• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

passive speakers for desktop

bambl9

hey guys,
looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my desktop.
first I should add that I had the LS50w,a little backstory about them:
ordered them used and got a bargain for them. after a few months of using they started making crackling sound. got them to my local dealer and they replaced the board for around $1000. a few months after that (1 week ago) the crackling sound came back worse. at this point I decided to get new ones.

one important thing you should know I am not very knowledgeable on the technicalities of speakers and frankly don't care so I am only asking because I don't want to throw some money on a pair just to end up sounding like crap because I bought the wrong speakers for my listening setting. I just want a good pair that I can enjoy everyday while I'm on my PC. the LS50W were good enough for me.

now after lots of researching to see which type of speakers that is suitable for me I am still confused so I really need your help.
first, the problem is I find it many hobbyist audiophiles or professionals can't agree on something, which makes it even more difficult to narrow down the my search for the perfect speakers.
for example, some are saying for near field settings you should get really small speakers like ones with woofers no bigger than 5 inches, while are others are saying size of the woofer do not matter that much related to the distance.
more important thing I have found out is that for a desktop set up, you should look for narrow dispersion speakers. how the hell can I know which speakers have narrow or wide dispersion? what should like I look at in speakers specs?
so things like these make it tiring to decide on which ones to get.

information for my search:
listening room area:
-room size: 17.2 m2.
-desk is placed in the corner of the room against the wall.
-speakers distance away from the wall: ~10 inches
-speakers distance from listening position: 25 inches

budget: $2000

usage: music, gaming and youtube (mostly music).
music genre: jazz and hip hop.

so my questions are:
1-since the speakers are going to be placed on a desktop near me, should the room size be taken into consideration?
2-is narrow or wide dispersion important in speakers?
3-reccomended speaker or woofer size?
4-front or rear ported? since they will be near the wall?

Antz123

This is a good place to start

marek

This is a good place to start
would you sat every such active speaker will fit the desktop use case? I am actually thinking about getting a pair of Buchardt A500 for my desktop, but wondering if they won't be to big and simply made for listening from greater discances than say <1 meter (and usually placed right at the wall, since this is how the desktops are placed too).

Thanks!

Antz123

would you sat every such active speaker will fit the desktop use case? I am actually thinking about getting a pair of Buchardt A500 for my desktop, but wondering if they won't be to big and simply made for listening from greater discances than say <1 meter (and usually placed right at the wall, since this is how the desktops are placed too).

Thanks!
Another great thing I found here was this

You can put in dimensions and see in your space which speaker fits and how. This helped me a lot as most speakers needed a lot of Depth that I could not provide.

erniek

I would stay with the LS50's. They are excellent desktop speakers but you need power to drive them.I use an Emotiva 150w amp on the desktop with a Topping dac and am very impressed how good they sound 3 feet from my ears.They do need to be a bit away from the wall though.

bunnyfuzz

Tozzi Two

tozzi2_silver.jpg

200 x 126 x 200 mm

djw.cloud

I have these. I like my Mark Audio DIY build better, but these with the help of some EQ and a sub sound more enjoyable then my Genelec 8020d and sub for certain types of music.

My Mark Audio DIY
20160127_174504000_iOS.jpg
20160127_174539000_iOS.jpg

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After several deceptions with my computer passive speakers upgrades, i finally got a pair of Focal Sib Evo 2.0
zel6.jpg

What a change in the sound: nice sound-stage and sound definition.
A class D amp is driving them and a small subwoofer.
Now I can start listening music with my computer.

Top Bottom