• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass HPA1

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Any news as to when the Pass HPA1 review will be up please Amir?

Thanks.

It's such a pretty product, apart from that absolutely hideous headphone socket that looks like it should be on the back of a black carpeted PA speaker in a nightclub.

OP
J

J Ratcliffe

A
It's such a pretty product, apart from that absolutely hideous headphone socket that looks like it should be on the back of a black carpeted PA speaker in a nightclub.
Apparently that connector is from a Gibson Les Paul guitar. There's obviously a story there, but I have no idea what it is :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a locking Neutrik TRS jack.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's a locking Neutrik TRS jack.

We know that. Doesn't make it any less stupid, hideous or less ugly. It's a 6.35mm headphone jack, not a set of jumper leads for a car.

What's next? Missile switch covers for power switches and key operated input selectors?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back on ignore.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We know that. Doesn't make it any less stupid, hideous or less ugly. It's a 6.35mm headphone jack, not a set of jumper leads for a car.

What's next? Missile switch covers for power switches and key operated input selectors?
Two keys that must be operated concurrently RJ. We wouldn't want one of the kids going rogue and turning the hi-fi on.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

John. @fpitas was responding to this post.
A
Apparently that connector is from a Gibson Les Paul guitar. There's obviously a story there, but I have no idea what it is :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like it personally

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
J

J Ratcliffe

Tastes vary. Personally I could live with it.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's ok looking. A bit overpriced.
Well if you don't believe in helping people with charity and have no appreciation for actual art, what else are you going to do with your money than buy almost well designed boxes of electronics

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you don't believe in helping people with charity and have no appreciation for actual art, what else are you going to do with your money than buy almost well designed boxes of electronics
True

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am somewhat guilty. I bought his First Watt J2, albeit a demonstrator model. Assembled by the man himself. But most of the Pass branded stuff doesn't do a lot for me, at least not enough to part me from my money.

Alcophone

The locking headphone jack pairs well with the sliding felt feet, conveniently turning the amp into a headphone anchor if you're not really careful.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's if as someone thought "nah,it's too pretty,let's man it up a little" and that connector was the second thought with the first one being painted like it was wrestling in mud.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you get to that price range, they may just be trying to distinguish the look from "budget" stuff.

And maybe an engineer picked that connector. Honestly, I'm used to that kind of look in a lab. It's ok by me.

Top Bottom