• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass Through and DACs

pingufreddy

Hello all, I have a couple of basic questions about streamers and DACs that I'm hoping some folks more knowledgeable than me may be able to help with.

Firstly, I assume that small budget streamers such as Wiim, Chromecast Audio etc., can function as pure passthroughs. That is, they can just pull a digital stream from a WiFi and pass it through a wired digital output and into a DAC in bit for bit fashion. If that is the case, is it also true that there is no bitrate limit to these pass-through devices? In terms of music, are the various content packages, Spotify, Tidal etc., are unpacked and read by the DAC and not the Wiim type devices acting as pass throughs? Finally, I have read that Roon "supports" Chromecast audio but is limited to 28/96. Does this mean Chromecast+DAC or does it apply to the dongle as a pass-through?

Many thanks in advance for any help on this!!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chromecast is limited to 24/96 because its Toslink output can only support that maximum bit and rate. If it had USB, it can only support whatever maximum bit and sample the XMOS chip can support in the DAC

Top Bottom