• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Speaker That Is Most Revealing Under 1000 USD

Transmaniacon

I think you want a nice flat response to get the sound you are after. A speaker that has a forward mid range might end up muddying some detail because it overpowers your lower treble. The same can happen with bass heavy speakers that bleed into the mid range frequencies. As mentioned earlier, the Polk R200 fits the bill very nicely.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We will just have to wait for someone to do a 'real' measurement for the Diamond 12.2s because until now, what we have around are only room measurements and they all show rather the same trend; flat with a slight bbc dip and rolled off from 17k. If you could point me the way to a klippel/anechoic meaurement that would be great because Im dying to see it myself. Ive searched for a very long time but I dont seem to find any. Maybe I missed it or they are in some other languages. Have you happened to come across any? But for now, crappy room measurements are all we have.
Can you do a quasi-anechoic measurement like the tutorial from napilopez's thread? If you have a decent Mic and can do room measurements with REW most people just need to purchase a $15 turntable (unless you're a serious baker) and then find just enough space for gated measurements. Reason I ask is not to make things difficult but so that you can correlate your likes and dislikes of the 12.2s with accurate measurements. Alternatively, have you owned or listened to speakers that you really enjoyed and do have spinorama or quasi-anarchic measurements, and can you say what they are? That would help folks provide input too.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Can you do a quasi-anechoic measurement like the tutorial from napilopez's thread? If you have a decent Mic and can do room measurements with REW most people just need to purchase a $15 turntable (unless you're a serious baker) and then find just enough space for gated measurements. Reason I ask is not to make things difficult but so that you can correlate your likes and dislikes of the 12.2s with accurate measurements. Alternatively, have you owned or listened to speakers that you really enjoyed and do have spinorama or quasi-anarchic measurements, and can you say what they are? That would help folks provide input too.

Cant do all that, although I own the OG LS50s and they are measured here. I quite like how it sounds with certain amps (which are costlier, which I dont own) but i find it too bright with certain amps that I own. I cant say they are extremely revealing though.

Examples of speakers I have heard that are extremely revealing are the KEF Reference 5, and 1, Xavian Orfeo and few others crazy priced speakers. Of course I do not own them but Ive heard them and I was gutted by how these speakers just reveal anything and everything with authority. I dont think they are boosted too, certainly not like how some Dynaudio and B&W speakers are. I know these speakers are not normally priced for mere mortals like me but other speakers in their price range and even costlier ones dont sound as 'revealing' to me.

Colonel7

If an amplifier is changing the tonality of your speakers, you need a new amplifier.
Maybe it's room treatments, placement or DSP if he's heard them with different amps elsewhere? Or were the amps switched at home?

Wolf

Or did he run an autocalibrate function and ruin what he did have?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cant do all that, although I own the OG LS50s and they are measured here. I quite like how it sounds with certain amps (which are costlier, which I dont own) but i find it too bright with certain amps that I own. I cant say they are extremely revealing though.

Examples of speakers I have heard that are extremely revealing are the KEF Reference 5, and 1, Xavian Orfeo and few others crazy priced speakers. Of course I do not own them but Ive heard them and I was gutted by how these speakers just reveal anything and everything with authority. I dont think they are boosted too, certainly not like how some Dynaudio and B&W speakers are. I know these speakers are not normally priced for mere mortals like me but other speakers in their price range and even costlier ones dont sound as 'revealing' to me.
On the KEF R3/R5 there is a broad elevation in the treble region coupled with narrow dispersion. You can see it in the CTA-2034 but also the estimated in-room response that is based on that. Notice how it doesn't slope down like it should.

For the dispersion, narrow results in fewer reflections which gives more clarity but often a smaller soundstage. I think those two attributes cause what you heard.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r3/
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r5/

dshreter

This is easy to answer, it's acoustic panels at your first reflections and bass traps for the corners of the room. Comes in right around $1000 and will make a much bigger difference than changing to any speaker that might have been discussed ;)

OP
M

MarkWinston

If an amplifier is changing the tonality of your speakers, you need a new amplifier.
Even my 4 year old daughter knows that but its easier said than done. Name me 2 budget amps below 600 700 bucks of the same price that has the exact same tonality. Ill wait for an answer and get both.

OP
M

MarkWinston

On the KEF R3/R5 there is a broad elevation in the treble region coupled with narrow dispersion. You can see it in the CTA-2034 but also the estimated in-room response that is based on that. Notice how it doesn't slope down like it should.

For the dispersion, narrow results in fewer reflections which gives more clarity but often a smaller soundstage. I think those two attributes cause what you heard.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r3/
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r5/
I didnt mean the R3 and R5, I meant the Reference 1 and Reference 5. Ive heard the R3s and they are not that revealing. Very very good sounding, but doesnt have that amount of detail i heard on the Reference 1 and 5. HUGE price difference though.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that you don't think the R3 is very revealing. The measurements certainly suggest that, and it's what others have said: at 9:35

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
Even my 4 year old daughter knows that but its easier said than done. Name me 2 budget amps below 600 700 bucks of the same price that has the exact same tonality. Ill wait for an answer and get both.
All competently designed solid-state amps sound the same when operated below clipping. Blind listening will confirm that for you, if you're willing to put in the effort to do it.

OP
M

MarkWinston

All competently designed solid-state amps sound the same when operated below clipping. Blind listening will confirm that for you, if you're willing to put in the effort to do it.
Done that MANY TIMES, even with a switcher. There will always be differences, nothing is perfect in this price range and differences come mainly from the pre/dac side. I have never come across 2 exact similiar sounding amps in a blind test at this price range. In fact Ive never come across any 2 integrated of any price thay sounds the same. If you do know of any 2 amps that sound EXACTLY the same, do let me know and Ill try to go give them a listen as there are still many B&Ms in my country and easy access to many well known brands.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Interesting that you don't think the R3 is very revealing. The measurements certainly suggest that, and it's what others have said: at 9:35

They are revealing to some extent in their category but nowhere near the Reference series even though they measure flatter in graphs. Ive even had the pleasure to listen to them side by side, the R3 and the Reference 1. A revelation. That got me wondering in the first place, how could a neutral speaker produce so much more micro details compared something that is boosted.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Interesting perspective. I thought I read that the Reference series was warmer. Was I dreaming?

More body, but at the same time way more capable of producing micro details throughout the entire spectrum. But still so damn neutral, it definitely doesnt sound anything like any flat studio monitor. Money can buy you happiness regardless what people say.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The ABX test is the death of poetry ( and the audiofile business) and tastings between connoisseurs.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Any test in which you have control over any of the elements is invalid. The protocols of ABX blind testing remove the subject's ability to "fool themself" into thinking they sense something that they don't.

The statement , " .... nothing is perfect in this price range ..." has nothing to do with the issue, because perfection is not the issue. The issue is whether the DUT performs at a level below the threshold of human perception.

The statement was made that all competently-designed amplifiers sound the same when operated below their threshold of clipping. Blind ABX tests have, to the best of my knowledge, confirmed that. If you can identify competently-designed amps in a blind ABX test, I'm sure there are many people in the scientific community who would show great interest in you.

Identification of a DUT in a test other than blind ABX is a red herring. Jim Taylor.
Jim, Im still waiting for you to name me 2 amps that sound exactly alike to test out. Then Ill arrange a blind abx test. Should be easy enough in my situation with many dealers ready to play. I would love to see, rather hear, 2 amps that sound exactly the same under clipping volumes. It would be a first to me.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Straw man. Jim
Since there are so many good integrateds out there, there shouldnt be a problem for you to name 2 exact sounding ones eh? Im will to test all those out under the set conditions of the abx blind test but Ill need 2 amps that sound exactly the same. I dont know of 2, you do.

Colonel7

Across a number of threads you've declared you've got golden ears and are constantly asking about amp and speaker pairings and synergy. You are also looking to replace speakers you've just bought. Part of the reason for this site is to avoid not only snake oil, but audio purchases always resulting in "the road not traveled" or "the next one to get away." Some people enjoy the constant switching, purchasing, and selling to get the elusive "perfect wave", or maybe just to experience how all of the different products sound and feel to them. If so that's cool but golden ears to many of us is a treadmill of disappointment. Because those who proclaim this need to realize the only way to pursue sound is to try out every product and combination themselves. Trusting measurements and correlating them with your preferences of sound will greatly reduce the universe of choices.

Top Bottom