• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass HPA1

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is just a black(B in the suffix) Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG locking 6.3mm panel connector. I assume it was chosen because of its quality. It has silver-plated (AG in the suffix) contacts and costs around $ 9.-.
They are also available in free connectors (for cables) in black and silver.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is just a Neutrik locking 6.3mm panel connector. I assume it was chosen because of its quality. It has silver-plated contacts and costs around $ 9.-.
They are also available in free connectors (for cables) in black and silver.
Right? But I guess it's not pretty, or something.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is intended for professional use (hence the lock, which doesn't 'lock' very well on all plugs b.t.w.) and usually this is more toward functionality and robustness than looks.
For that amount of money and a consumer device I would have used a connector with just a hole in the front + XLR-4 pin and maybe even Pentaconn all neatly alligned.
I guess the designer thought this connector, as it is from Neutrik, looks more 'professional'. A design choice.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It's such a pretty product, apart from that absolutely hideous headphone socket that looks like it should be on the back of a black carpeted PA speaker in a nightclub.
The connector is daibolical - but I don't like the volume control either.

Overall a bit of an abomination aesthetically.

gitaarwerk

I think it's one of the lesser pretty high end amps... Pass makes much nicer looking stuff than this. The locking neutrik thing is an abonimation. I use one myself for my punch panel, and it's not a very nice experience to use. Also the interior... it doesn't look sophisticated.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's perfectly understandable that for that price, you would want to love the looks.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Maybe Pass is the only one who thinks about the contact quality of these jack sockets.
The usual built-in jack sockets have a contact resistance < 15 mΩ with a nominal current per contact of 3 A.
The NJ3FP6C-BAG installed in the HPA1 pass has a contact resistance < 6 mΩ at a rated current per contact of 10 A, which is 60% less contact resistance.

And even if it's only a few mA, the possible difference in contact resistance between the individual contacts can of course be correspondingly higher with the cheap jack socket.
If you consider how high the demands on the devices are and then the cheaper jack sockets are installed...:facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe Pass is the only one who thinks about the contact quality of these jack sockets.
The usual built-in jack sockets have a contact resistance < 15 mΩ with a nominal current per contact of 3 A.
The NJ3FP6C-BAG installed in the HPA1 pass has a contact resistance < 6 mΩ at a rated current per contact of 10 A, which is 60% less contact resistance.

And even if it's only a few mA, the possible difference in contact resistance between the individual contacts can of course be correspondingly higher with the cheap jack socket.
If you consider how high the demands on the devices are and then the cheaper jack sockets are installed...:facepalm:
He used really nice binding posts on my J2, built like a battleship, all metal and you can wrench them. I was so impressed I used the same posts on my DIY speakers.

okok

you don't know Audio-GD do you? they use this jack and socket for many years, what's the big deal? fairly common out there

Roland68

Major Contributor
you don't know Audio-GD do you? they use this jack and socket for many years, what's the big deal? fairly common out there
The 3 devices from Audio-GD with a headphone jack that I had on the table so far had the $3 replicas installed. You notice that immediately when you put it in once you have had the original in your hand. But since none of the devices flashed me in any way, it wasn't important to me.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What happened at Pass? Are they actually going to release a low(-ish) distortion product? 86 SINAD! Wow! Still about 3 orders of magnitude removed from state of art… all that for a massive price and you get an ugly connector thrown in for free (although I must admit I quite like the thing ;) )

Alcophone

From the manual:
Locking Headphone Connector: The Neutrik locking headphone connector has become the de-facto standard in the broadcast world because of it’s rugged reliability. But beyond that it has special attributes, worthy of note which make it ideal for our purposes and your listening pleasure. First and foremost the Neutrik locking connector provides an isolated signal ground connection for greater signal purity.

The high contact pressure and positive locking mechanism of this piece work in conjunction to maintain the best possible signal integrity between the headphone amp circuit and the headphones. The silver contacts are rated to reliably carry 10A of current without overheating and are largely self cleaning. If there is a better sounding and more trouble-free 1/4” audio jack, we’ve yet to experience it!

In use the locking mechanism is automatic in action and requires little or no additional insertion force. To disconnect the red button on the front of the connector must be pushed in and held at the same time as the plug is removed from the connector. It is most convenient to depress the button with the thumb while holding the plug with thumb and forefinger of the same hand. In use this action becomes automatic.

I love this amp. My favorite so far. I use IsoAcoustics Iso-Puck Minis to keep it firmly in place (and shouldn't have to, the felt feet are a poor choice).

The locking headphone jack is annoying when you want to compare headphones but no concern otherwise. I've gotten used to the look and it almost has a rustic charm. I wish the release lever was as oversized as the volume knob to support one handed operation, though.

The power switch in the back is cumbersome, and the unit takes quite a while to become operational after turning it on (20 seconds or so?), so I hesitate to turn it on for brief uses while the Gustard H20 is operational in a fraction of a second. Not a big deal most of the time, though.

The volume knob is lovely. Easy to locate without looking though I sometimes confuse its round frame for it, that could be better. Smooth to operate, pleasant to touch and while I appreciate the intent behind relay stepped attenuators it's nice to have full continuity and no sharp ratcheting noises from clicking relays. Also great for level matching when the other amp has volume steps.

Very nice that despite only having two inputs there's a dedicated button for each instead of a toggle. I guess a toggle would help facilitate blind A/B (once you forgot whether you last picked A or B, covering the LED) but if you know which input you want, this one can be operated with confidence without looking.

Even with the DCA Stealth its power consumption is constant, unlike the Gustard H20 which consumes more power at higher volume levels / bass heavy tracks despite supposedly being class A as well.

Top Bottom