• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass ACA Class A Power Amplifier Review

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, Thomas. After 20+ years of participating in audio forums and a couple of years of moderating them at AudioAsylum.com, I should know better than to respond to trolls.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ah, that's where I've been going wrong! You have a bidirectional canine cable tester. My single ended undirectional feline cable tester is much faster, but less accurate.

So, you have a (sorry) cat scan?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ha. Never said anything about "high fidelity". I'm talking about a fun peace of gear. You should read carefully and respond accordingly.
You should take a class in better communication so that we can figure out what you are saying. Are you typing on a phone or something?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But mine makes some noise on some 88dB-bookshelve-speaker, from a Usb-DAC.
Those sensitivity numbers are marketing specs. So don't run with them that way.

Do you have a more powerful amplifier or this is your only experience with hifi?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Yes Don, and I also installed the optional capacitor upgrade too!

He now can also function as a Cat-A-Lytic Converter... :facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes Don, and I also installed the optional capacitor upgrade too!

He now can also function as a Cat-A-Lytic Converter... :facepalm:

This is becoming a cat-astrophy.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

The truth is, he's a good cable tester or cat scanner. He only tests white power cables, and only the plug end. (true story) His test probes (teeth) are very sharp and piece the insulation to get good contact.

Thank goodness we only have a few appliances with white plugs- these are box fans in the boy's rooms...

cat probed (1).jpeg

cat probed (2).jpeg

We think the plugs and leads are like a snake to him so he tries to 'kill' them (he had a run in with a 12ft scrub python once) Why white? Anyone's guess. Other colours don't interest him.

Anyway, we love Julio. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You should take a class in better communication so that we can figure out what you are saying. Are you typing on a phone or something?
Could we maybe work up a small entrance exam to become a member of ASR?
Nothing fancy but I'm sure we could put something together with 5 to 10 questions max to determine whither a applicant
is deserving of becoming a part of our community or just looking to be a nuisance. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Or one of those horrible Captcha things- "which of the following pictures do not contain useless audiophile tweaks"- that'd weed out plenty automatically.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nothing fancy but I'm sure we could put something together with 5 to 10 questions max to determine whither a applicant
is deserving of becoming a part of our community or just looking to be a nuisance. :)

Or, a more actively moderated novice designation/section, before they can move on to post on the main threads?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Or, a more actively moderated novice designation/section, before they can move on to post on the main threads?

Like the toddler's wading pool at the public swimming pool- they need their swim certificate before jumping in the deep end?

Thomas is the lifeguard on duty and is quite good at fishing them off the bottom and giving them mouth to mouth resuscitation, or just pronouncing them dead and moving on.

m8o

Forum Donor
Or one of those horrible Captcha things- "which of the following pictures do not contain useless audiophile tweaks"- that'd weed out plenty automatically.
The infamous Triphaser must be prominently displayed. :p
20191118_221009.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Like the toddler's wading pool at the public swimming pool- they need their swim certificate before jumping in the deep end?

Thomas is the lifeguard on duty and is quite good at fishing them off the bottom and giving them mouth to mouth resuscitation, or just pronouncing them dead and moving on.

Exactly...
That keeps that kiddie pool 'water' out of the grown up pool. Too many just come in and shit their diaper, then leave/get kicked. Some survive the diaper rash...many don't.

readerA

I don't think it's serving any good, but here's why Amirm and me are having arguments:

Considering that his first diy-amp dates back to 1968, he
a) is experienced
b) has survived it

I mean this as a compliment.
I guess he's somewhere in his 58-66.
That's not the point, but tells me he knows what he's doing when measuring.
But then he diminished himself when he tried to be sarcastic about the ACA.

I'm not nearly up to his technical experience and skills, but I'm still (more than ever) convinced that the conclusion of his

Listening Tests

are by no means accurate, or, as he stated somewhere else, "sticking to the science behind it".
Those conclusions were just meant to be mean.

Why does this upset me?
Here's (copy-pasted) how he claimed to evaluate audio-gear (or how it should be done):

In audio science, the only accepted method is blind, volume controlled testing. Is this what you did?

If not, then your impression and that of others is not reliable. On ASR Forum and myself, we are 100% in the camp of following established guidelines for subjective evaluation of audio products. We follow AES, ASA, IEEE Spectrum, etc. all of which only accept results of controlled tests.

Uncontrolled tests routinely produce wrong results. Many people hear the word "class A" and automatically assume it is better than class AB or D. Add Nelson Pass' name to it and it is assured you go into such tests with predisposition to like this amp.

That is not the only source of error. When you are evaluating audio gear, you focus more, and as a result, you hear more. Your perception of audio is highly elastic. You would go nuts if your brain attempted to capture all that you hear all the time. Normally vast majority of what you hear is thrown out. But when you start to listen to something new, that changes and with it, makes any comparison to prior experiences invalid.

To avoid the above issues, we perform such tests blind. And run enough trials to make sure that the listener did not get lucky with a guess or two.

I would think anyone who wants to learn electronics would understand the need to stick to science behind it, not invent its own notion of what is a proper listening test.

Had he followed those guidelines further than the first paragraph (the measurements), he'd been inclined to meaningfully reproduce what he heard while listening.
(And again, as I know from my own experience that his conclusion—«I could barely hear it. There was no bass naturally. But not much above that either»—wasn't even closely objective, accurate, or whatever virtue one would expect from a expert.)

So, while nobody is disputing neither his measurement-/technical skills, nor that the ACA ain't no hifi- (or highend-, haha) amplifier, his so-called conclusion is nothing but a distorted smear, and with that, Amirm stands squarely to his own guidelines.

It would be really funny to see the results of the ACA being evaluated under the only accepted conditions / method: blind, volume controlled testing (see above).
It would be even funnier to expand this into a contest: ACA versus vintage 1993 Classé A/B amplifier versus a DIY-30-bucks-candobetter-superduperamp. Blind, volume-controlled, fair.

I can't work out what your point is but can you dial down the obnoxious and rude tone of your posts please .

If your wondering to which posts I'm referring, all of them.

thanks
Ok, I'll try to be a bit less obnoxious (nice word, btw).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
(And again, as I know from my own experience that his conclusion—«I could barely hear it. There was no bass naturally. But not much above that either»wasn't even closely objective, accurate, or whatever virtue one would expect from a expert.)

Well, yeah, that was his unreliable subjective perception*.

Can subjective impressions be objective?

*I think listening perceptions were sometimes added after the early reviews by demand of the folks who need to know "how it (whatever) sounds".

It would be really funny to see the results of the ACA being evaluated under the only accepted conditions

It was objectively measured.

Last edited:

readerA

Well, yeah, that was his unreliable subjective perception*.

Can subjective impressions be objective?

*I think listening perceptions were sometimes added after the early reviews by demand of the folks who need to know "how it (whatever) sounds".

It was objectively measured.

I don't question that.

Although, here's his claim from his lecture over at diyaudio: «In audio science, the only accepted method is blind, volume controlled testing. Is this what you did?»

It seems that it is the authors subjective impression that he's objectively evaluating ACA.
ACA being some kind of audio-gear, what then about the other stuff he... ok. He objectively measured it. Fine.
case closed?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't question that.

Although, here's his claim from his lecture over at diyaudio: «In audio science, the only accepted method is blind, volume controlled testing. Is this what you did?»

It seems that it is the authors subjective impression that he's objectively evaluating ACA.
ACA being some kind of audio-gear, what then about the other stuff he... ok. He objectively measured it. Fine.
case closed?

Subjective comparisons need to be done blind and matched. Subjective evaluations certainly have value...in this case he wasn't comparing it to anything, he was just identifying basic operating limitations. Hard to know what to compare it to, or why. The measurements obviate the need for sharpening the pencil much further...

readerA

Subjective comparisons need to be done blind and matched. Subjective evaluations certainly have value...in this case he wasn't comparing it to anything. Hard to know what to compare it to, or why. The measurements obviate the need for sharpening the pencil much further...

Hard to know what to compare it to or why only if one doesn't want, or dare, to find out.
By evading the comparison, Amirm renounces to meet his own claim.
He acts unprofessional and knows it.
He becomes mediocre at best.

Top Bottom