• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive speakers <$500/pair

vert

Forum Donor
If you're "not far from France", you're obviously in Europe, so I'd advise you to look at Teufel as well. To me they easily hold their own against the "usual suspects" on your list.
I've heard about them, but wasn't sure about quality. They do have a Swiss presence. As I don't speak German, sifting through machine translated reviews of lesser known German products, can take a long time. So thanks! I'll add them to the list.

vert

Forum Donor
How about getting a DAC with remote? That way you have wider choice of powered speakers.
Why not! SMSL has a new little DAC with remote that's caught my eye. My other DAC would be used instead in a combo for the Stax energizer. One more option, thank you for suggesting ;) Do volume controls on DACs work well though, just like a regular volume control?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do volume controls on DACs work well though, just like a regular volume control?
I plan to test them at some point but for now, I would say audibly they are fine. I use them that way all the time.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No fans of vintage speakers here? $500 goes a long way on the used market. Replacing capacitors, and foam surrounds is easy enough for most people. Tweeters issues are a bit more difficult, but replacing ferro fluid isn't hard, just got to be careful with delicate parts.

vert

Forum Donor
I wish to add to the list Paradigm's Atom Monitor v7 speakers, which I just got at a bargain price, a rare opportunity as those are largely unavailable where I live, Switzerland. I had never heard of the brand, and when they appeared on a local site at a discount, well below $500, I went to read some reviews and decided to take the chance. They sound incredible to me. I also think they look great and love their compactness. They are currently being replaced by Paradigm and bargains might be available elsewhere.

With the addition of the Atoms, I consider my little system, build in great part over the past few months, to be complete now, as it has reached the point of diminishing returns, or very close. It is as follows: PC (running Audirvana+)/ TV Box/ Bluray player into Audiophonics AK4495 DAC, into FXAudio 502S PRO, into high-level innput of Phonar AS180 subwoofer, speakers out of Phonar speaker outs.

As per Amir's recent measurements, the FXAudio probably is a weak link, but it sounds good enough to my ears and relative to my needs that I'm in no hurry to move it. I'll patiently wait until something cheap and better comes up. I also realize that for my needs, an FDA amp would have worked just as well and would simplify my setup. I may purchase one next year, a reasonably long time from now so my wife doesn't kick me out of the house.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wish to add to the list Paradigm's Atom Monitor v7 speakers, which I just got at a bargain price, a rare opportunity as those are largely unavailable where I live, Switzerland. I had never heard of the brand,
Paradigm as a company is a well respected Canadian based firm highly regarded for their research and development department. One of the top speaker design groups for many decades. I ran a room full of their Titan stand mounted speakers in my 5.2 surround system for about 15 years and loved them. Enjoy your new system!

Tunnelrat81

On the chance that anyone was considering the Elac B6's, they are currently 50% off at BB and amazon. I replaced my original B6's with this new front ported 2.0 version and I feel like they are an noticeable improvement all around. Can't beat the $150 price tag.

Tunnelrat81

I just recently learned about NHT speakers when I saw a pair of old SB1's show up on the local craigslist, and have read only good things about them. I was really tempted to get the Super One's instead of the Elac B6, but I get the impression that the B6's are more likely to not require a sub than the NHT, and I don't have room for a sub. At their current sale price of $107 each ($214 pr.), they are cheaper than MSRP for the Elacs, but not nearly as cheap as the current Elac sale price.

I have no doubt that the NHT are a more accurate speaker in every way. All of the reviews I've seen have nothing but praise for them. I will definitely keep them in mind for future home theater needs. Plus, being from northern California myself, they feel like a local company.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I get the impression that the B6's are more likely to not require a sub than the NHT, and I don't have room for a sub.
There's only so much you can expect from a 6" woofer, and any amount of bass from around 50 hz down isn't one of their strengths.
A lot depends on the type of music you listen to and how loud you play it.
But again, you just can't expect much.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've owned the NHT Super One, super zero, SB1, and 1.3a. My super one/zero were the original versions, with the Fosters drivers. Asides from the super zero, all of them had adequate bass, assuming you used a powerful enough amplifier. I tried a single and dual chip tpa3116 with my super ones on a desk. Bass was lacking with the single chip, but more than adequate with the dual chip. The SB1 was surprising in how much bass you could get out of them with proper amplification, they're barely bigger than the super zero. The SB1 are fragile, I got them cheap because the PO knocked over the stands they were on. Both speakers cracked in their polymer baskets, one cracked right at the corner of crossover pcb. Both were able to be repaired with a little glue and solder.

As for Paradigm, I currently own a pair of Century 300i. Also another good bookshelf speaker. Surprisingly efficient, good highs, and very good bass. But the mids are lacking in clarity when compared to the rest of my collection.

Top Bottom