• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Amplifier Question — Phono Passive to Linn Klout

OP
L

Lammie

There are simple cheap converters to change the type of digital, if another small box isn't an issue.

I've seen some sorts of things like this:
Cheapo A-to-D

Surely these aren't great quality?

I've had a sniff around the ASR for AD converters, but most seem to be heavy duty types you would use for recording from microphones, etc—not for really for converting a line input from a phono stage or tape deck into a DAC.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I've seen some sorts of things like this:
Cheapo A-to-D

Surely these aren't great quality?

I've had a sniff around the ASR for AD converters, but most seem to be heavy duty types you would use for recording from microphones, etc—not for really for converting a line input from a phono stage or tape deck into a DAC.
I would be very wary of these ultra cheapo converters. Would they even be bit-perfect?
Your Kairn tales sound oh so very familiar. Especially with weird stuff after a power cut. Interesting note on the hiss with Linn, I always thought it was mains noise or interference or something. It was quite a pleasant surprise when the Topping went in and the hiss left.

Coincidentally I was actually on the Pro-Ject site a few moments ago and was eyeing off the AD Box (and also trying to make sense of the Pro-Ject site, good god what a mess). The AD Box is much cheaper than the Puffin (doesn't seem as fun though). The Puffin also has a Coax out, which happens to be the only vacant digital-in left on the D50s. It's 2.5 times the price of the Pro-Ject though. Hmm... maybe I can sell the Kairn *shifty eyes*.
Looking further into the AD Box, I think the volume control only affects the digital side, to avoid overload, so that might not be suitable. <https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/AD-Box-S2-Phono?DepartmentIds=1&CategoryIds=72&BrandIds=2>

Top Bottom