• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass Labs HPA-1 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 320 90.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters

Martini

Forum Donor
The "PASS" logo might as well accounts for $3,600 of the price tag.

As in the Tom Waits song Step Right Up, "the quality goes in, when the name goes on."

TimF

Forum Donor
Three thousand six hundred and seventy-five dollars US? $3,675? I haven't got the words that characterize that price with respect to reality.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But now he has to sell it knowing it's junk; a heavy price to pay on his conscious.
He sold it before I did the review. Indeed that was the reason I tested it now as the buyer has been waiting for it.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
please show some respect folks, 1 out of 100 products there might be some bad design overall, can't hurt the reputation

There are countless other products in the non snake oil world that are panned with far less offensive performance + features over price.

I guess some people just don't like money and standards.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
please show some respect folks
Respect what?
1 out of 100 products there might be some bad design overall, can't hurt the reputation
The other Pass amp tested at ASR ended up at the end of the wrong end of the power amplifier charts, with quite a margin! I guess that is an achievement of sorts?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nelson Pass is one of the good guys in audio - he freely shares many of his recent designs over on DIYaudio.com - and knows perfectly well what he is doiing. He can design low distortion amps with the best of them - see tests of his old Threshold amps - but chooses not to do so. This amp is intentionally designed with low/no feedback. Nelson Pass has stated that he prefers the way low/no feedback amps sound. Clearly many audiophiles agree with his philosophy for the company is, as far as one can tell, quite successful.
The amp under test reportedly was not designed by Nelson Pass but rather by another Pass Labs employee, as mentioned earlier in the thread

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Bleib

Major Contributor
If tests like this had been available for a long time a lot of people would have saved a lot of money.

okok

there're tons of no name hp amps cost $15000 on headfi, and many (users of those "high end") attack asr as measurement morons... $3000 is like nothing

how can some box can charge $20000 to drive some moving coils?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If tests like this had been available for a long time a lot of people would have saved a lot of money.
. . . . And a lot of people would have gone out of business. There is a long feeding chain attached to every expensive product.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do have to wonder, had someone stuck the guts of a JDS Atom into that case, what they would have said. My guess is, exactly the same!
Ha, at least it would then actually be a genuinely good product! (Well, not in terms of price, but why be too serious!)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Metronomy

Lots of money, lots of noise. How could you not isolate the circuits from PS noise, in consideration of the large volume of the case? No balanced inputs? A ridiculous locking headphone receptacle, barely adequate power, poor ribbon-cable dressing complete the offer for the anxious “almost-wealthy” crowd of non-cognoscenti. At a 20 times lower price, the Topping L30 II incinerates this bloated sub-spec product to the dust-bin of history.

Thank you Amir for an impeccable review! To the audio electronic engineers of America: it is time to wake-up and return to the drawing board and the 101 Class of contemporary high performance Audio design and manufacturing.
I would really like Amirm to try the Riviera which in my parts is considered a must. https://www.rivieralabs.com/prodotti/elettroniche/
10000 euros would not be enough I think

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He sold it before I did the review. Indeed that was the reason I tested it now as the buyer has been waiting for it.
lol!

Addicted to music

I’ve had a listen to a number of Pass Lab power amps, the ones I had in the house I’m sure had similar distortion figures, but some people like that!

BeeKay

Appears stereophile’s JA measured a different device ;)

”Pass Labs' HPA-1 offers superb measured performance that reflects equally superb audio engineering.—John Atkinson

Top Bottom