• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Speaker have hissing and pop/thumping from Amp

panther

I recently bought a Quad Vena II amp and had quite enjoyed it so far. When I got it I did not hear anything from the speakers when no music was playing, it was dead silent. A couple days ago I noticed I was hearing what I would describe as a helicopter thumping in the distance when I was near the speakers and static. As soon as I unplug any of the speaker cables I have from any of my passive speakers the noise goes away. I can hear it in both speakers but it's louder on the right channel. I tried re wiring everything, using USB, Optical and bluetooth inputs, unplugging from the furman power conditioner I use to bare wall or a UPS. I also plugged my speakers into a Yamaha WXA-50 on the same power outlet and conditioner and the speakers are once again dead silent. Also when I plug in headphones to the dedicated headphone amp I do not hear any static or buzzing in my headphones when nothing is playing. At this point I think the amp is having an issue, but should I be concerned about it/ is it something that might damage my speakers. I don't notice it at all once music starts playing as it seems to blend in.

OP
P

panther

Does the amplifier happen to be situated near anything that could give off substantial amounts of RF power? Mobile phone, cordless telephone base, WiFi router or similar? That's the first I would think of.
I forgot to add that in. I thought it was my phone or baby monitor at first. I turned off the baby monitor, phone and iPad as well as unplugged the wifi router from power at one point just to make sure but the noise remained.

OP
P

panther

What do you use now? I'm looking for a dead silent amp, did you find one?
I have the Yamaha WXA-50. Never heard anything out of it with various speakers I have used (Elac Carina, ML Motion 35, Triangle BR03, Dali Menuet SE) Measured decently on the site here.

Top Bottom