• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive hearing protection for concerts? Any recommendations?

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Any experience with specific products appreciated. Also price is an object to a point. I've used those cheap drug store squishy foam ones and they were pretty bad. I'm guessing they attenuated upper frequencies only and maybe exposed hearing damage I have in the lows. I heard obvious grating/clicking sounds on loud LF parts, that I never noticed without the plugs. I doubt this is normal. Thanks.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've been reasonably happy with the Etymotics - it looks like they've rebranded the old ER20 to ETY-Plugs. I've had both the old version and the newer XS variety and they're certainly better for music than the cheap foam plugs.

OP
L

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
I've used Earpeace ear plugs https://www.earpeace.com/pages/earpeace-music for years. They just lower the volume but you can still hear the highs.
Thanks. Recently have some minor ringing (maybe from a recent med change or fluid in my ears?) and sensitivity to loud noise/music. Hopefully it's just the season changing...I'm getting old very quickly it seems.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These are the same as the Ety's, and cost less, pretty sure Etymotic makes them, Get them here. Only thing is they don't come with a carry case.
I have been using these or the Ety's for years now, they work great, saved my hearing from all of the metal bands I have seen.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
squishy foam ones
....don't do it for me either. I think my ear canals have an odd shape or something. I used Norton Sonic II for a long time (now https://www.earplugstore.com/health-enterprises-acu-life-shooters-impact-ear-plugs.html) and would cover the opening with putty for really loud shows. Nowadays I usually take solid plugs AND foam plugs-if the foam is not enough I put in the solids.

WARNING: foam plugs should be THROWN AWAY do NOT reuse! Solid plugs, clean off and sterilize with alcohol. And do not swap between ears, unless you want to wake up deaf in one ear like I once did due to cross-contamination per the doctor.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
These are the same as the Ety's, and cost less, pretty sure Etymotic makes them, Get them here. Only thing is they don't come with a carry case.
I have been using these or the Ety's for years now, they work great, saved my hearing from all of the metal bands I have seen.
I've seen the ER20 rebranded by E.A.R. and a few others with varying combinations of accessories.

There was a request for measuring some of these plugs recently but I can't find it now.

Top Bottom