• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive DIY sub integration

OP
S

SaladDressing

Look at Harrison Labs FMODS to filter the low fr from the monitors and search for a sub amp with a pair of splitters.Shure has some filters too:View attachment 240948
so basically split each channel after pre out from my id4 and feed one of each into sub amp and one of each through high pass into the actives. Then set low pass in dsp of sub amp to the same frequency or just use a low pass in line?
Only problem I see here is that I need to always unplug the high pass when I want to listen without a sub (so my roommates can sleep lol)
Quality should be nice I guess? I mean it's probably a simple high/low pass circuit with some hopefully high quality components.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
so basically split each channel after pre out from my id4 and feed one of each into sub amp and one of each through high pass into the actives. Then set low pass in dsp of sub amp to the same frequency or just use a low pass in line?
Only problem I see here is that I need to always unplug the high pass when I want to listen without a sub (so my roommates can sleep lol)
Quality should be nice I guess? I mean it's probably a simple high/low pass circuit with some hopefully high quality components.
Yes that would be the cheapest solution i think. A good sub amp should have adjustable low pass filters and phase. If you buy a dsp one you can correct some fr issues.You can simply turn down the volume of the sub instead of disconnecting it.

OP
S

SaladDressing

Yes that would be the cheapest solution i think. A good sub amp should have adjustable low pass filters and phase. If you buy a dsp one you can correct some fr issues.You can simply turn down the volume of the sub instead of disconnecting it.
okay yes that is a good idea! will go with the crown xls 1502 by the looks of it. Thanks!
Later on I can still opt into the id44 or minidsp flex :)

Chrise36

Major Contributor
okay yes that is a good idea! will go with the crown xls 1502 by the looks of it. Thanks!
Later on I can still opt into the id44 or minidsp flex :)
Is there no eq software for audient or is your card not compatible?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The crown xls has no dsp just simple crossover. Behringer has proper dsp in the same price range.

OP
S

SaladDressing

Is there no eq software for audient or is your card not compatible?
I have an eq running on my pc, there is none on my card.
The crown xls has no dsp just simple crossover. Behringer has proper dsp in the same price range.
yes but 1. it doesn't really matter for a sub and 2. the behringer has a super loud fan which is bad since the amp will stand near me without isolation

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

yes but 1. it doesn't really matter for a sub and 2. the behringer has a super loud fan which is bad since the amp will stand near me without isolation

I'd agrue that DSP matters more for the sub and any other speakers, but you also don't have to have it all now. You can always get a miniDSP or something else for DSP later. I'd take the Crown with no DSP over the Behringer as well, and just sort out DSP later when you have the funds available. I used 70Hz Harrison Labs FMODS for about a month until I got my miniDSP Flex. They worked very well for their purpose, and I just ran a PEQ app on my Mac for the DSP.

One downside is that the Crown's crossover is a 24 dB/Oct slope, and I think the FMODs are 12 dB/Oct slope, so you probably want matching FMODs for both, and ignore the crossover in the crown. I'd double check this though, I could be misremembering.

Top Bottom