JBL gear. :D

All this said, I'd still love to get my hands on one of those goldpoint boxes, if only because their stepped attenuators are gorgeous, but oh-my-god-that-price.

@amirm, if you're at all interested in looking at it, I'd be happy to toss it back in its box and send it your way at some point. Shame the price bumped right back up to $130 after that sale; I have no idea why B&H was bombing them out so cheaply, but I'm pretty happy with the features so far.

Thanks for the write-up and glad to hear that yours works great!

I'd love to see the measurement of it as well. Hopefully the price will go down again, because now I really need it as I just bought a THX 789 too. Then I can grab one! :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, if you're at all interested in looking at it, I'd be happy to toss it back in its box and send it your way at some point.
Sure, would be good to test it at some point.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...The switch is sure hard enough to find though...

Using multipole mains rated toggles is not a good idea for audio.

Do it with (inert gas filled low signal) relays and you can have any combination you want and much better performance, channel separation etc.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
3 in 3 out. The most interesting part about this unit is that it does balanced to unbalanced conversion, in both directions. It's also a bit unique in that it also allows multiple balanced inputs.

If it's done properly, it looks like a sweet little switch box.

It actually reminds me of the Naim look from the 1980's..

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
How is that working out? I would like something like this

One of the knobs isn't centred properly (15° off or so), but otherwise I'm impressed. The casework is a bit cheap but the dial feel is great, it switches without pops or drops, and the connectors are genuine neutrik and feel the part.

I've not measured it, but to my ears there appears to be a minor degree of attenuation when run through the little bear, though it could just be perceptual. I imagine that could be from an impedance mismatch.

Top Bottom