• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive bookshelf for near field/desktop listening?

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Hi guys, wondering if you can recommend a good near field / desktop bookshelf speaker? I currently have a big pair of Canton speakers but I think they are a bit much for my room size and don't have room to open up. I thought about something like a JBL 4408, or maybe some smaller canton's or ADS. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
PSB Alpha B have been my primary desktop speakers for the past 10 years. They're great in near-field application because they're not bright, so you won't experience ear fatigue. You can still find them on ebay sometimes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PSB-Alpha-...680123&hash=item5b54990e5d:g:xh4AAOxyKTFR5xLX

Of course, you'll also want to throw a subwoofer under the desk to fill in the low end.

I think Wharfedale Diamond 225 would also work well in nearfield.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
Oh and symmetrical/mirror imaged is also a requirement for my OCD

goldark

Forum Donor
I bought the Focal Aria 906 after the good review here on ASR. They're larger but sound very good near field if you can accommodate the space. The drivers integrate very well from a shorter distance and they sound in phase. They're essentially the passive version of the Focal Shape 65 which is a near field studio monitor.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I didn't use them long as I really didn't need nearfield much, but for a time I used the Polk M15s and I felt that they sounded pretty decent in this capacity. I did cheat and supported them with a little REL T-Zero sub under the desk. I have no idea how the Polk's would measure if scrutinized to that extent, but subjectively they were enjoyable. I have since moved past the NAD M51 DAC and the little iOne. This was right around the time I discovered ASR and have since moved to the SMSL M200 and just prior the SU-8 V2.
MyOldNearfield.jpg

D

Deleted member 17820

The ultimate for me would be a solution that can

1. Play full-ish range without a sub
2. Be bass managed with a sub
My built in sound card offered me this solution but the SQ was WAY too bad.
You would need a DAC with built in bass managment to create a good system like that.
So you main concern if not using a sub is getting the sound you want. You will either need
1. A speaker that gives you the sound you want that has to fit in one location
2. Move the location of the speakers around the room, away from wall, etc untill you get the sound you want.

The other thing is are there tweeters you like/dislike? That plays a big part in speaker recs.

Top Bottom