• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
You better listen to the speakers before you believe the conclusions in this list. I own the Revel M105 and the BMR monitors. In side by side tests the BMR monitors beat the M105 by a mile for clarity, fullness and punch. It's not even a contest.

I also doubt if I bought the Revel 208 and matched it directly against my Revel F328Be that the 208 would be preferred. Logic has me scratching my head on some of these posted recommended results. You could easily prefer a speaker at the bottom of the list or not on the list at all in a direct comparison with the proclaimed speaker in the #1 slot.
While not ever hearing the BMR speakers, I have read that they are very, very good speakers.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It might be a lot to maintain all the Black Friday deals, but the Polk R200 becomes #1 under $700 with its current price.

Edit: The Kef Q350 also takes the under $600 category at $499 currently.

Edit 2: And the Sony SSCS5 takes the under $100 category with a sale price of $90/pair.
Thanks.
I wish someone would send in the R200 to Amir, seeing how good their quasi-anechoic spinorama is.
We already know Erin is getting the R100.

beaRA

Thanks.
I wish someone would send in the R200 to Amir, seeing how good their quasi-anechoic spinorama is.
We already know Erin is getting the R100.
Yeah unfortunately I only had the spare R100 sitting around to send to Erin. Someone needs to buy the Wharfedale EVO4.1 off of Amir so he can afford it.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I support Erin and love his work. In fact he went deeply into diagnosing the Shadow Flare on his R3 review. Its just that I got really surprised when I saw his R2C results, because the rest of the response is really smooth (as expected from the 12 gen Uni-Q, and the previous results we got from R3) and then suddenly that sharp and very defined dip (which is better than a bump or resonance). And it doesn’t really correlate or track the provided measurements from KEF or from other users in-room results. I’ve owned 2 units of R2C and never got that response with Umik1 neither horizontally (like I use them) nor vertically (just for testing)…I don’t know the culprit of it, and I may even be wrong, but I can’t help to think maybe something went wrong. Example: Amir did have some discrepancies about bass response and discovered the low temperatures affected measurements…nowadays unless the speakers are made by hand…even the best brands have QC flaws, etc. There could be so many reasons…I regret not having the answers.

Important to note that KEF's measurements look to be much lower resolution than the NFS measurements. That error is likely still there in the KEF measurements, but the increased smoothing misses it.

Either way, it's a high q dip in an overall great response, so it won't be a huge issue in terms of audibility.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also doubt if I bought the Revel 208 and matched it directly against my Revel F328Be that the 208 would be preferred. Logic has me scratching my head on some of these posted recommended results

Revel F328Be was measured at a higher resolution(twice as many points iirc), which imo artificially lowers the score. In some sense, you kinda have to account for the measurement resolution. A lot of the manufacturer and non ASR/EAC(nfs) measurements are much more smoothed.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements:
- Added Emotiva Airmotiv T2+ (retails for US$1000/pair), reviewed by Erin. PS is 5.8, It's ranked #2 place for <$1000/pair to <$2000/pair, 3rd place <$2600/pair.

Destination: Moon

This is probably another dumb question....or 2 but here goes:

Is the PS linear or subjective? By that I mean is the PS of 5.8 for a1500 dollar floor stander the same for a 5.8 - 600 dollar book shelf?

And comparing 2 high rated speakers, say the DBR 62 at a PS of 5.8 vs the Polk R200 at half a point higher. Is it 10 percent better? Is it worth trading up from the DBR since they are virtually the same price?

Not trolling, I'm trying to parse what all this in depth hard work, by so many people means.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I believe the overall review scores represent the sum or average of scores from multiple performance parameters so speakers with the same overall score will usually have a different balance of scores from the different parameters. If we have a personal preference favoring some performance areas over others then we need to look beyond the overall score to see how well the speakers perform in the areas that are most important to us.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Under US$300/pair:
RecommendationPSLFX
#1Polk Audio T50 (Amir)3.941
#2Jamo S807 (Erin)3.044
#3**
** = No other option, since we need more towers measured at this price point.
Have you read the S807 review? Its basically glorified firewood and should hold no place in a list with recommendations.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Have you read the S807 review? Its basically glorified firewood and should hold no place in a list with recommendations.

No shit.

The S807 is junk. Personally, I wouldn't even put it in a list of recommendations. This is where looking at the score simply for the purposes of ranking stuff gets out of touch with reality.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think it’s really important for people to educate themselves as to what the preference score is before they attempt to apply it to a buying decision. It was not developed as a consumer’s guide to anything. It was more of a research tool to assist engineers in designing product that consumers would prefer. Of course there is overlap, but I think it’s best to consider it a helpful guide, and certainly not the only thing you need to know about a speaker before buying.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The preference score is mathematical calculation, nothing more.
No one is claiming it's the "One true ring that binds them all."
It's a metric, like many others, that we can use to judge a speakers performance in relation to another speaker.
It tells us if you compare two speakers, what's the probability that one speaker is more preferred than another.
It's a useful tool, in our tool-bag, to eliminate the men from the boys, or the good from the bad, or best from the worst.

It should theoretically go to 10 (assuming LFX of 14.5).
The best performing speaker that we know of is the Infinity IL60 (preference score of 8.1). It's discontinued though.
Second best performing speaker that we know of is the KEF Reference 5 (preference score of 7.6) is US$20,000/pair.
CEA2034.jpg
The worst performing speaker that we know of is the LYX SPA8PAS (preference score of -3.3), a $90/ea PA speaker.
CEA2034.jpg
Looking at the spinorama of these 2 speakers, without even computing the preference score, which one would you buy (ignoring the price)?
The Kef's, of course.
The preference score tells us the same.

In regards to what's the difference between a score of 5.0 vs 6.0, here's Dr Sean Olive's answer:

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Improvements:
- Removed preference score of lower than 3.0. Below this score, the level of performance is really not up to par with the rest of the speaker recommendations. So we can make this "line in the sand" as a requirement to make it on this list. As we test more speakers, their position will be filled with better performing speakers. In other words, this is mostly a temporary requirement that we can make until more speakers are tested.

- The following budget speakers were removed:
1. Jamo S807 (tower)
- Erin does NOT recommend this in his review.

2. Micca MB42X Mark III (bookshelf)
- Erin does NOT recommend this in his review.

3. Dayton Audio B652-AIR (bookshelf)
- Amir gave it the "headless panther" award and wrote: "This is embarrassing."

4. Pioneer SP-EC73 (center)
- Amir gave it the "questionable panther" award and wrote "Judging by what I see on objective measurements, I can't get excited about the Pioneer SP-EC73 so can't recommend it."

UPDATE: I've added what Erin's and Amir's final conclusions from each review was, so I don't feel bad about removing these at all.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Should I do the same for actives?
The under US$100/pair price point is commonly cited on reddit (for example) as the requirement for their budget.

If I do the same, then all 3 recommendations are now dropped.

Under US$100/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Mackie CR3-X (Erin)2.36750 (Erin)
#2Edifier R1280T (Amir)1.95521 & 21
#3Presonus Eris E3.5 (Erin)1.56625 (Erin)

Thoughts?

beaRA

The under US$100/pair price point is commonly cited on reddit (for example) as the requirement for their budget.

Under US$100/pair:

Thoughts?
If anybody was looking at those 3, I would strongly encourage them to grab the Neumi BS5P instead. Perhaps the lowest budget category will have to be defined by the cheapest product with minimum acceptable performance.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The issue seems to be the lack of candidates in some categories resulting in low performers being listed whereas in categories where many speakers have been tested some high performers that may fall just short of the cutline don't get listed.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Under US$100/pair:

Thoughts?
Yes. Actives don't have an excuse here.

Top Bottom