• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Monitors for Tiny Office

Alchemic

Hey everyone,

I found this site/ forum looking for reviews of monitors and I love to see that a lot of the discussion here is science based. I tried searching for my specific use case, but didn't really stumble into anything appropriate.

I'm looking to set up a tiny second office with dimensions of 13.67 feet by 7.5 feet by 7.33 feet tall.

I have collected equipment over the years for my main HT/ music system that is now going to repurposed for music only office set up. There is some sentimental value attached to these things, so I'd prefer not to jettison all this equipment:
1. Turntable and CD sources
2. Decware ZP3 phono preamp
3. deHavilland Ultraverve 3 preamp
4. Amp - TBD
5. Speakers - TBD
6. Subwoofer - Rel T2

I would prefer passive speakers around $500 +/- 100 new or slightly used. Amp will be selected based on speaker requirements. I typically listen at relatively low volumes during work. My Apple Watch registered around 61-67 dB FWIW during today's work day (near field set up).

I will have full flexibility in physical set up. The plan is to have a desk (dimensions TBD) on the narrow wall or off the narrow wall by a couple feet so I can place speakers on stands and not be in near-field. My type of music ranges from Pink Floyd, King Crimson, earlier Metallica, Brubeck, Snarky Puppy, Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson's earlier solo efforts. I am also starting to get into a few progressive metal songs by Polyphia and Animals as Leaders to give you an idea of where I am musically.

What passive monitors would you folks recommend for this kind of set up?

syzygetic

I was really happy with the ELAC DBR62 in this role, powered by nCore NC400. I don’t have the setup anymore, now I use 8030C on my desk, but the ELAC were solid.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey everyone,

I found this site/ forum looking for reviews of monitors and I love to see that a lot of the discussion here is science based. I tried searching for my specific use case, but didn't really stumble into anything appropriate.

I'm looking to set up a tiny second office with dimensions of 13.67 feet by 7.5 feet by 7.33 feet tall.

I have collected equipment over the years for my main HT/ music system that is now going to repurposed for music only office set up. There is some sentimental value attached to these things, so I'd prefer not to jettison all this equipment:
1. Turntable and CD sources
2. Decware ZP3 phono preamp
3. deHavilland Ultraverve 3 preamp
4. Amp - TBD
5. Speakers - TBD
6. Subwoofer - Rel T2

I would prefer passive speakers around $500 +/- 100 new or slightly used. Amp will be selected based on speaker requirements. I typically listen at relatively low volumes during work. My Apple Watch registered around 61-67 dB FWIW during today's work day (near field set up).

I will have full flexibility in physical set up. The plan is to have a desk (dimensions TBD) on the narrow wall or off the narrow wall by a couple feet so I can place speakers on stands and not be in near-field. My type of music ranges from Pink Floyd, King Crimson, earlier Metallica, Brubeck, Snarky Puppy, Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson's earlier solo efforts. I am also starting to get into a few progressive metal songs by Polyphia and Animals as Leaders to give you an idea of where I am musically.

What passive monitors would you folks recommend for this kind of set up?

Why are you not considering actives? You can keep all your emotional preferences (1, 2 and 3) and still go active.
For you nearfield application actives are a great option.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I’d be looking for actives like Genelec 8030 or 8330 if you can afford. Don’t reply with issues about reliability because it won’t wash.

OP
A

Alchemic

@syzygetic - yeah, the DBR62 was certainly one that caught my eye.

For some reason, I didn’t realize that I could use actives with the chain as I have it. I guess it makes sense since an active speaker is just a “regular” speaker with amplification built in. Thanks, @Peluvius. I’ll update my original post.

@NiagaraPete - I wasn’t aware that there are reliability issues with the Genelec. I am a reliability guy by day… so you have my interest piqued. :)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This thread has most of the passive options I would consider.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
enelec. I am a reliability guy by day… so you have my interest piqued.
There isn’t. Sorry to send the wrong intention.

traderitch

I highly recommend a KEF LS50’s.
A patient search on your local CL and occasionally on eBay can net you a pair for ~$600

Top Bottom