• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive desk speaker recommendations

adibis

I am trying to find a smallish set of passive speakers for desk use.
  • Preferably footprint under 7W"x8D" - don't care much about the height.
    • Unless - I can put the speakers sideways under the monitors - I have 6-7" clearance under the monitors.
  • Modi3+ DAC -> Magni Heresy -> HD 6xx for headphones. I have the Sajab A10a for speakers - also fed from Modi3+.
    • Currently using Micca covo-s that I have had for a couple of years. Pretty mediocre speakers - no instrument separation, harsher treble, no bass.
    • I tried using my Wharfedale diamond 10.1 on the desk but they're _huge_. Love the audio on these - currently serving as surrounds in my HT setup.
  • Desk would be 72"x30" with 2 27" monitors so distance from me would be 2 maybe 3 feet. No place behind the desk.
  • Desk has computer CPU tower so putting speakers on the side of the desk may not work.
  • Budget less than 300 USD if possible.

The ones I have kind of considered so far:
  • Micca mb42x/rb42 -- not sure how much improvement over Covo-S
  • Jamo S803 -- so far like these the most. They're not small but better than the Wharfedale.

Any thoughts?

(Edit: Dimension preference added)

Last edited:
OP
A

adibis

Interesting one - not the best rating. Would something like the Dayton MK402X be better than these since they were recommended and Amir has said on multiple occasions that he does not care about price when giving recommendations usually?

reverbel

Forum Donor
OP
A

adibis

JBL Stage A130 speakers fit in your budget and have a great quality/price ratio. Among all passive speakers reviewed by Amir, I think the A130's give you the best bang for the buck. Their dimensions (7.48" W x 9.06" D) are a bit over your preferred footprint, but you might want to check them out anyway:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-stage-a130-review-speaker.18260/

I have a pair of A130's in my office and am very satisfied.

Thanks -- I have been comparing these to the Diamond 10.1s which I said I already have (similar from what I've seen to Diamond 220s reviewed by Amir here).

Whardefales are 7.6 x 10.8 x 11.5
A130s are 7.5 x 9.0 x 12.6

Question : Do the JBLs perform well on their side? I cannot put the 10.1s on the side because of the curved sides. But if JBLs can work well on their side then I can put them under the monitor with 7.5" clearance.

OP
A

adibis

Any thoughts about the PSB alpha P3 / JBL A120 or the Neumi BS5?

Again - going for smaller (4/4.5" driver) speakers just due to desk limitations.
I am in an apartment, desk is right against the wall. Cannot do anything to walls, I have barely enough space between my bed and the desk for chair, so pulling up the desk away from wall would be impossible as well.

I guess I lose out on bass with 4.5" drivers but I am okay with eventually getting a sub to put under the desk if it's that necessary.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just for curiosity - maybe two center speakers below monitor?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any thoughts about the PSB alpha P3 / JBL A120 or the Neumi BS5?
The Neumi is the same size as the Emotiva B1+ I mentioned up above, and the Emotiva measured better, IMO.

I guess I lose out on bass with 4.5" drivers but I am okay with eventually getting a sub to put under the desk if it's that necessary.
Even with 5.25" drivers, you would still want a sub to fill in the low end.

In my experience, speakers with 5.25" or 6.5" drivers integrate better with subwoofers. With most 4" speakers, you're going to have to dial the crossover on the sub relatively high which will cause it to draw too much attention to itself.

Also, most of these 4" bookshelf speakers, like the Dayton MK402X are fairly inefficient and will require a lot more amplifier power, although in near-field applications at lower volumes it may not be too much of an issue.

OP
A

adibis

The Neumi is the same size as the Emotiva B1+ I mentioned up above, and the Emotiva measured better, IMO.

Even with 5.25" drivers, you would still want a sub to fill in the low end.

In my experience, speakers with 5.25" or 6.5" drivers integrate better with subwoofers. With most 4" speakers, you're going to have to dial the crossover on the sub relatively high which will cause it to draw too much attention to itself.

Also, most of these 4" bookshelf speakers, like the Dayton MK402X are fairly inefficient and will require a lot more amplifier power, although in near-field applications at lower volumes it may not be too much of an issue.

Thanks - that last part is where I am confused. If I need to anyway go for 5.25" then might as well keep the ones I have right now because the main goal here was to try and save some space. If 4" speakers are not worth it then I just need to figure out how to live with the larger ones :(

Top Bottom