• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Bookshelf Speakers ~$3k (Desk)

Freeway

If you're looking in that $2500 range, my list is as follows:

Buchardt S400 MKII
Arendal 1723 Monitor
Selah Purezza (RIP)
PSB Synchrony B600
LXsirius

Up to $3k:
JBL 705P
Paradigm Founder 40B

Your OP says you listen "at a meter or two". Is it one meter or two? That makes a big difference with waveguided speakers. In fact, most of these I would not consider at 1 meter, some not even at 2. If you're really that close I would consider KEF LS50 Meta.

I am really curious about the Paradigm Founder 40B. Have you seen any measurements yet?
Ordered the Buchardt S400 MKII. Coming sometime 2022 ?? I am in a near field situation. Will see how that works out.
Did have Technics SB-C700 here for a couple months. Really enjoyed it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been tempted at times to "upgrade" to larger speakers.

But after watching many action movies and blasting music while dialing in my subs, I'm at the point where I don't see the point anymore, at least in this spare bedroom. This is an amazingly dynamic system.

I run 2 subs with my S400 MKII's and I don't need any more SPL. 95 dB of treble is plenty for me, but to each their own. Do you know how loud that is? The subs are capable of over 120 dB due to room gain
headbang.gif

Interestingly, 95 dB of treble sounds just as loud as 120 dB of low bass, to my ears.

I do think the S400 MKII's will be a little more neutral than the other speakers on your list, if you value that.

The 4722's are a COMPLETELY different ballgame. Are you really cross-shopping these?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am really curious about the Paradigm Founder 40B. Have you seen any measurements yet?
Ordered the Buchardt S400 MKII. Coming sometime 2022 ?? I am in a near field situation. Will see how that works out.
I am as well. Haven't seen measurements for the 40B, but have for the 100F tower: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

I would probably want to EQ the high end down a bit of planning to use them at higher volume levels.

Honestly, as much as I like the S400 MKII's which power my home theater and music system, I don't think they are the best near-field. I wouldn't use them at less than 6 feet if I wanted the best sound.

Holmz

Major Contributor

• Selah Audio Purezza / Tempesta MK2 [Selah Audio is closing sadly so these are probably not an option]

If you are looking at the Seleh, the the March Audio Suintuva seems like a logical candidate.
I believe that they are going on a Klippel pretty soon.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I have been tempted at times to "upgrade" to larger speakers.

But after watching many action movies and blasting music while dialing in my subs, I'm at the point where I don't see the point anymore, at least in this spare bedroom. This is an amazingly dynamic system.

I do think the S400 MKII's will be a little more neutral than the other speakers on your list, if you value that.

The 4722's are a COMPLETELY different ballgame. Are you really cross-shopping these?
Well yeah the 4722N is not the best idea for my medium size room maybe, I just think they look cool lol.

Two reasons I want large bookshelf speakers:
1. I went big on my amp so I may as well go big on my speakers in case they ever move to a larger room.
2. My Studio 530's won't get loud enough for the entire room and they have a 5.25" woofer. Granted, I don't have a sub yet to take some bass effort away from the 530's.

But if adding a sub or two to Revel M126Be, March Audio Sointuva or S400 MK II would allow enough volume without the speakers struggling to keep up in SPL, I'll consider those too.

Note that I'm not talking about a desk setup any more, and I'm in a 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft room.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say that since your goal is to have multiple subs, it matters much less to have big speakers, but it doesn't hurt to have more on tap as long as the design isn't compromised. Larger woofers require bigger tweeters since the crossover needs to be lower. A larger woofer operating too high will beam and cause a narrowing of directivity, which then widens again where the tweeter begins. The Arendals probably strike a good balance, and I am looking forward to seeing them on the NFS.

If you can implement some serious DSP, the 4722 would be in another league with directivity control to much lower frequencies than the smaller speakers. If you can get them into the room.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I would say that since your goal is to have multiple subs, it matters much less to have big speakers, …

^Fair point^

But if adding a sub or two to Revel M126Be, March Audio Sointuva or S400 MK II would allow enough volume without the speakers struggling to keep up in SPL, I'll consider those too.

Note that I'm not talking about a desk setup any more, and I'm in a 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft room.

I listened to the MAs in a room about that size with maybe 9’ ceilings.
I do not know your SPL tastes, but we were cruising in the 80-85 dB(A) range with peaks in the 102-104 dB(A) range.
And it was being driven by 120 w/ch Class-D Purifi amp.

I would not say that they were struggling at all, and I busted out the SPL meter as they had that quiet sound which is indicative of low distortion... where they sound quiet, until one is also trying to have a conversation… and yelling to do it.

I would await on the concept of needing a sub if it is for music. It was surprising how much bass it had with the 2 passive radiators on the back.

Lastly; since I am somewhat biased, I am awaiting the objective measurements just to confirm what I heard.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Of all the affordable speakers I have heard recently, the Revel stand out. I still prefer to roll my own. I was hoping the new batch of EMT based systems had made progress as the likes of ML, Elac, and Golden Ear but to my ears, way to shrill. Resonance and breakup modes.

There are so many speakers, all of them are terrible, it is hard to recommend one or another to some one else. You have to go listen. Always go listen to a Vanderstein 2Ce as a benchmark for a "do nothing wrong" speaker. Has JBL quit making their jump off the shelf boosted mids they were famous for? B&W's got way too bright. he LS50's sound nice but only if you don't move your head 6 inches. Once upon a time, you could trust Boston, Polk, Definitive, Paradigm, Mirage, Warfdale, etc for respectable mid-cost speakers. Don't know now.

At prices below about 5K, you probably get value for the price, above that, it gets dubious if you are paying for performance or ego. I know a lot of speakers I would rather have than a Wilson and have the price of a Jaguar left over. Down at 3K, it is tough competition. Probably won't get floor standing full range, but good monitors on stands.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Of all the affordable speakers I have heard recently, the Revel stand out. I still prefer to roll my own. I was hoping the new batch of EMT based systems had made progress as the likes of ML, Elac, and Golden Ear but to my ears, way to shrill. Resonance and breakup modes.

There are so many speakers, all of them are terrible, it is hard to recommend one or another to some one else. You have to go listen. Always go listen to a Vanderstein 2Ce as a benchmark for a "do nothing wrong" speaker. Has JBL quit making their jump off the shelf boosted mids they were famous for? B&W's got way too bright. he LS50's sound nice but only if you don't move your head 6 inches. Once upon a time, you could trust Boston, Polk, Definitive, Paradigm, Mirage, Warfdale, etc for respectable mid-cost speakers. Don't know now.

At prices below about 5K, you probably get value for the price, above that, it gets dubious if you are paying for performance or ego. I know a lot of speakers I would rather have than a Wilson and have the price of a Jaguar left over. Down at 3K, it is tough competition. Probably won't get floor standing full range, but good monitors on stands.

Generally I agree… ( I am still rockin the Vandersteen 2Cs from the 80s.)

I liked those Sointuvas though, and decided it is best to just fund Erin as he is testing them and bunch of other speakers that allow me weed out speakers into naughty and nice columns.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I'm getting closer to purchase time.

I have some estimates/guesstimates for pricing below. 15% is due to my country's import tax. Included already in my summation for Arendal.

Arendal 1723 Monitor THX [3565 USD + customs]
JBL LSR6332 [1500 USD + shipping + 15% + customs]
JBL 4722N [5200 USD + shipping + 15% + customs]
Revel M126Be [5500-6000 USD all up]

The M126Be price is a guess. I will find out soon the real cost.

Not sure what to go for.

In the case of 4722N, it would only make sense to get it in NZ as overseas shipping would be through the roof. But finding it here is unlikely.

I imagine the M126Be will only get so loud.

Therefore the 1723 and LSR6332 are more appealing.

I'm still open to other ideas but those speakers above are at the top of my list.

Help me decide :)

Holmz

Major Contributor
Are something like the Genelec 8030d too small or too quiet?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Revel M126Be [5500-6000 USD all up]
Wow, they retail for US$4400/pair.
That's a 25% to 36% price hike.
That's a tough sell, just on price alone.

Arendals I can recommend since we've seen their spin and they look very well designed.
But they are designed to be ONLY used with subs.

JBL LSR6332 is nowhere near to be found in Canada or USA, since it's discontinued.
But the spin looks good, so I can recommend.
Your price is amazing, so I would be considering these.

JBL 4722N [5200 USD + shipping + 15% + customs]
It's US$4342/pair in the states, so this 20% price hike isn't that bad.
But we don't have any spinorama, which wouldn't put this on my list.
Since I don't buy speakers without seeing spinorama.

So I'd pick Arendals for best spin, but at a price premium.
Or to save some money, JBL LSR6332 would be my 2nd pick, with decent quality spin.

Also, take a look at my 'passive recommendation' thread. ;)

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Are something like the Genelec 8030d too small or too quiet?
It seems to be powered not passive.
Or to save some money, JBL LSR6332 would be my 2nd pick, with decent quality spin.

Also, take a look at my 'passive recommendation' thread. ;)
Thank you, I am looking at getting 2 subs, later on. Maybe 2x Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1V.

Yeah I've been monitoring that thread for a while now, it's excellent.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

What if I want to spend around the Arendal cost or even more? Requirements: 8"-12" woofer(s) and bookshelf, good measurements, very low THD, high power handling.

Is there anything available?

• JBL 708i - sounds like trouble - has a resonance in its FR and you have to get special equipment to use LSR 7 series.

• Perlisten S5b - that's 15,000 USD here - too much money.

• Ascend Sierra LX - is a candidate - claims to handle 350 Watts continuous

• March Sointuva - a candidate, but there was a controversy with the designer's behaviour here

• KEF Reference 1 Meta - a candidate, but I'm not a fan of KEF speakers' looks

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

The Arendal will definitely get loud enough complemented with two subs. Room is about 7 metres by 4 metres.

The March claims to handle 250W, so it should be a good match for my amplifier (Neurochrome Modulus-686).

The Revel and Philharmonic both handle only about 100W.

Therefore I've decided to narrow down to:

Arendal 1723 Monitor THX
March Sointuva

Pro for Arendal: 2x 8" woofers should get louder than I'd ever want
Pro for March: close to my country for shipping
Con for March: the supposed commotion here at ASR from the designer

Which one to go for . . . :)

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
The Arendal will definitely get loud enough complemented with two subs. Room is about 7 metres by 4 metres.

The March claims to handle 250W, so it should be a good match for my amplifier (Neurochrome Modulus-686).

The amp does not put of 250W unless the volume knob and the music demand it.
How loud do you like it?

Plus if the speakers are less efficient than they may need 250W.

Arendal 1723 Monitor THX
March Sointuva

I have not really bought a proper speaker in decades, but the March is about 15 miles (25km) away, and I am going that route.
Part of the reason is also the look (and Mrs), but they did sound pretty good, and the objective measurements from Erin were great.

They will be a Munich so maybe you can get some feedback from what happens there?

The passive radiator also help to move the bass notes as much as an extra woofer.

Have you seen the review cuzzy-bro?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Arendal 1723 Monitor THX
March Sointuva

Easy decision. In a couple of years you won't remember the shipping differences.

jonfitch

You might get lucky with a used pair of Kef Reference 1s. I've always lusted after that rosewood finish...

Top Bottom