• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

ADoIDo

Improvements:
The list changed A LOT since I looked at it last week. I'd imagine it very incomplete/work in progress?

I notice the T5V, Behringer and a few other speakers were removed from the list?

I'm not sure how this list can be useful for speaker shopping.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The list changed A LOT since I looked at it last week. I'd imagine it very incomplete/work in progress?

I notice the T5V, Behringer and a few other speakers were removed from the list?

Active or passive?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The list changed A LOT since I looked at it last week.
I wouldn't say it changed massively, since the only big change was I separated center channel speakers to two lists (one for 2-way and one for 3-way).

I'd imagine it very incomplete/work in progress?
As new reviews come out, I look at new speakers and add them to the list, if necessary.
So in that sense, it's always a work in progress.

It looks like you've mistaken active speakers with passive speakers.

Thanks for your opinion.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the work and effort @sweetchaos

As an owner of Revel F208, I’m glad to see it score so well against even higher priced offerings but am I reading it wrong or is the score 6.6 or 6.7 ?
I know it changed at one point due to some bass issue?
The alone score went up but the with sun went down. Any chance to incorporate sub scores into the list ?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
am I reading it wrong or is the score 6.6 or 6.7 ?
It's 6.6 as per MZKM and 6.7 as per Pierre. I always use Pierre's preference scores, which makes it consistent, as MZKM only calculates the preference score for Amir's reviews. Data from Erin or vendors is missing, otherwise.
I know it changed at one point due to some bass issue?
Yes, Amir re-measured it on May 19, 2021, and the original review was in May 2020. MZKM's and Pierre's scores already reflect this change.

Any chance to incorporate sub scores into the list ?
Love the work and effort @sweetchaos
I'm working on next version of this post, so stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements:
- Added Polk Audio XT15, which becomes #1 pick for <$150/pair, #3 pick for <$250/pair
- Added Polk Audio XT20, which becomes #2 pick for <$250/pair and #3 pick for <$350/pair
- Removed Neumi BS5, since I noticed that Erin's re-measurement on the Klippel NFS vs previous quasi-anechoic, dropped the PS from 4.5 to 2.7.

beaRA

Improvements:
- Added Polk Audio XT15, which becomes #1 pick for <$150/pair, #3 pick for <$250/pair
- Added Polk Audio XT20, which becomes #2 pick for <$250/pair and #3 pick for <$350/pair
- Removed Neumi BS5, since I noticed that Erin's re-measurement on the Klippel NFS vs previous quasi-anechoic, dropped the PS from 4.5 to 2.7.
Aren't the prices for the XT15 and XT20 $200 and $300/pair respectively?

warthor

Thanks for all your work on this great resource, @sweetchaos!

After reading this resource I decided I wanted to replace my klipsch RP center with the Infinity RC263. After looking for this speaker, I was unable to find it. According to Slickdeals it was last on sale in early 2021. Is this speaker sold or available any longer?

warthor

Yep, that's my understanding as well.

I've been tracking this daily since Nov 2, and it hasn't come back to stock since then.
Dang. Amazon has the two way model for a reasonable price (RC252). But I would prefer the three-way speaker.

I decided I didn't want to spend so much money on a center channel (KEF R2C) because I didn't think the performance merited the cost. The infinity seems like a much better value proposition.

sdiver68

Dang. Amazon has the two way model for a reasonable price (RC252). But I would prefer the three-way speaker.

I decided I didn't want to spend so much money on a center channel (KEF R2C) because I didn't think the performance merited the cost. The infinity seems like a much better value proposition.
Found my r263's used from a member here recently after experiencing similar. He still has the rc263 for sale in classifieds.

I can vouch for a great transaction.

warthor

Found my r263's used from a member here recently after experiencing similar. He still has the rc263 for sale in classifieds.

I can vouch for a great transaction.
Thanks for your help. That’s a good option. Although it’s illogical I try to buy with a warranty for peace of mind, but he does offer a great price! I will consider this route.

warthor

Maybe at some point the Monoprice THX-365C will take the place of the (currently non-existent) Infinity RC263 center. It is the same price, but is lacking a full spinorama.

Nonetheless, audioholics rated it very highly:

Could it have an honorable mention in the mean time? (being vetted by THX and audioholics)

I do not know whether it goes on sale or not during the holidays, but I would expect that would be the case.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this useful reference.

The F226be appears to be in the wrong price categories. It is currently $7700 USD for a pair.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Maybe at some point the Monoprice THX-365C will take the place of the (currently non-existent) Infinity RC263 center. It is the same price, but is lacking a full spinorama.

Nonetheless, audioholics rated it very highly:

Could it have an honorable mention in the mean time? (being vetted by THX and audioholics)

I do not know whether it goes on sale or not during the holidays, but I would expect that would be the case.
Agree. Added as an "Honourable mention". I hope Amir or Erin reviews these, as they have been on my radar for a while now. Audioholics spin looks promising, but I'd want to see full spin before making a recommendation.

Top Bottom