• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive speakers with Topping PA5

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
is there a reputable store i can get the Hypex NCore NC122MP for the price you mentioned?
Buckeye Amps doesn’t sell NC122mp, which would have been my 1st recommendation if you’re in the US/Canada. The quality of his builds is superb.
Update: I forgot that for US$570 (aka 14% more) you can buy NC252MP from Buckeye https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/hypex-nc252mp-amplifier-2-channel

VTV has the stereo amp for US$500
I’m not promoting VTV, but just letting you know that it’s available for this price. It’s up to you to do your own research before buying.

If you’re in Europe, audiophonics.fr is usually the first place people check, besides the other reputable manufacturers.

Last edited:

SlamTaz

Thanks, will check out vtv. I have not heard of this store before so I really need to do a bit more research

Bleib

Major Contributor
Based on all your recommendations, my choice is narrowed down to:
- SMSL A300
- SMSL SU-9N or Topping DX3 Pro+
- ELAC DBR62

I still don’t know which of the SMSL SU9N or the Topping DX3 Pro+ is better for this configuration.
I'd take the SMSL C200 as a DAC.

Also, if it's not needed to buy an amp directly then perhaps wait for Topping PA7, its release cannot be far away.

SlamTaz

Thanks, will check out vtv. I have not heard of this store before so I really need to do a bit more research
Buckeye Amps doesn’t sell NC122mp, which would have been my 1st recommendation if you’re in the US/Canada. The quality of his builds is superb.
Update: I forgot that for US$570 (aka 14% more) you can buy NC252MP from Buckeye https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/hypex-nc252mp-amplifier-2-channel

VTV has the stereo amp for US$500
I’m not promoting VTV, but just letting you know that it’s available for this price. It’s up to you to do your own research before buying.

If you’re in Europe, audiophonics.fr is usually the first place people check, besides the other reputable manufacturers.
Yikes, scary VTV experiences noted within ASR alone. For now, especially that the $$$ I plan to spend is very hard earned, I think I'm gonna stay away from VTV.

ampguy

PA5 can’t be beat, imho. Use balanced ins only, I use a d6 Smsl or ares ii dac, but even a low end focus rite has trs balanced outs. Med to high efficiency speakers if you listen loud, I have Tektons, Jbl 530s, kef q150s, ls50s, infinity r162, most have been reviewed here or elsewhere, rel subs are good if you like low end as some of those bookshelf models start tapering off below 60 Hz or so, very room dependent

Top Bottom