• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass Aleph 3 clone Class A amp experience

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vis-à-vis the clone, the question isn't whether the its distortion is terrible, (it is), but how much worse it is than the original Pass Labs product. To be fair to the clone, if you liked the original, would you like clone?
Exactly. But even if the clone was a faithful reproduction of the real thing (and I'm not at all sure it is), I'd still feel bad about buying stuff from pirates.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. But even if the clone was a faithful reproduction of the real thing (and I'm not at all sure it is), I'd still feel bad about buying stuff from pirates.
The question of pirating designs is an other matter of course.

In that regard I believe I've heard that Nelson Pass is pretty nonchalant about people copying his older designs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In that regard I believe I've heard that Nelson Pass is pretty nonchalant about people copying his older designs.
Yes, you're right about that. Although he usually resents people making money on it. Fine with DIYers.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

And rightfully so.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nelson Pass has learned the hard way to keep his designs more or less secret until they are no longer in production.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This whole return it if you don’t like it is BS. It is killing sellers and is hard on the planet as the stuff is often just trashed and not resold. When did it become a thing? Used to be you could not return anything unless it was deficient or damaged. And then you might get an exchange not a refund.
Get off my lawn!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole return it if you don’t like it is BS.
It's colloquially referred to in sales circles as the , "Puppy dog close." Before the internet and e-tailers it was considered a last resort and only for weak kneed salespeople. Management hated the puppy dog close because it meant open box product that had to be sold at a discount and took all sorts of extra paperwork and rigmarole. Take the puppy home for a few days and see how it works out...lol :facepalm: But with today's lack of home audio retailers the online sales outlets need the tactic to encourage peeps to buy.

I found these pictures

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 189
This whole return it if you don’t like it is BS. It is killing sellers and is hard on the planet as the stuff is often just trashed and not resold. When did it become a thing? Used to be you could not return anything unless it was deficient or damaged. And then you might get an exchange not a refund.
Get off my lawn!
I'm sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to harm anyone, it wasn't malicious, I'm not like that Giuseppe

It's colloquially referred to in sales circles as the , "Puppy dog close." Before the internet and e-tailers it was considered a last resort and only for weak kneed salespeople. Management hated the puppy dog close because it meant open box product that had to be sold at a discount and took all sorts of extra paperwork and rigmarole. Take the puppy home for a few days and see how it works out...lol :facepalm: But with today's lack of home audio retailers the online sales outlets need the tactic to encourage peeps to buy.
I'm sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to harm anyone, it wasn't malicious, I'm not like that
Giuseppe

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

We have no idea if the design is pirated. The trademarks and trade dress absolutely are. I assume that anyone who does that cannot be trusted in any way whatsoever, so god knows what's in the innards.

Never buy so-called "clones."

Top Bottom